Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #136
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Here's the written decision of the high court if anyone is interested:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/...68.html#para12
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #137
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's no "may" about it. It is against the law (unless you have the permission of the copyright holder, of course).
Or you are the copyright holder. Why were none of the people using TPB for promotional purposes not consulted? Who will compensate them for their loss of earnings?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #138
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Because the High Court tells me so, and they know a lot more about English law than I do.
Judges don't always get it right, especially about things they have little or no knowledge about. We had a judge once who said women who wear skimpy clothes deserve to be raped.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #139
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I hate to quote something at such length, but one of the commenters on a story at Techdirt (here) posted the finest summary of the case that I've yet seen:
A good description. Which clearly shows that the courts decision was based on information from just one side. So the English courts decision cannot be trusted.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #140
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Worth pointing out that although all the discussion is about the actions of the UK courts, the law the rightsholders are using is a transposition of a European directive, so broadly the same would apply in any EU country.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #141
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
I realize we're not talking about US courts, but this would fail the O'Brien test in America. While distributing copyright materials may be against the law, I would see the linking as similar to the actual O'Brien case.
The claim is not that the operators of TPB are infringing by directly copying works.
It is that
a) Users of TPB are infringing by copying
b) The operators of TPB are infringing by authorising the users' acts, and
c) are jointly liable for them
So whether they do or don't host actual files, torrent files or just magnet links doesn't matter.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #142
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
The MPAA should just hire some former black ops to take out the Pirate Bay and the founders. If they can take care of a Latin American dictator, I'm sure they can handle some IT nerds.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #143
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
The MPAA should just hire some former black ops to take out the Pirate Bay and the founders. If they can take care of a Latin American dictator, I'm sure they can handle some IT nerds.
I can NOT believe you just, even jokingly, suggested that someone be killed over entertainment data...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #144
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
Just like roads are tools used to transport people and goods, and they may be and are used to commit crimes, should we block those too?
As a general principle, the law should look at the primary purpose for the tool. In much of the US, there are laws against laypeople possessing tools specifically designed to pick locks. Now there are other tools, such as ice picks, that might also do the job, albeit not as easily. Those are always legal. And there are legal things you could do with a lock picking tool -- including, I think, breaking apart blocks of ice. It's hard to imagine any tool with no legal purposes, or any society in which every tool is unregulated.

I've posted before that I would rather this ruling be overturned because I think dictatorships will use it as an excuse to censor ideas. But if it was just a question of whether Pirate Bay is more like a road, or more like a set of lock picking tools, I'd say the latter.

Question: Press accounts I have read say little about the possibility of the ruling being appealed, even though there are two UK appeals levels above the High Court. Will it be appealed? And how often is the High Court overruled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
We had a judge once who said women who wear skimpy clothes deserve to be raped.
Unless that judge now sits on the High Court of Justice of England and Wales, this sounds like guilt by association. Just one of my personal bugaboos.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #145
lostmymarbles
Hunger Games Survivor
lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kindle
Thank god its British ISPs and not Australian ISPs.
lostmymarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #146
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmymarbles View Post
Thank god its British ISPs and not Australian ISPs.
After AFACT's epic fail, I am not sure even the Feds would be keen on this sort of thing.

BUT

Conroy might be so concerned about "Spams through my portals" that he might resurrect his great Australian Internet Filter.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #147
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking TPB decision ? e-a-s-y-y ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Here's the written decision of the high court if anyone is interested:
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/...68.html#para12
Well, I've had a crack at this, and have finally got to the end.
After a lot of sweat, I reckon I know what they're on about, and what was decided.

The next thing I would normally say is along the lines of "why can't lawyers make legal things simple, MUCH shorter, and easy enough to read, well, easily".
(I ignore the rational argument that they have to cover every loophole, & just want - in my case - Plain English)

However, I've just had to cope with my son's new house tenancy agreement, and our guarantor form that he's good for the cash.
At first sight, my heart leapt - ours was one page, with about 25 lines on it, and his about double.
Great........

However, this involved around 6/7 phone calls to legals, 4 to the letting agency, 7 to the other parents prepared to sign away their financial security for a year, and about a dozen to and from son, plus texts, to reassure him that all was being sorted out. Oh, and a couple from our accountants asking why their standard confirmation forms, good enough for IBM, Sothebys, and the local council, weren't OK for a small West Country letting agency.

The main problem - apart from the letting agency not understanding their "standard form" either - was the terminology used, "licencee" being a typical example.
( Or, not calling a spade a bloody spade, but a terrain repositioning device without prejudice.)

So I found the TPB tract a doddle compared to a legal tenancy agreement, and would recommend it for a pretty decent light read.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #148
Jazzy_Jeffaz
Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Jazzy_Jeffaz is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Because the High Court tells me so, and they know a lot more about English law than I do.
You need to think for yourself. Slavery used to be legal but that did not make it right. The courts used to uphold this as well.
Jazzy_Jeffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #149
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy_Jeffaz View Post
You need to think for yourself. Slavery used to be legal but that did not make it right. The courts used to uphold this as well.
You've had a chance now to read the court's decision. Which parts of it do you disagree with, may I ask?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #150
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

Question: Press accounts I have read say little about the possibility of the ruling being appealed, even though there are two UK appeals levels above the High Court. Will it be appealed? And how often is the High Court overruled?

Unless that judge now sits on the High Court of Justice of England and Wales, this sounds like guilt by association. Just one of my personal bugaboos.
This case won't be appealed. The ISPs barely participated in the first place because they had no particular interest in wasting tons of money on defending an issue that they don't really care about and The Pirate Bay wasn't a party to the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
The next thing I would normally say is along the lines of "why can't lawyers make legal things simple, MUCH shorter, and easy enough to read, well, easily". (I ignore the rational argument that they have to cover every loophole, & just want - in my case - Plain English)
It's hard to charge $250 an hour to review documents that a human could read. And actually, periodically a "plain drafting" movement will get some steam in the legal industry. Unfortunately, a lot of legal documents that are "translated" to plain language end up losing some important detail or changing the detail of something small (small that is, until it goes to court).

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 05-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote