Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Converting PDF to MOBI, weird characters in story

I use a Mac and tried to batch convert some PDF and LIT files to MOBI.

This is the result I got:

Any clue as to what is causing these weird characters in place of the correct punctuation? I have tested it with PDF and LIT formatted e-books and I get the same result for both.

I really wish I could get this figured out since this looks like the best program to convert my e-books for my Kindle!

Last edited by cloudyvisions; 11-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
First off, do not try to convert eBooks that have been run through ABC Amber anything converter. Horrible software. That said, it's an encoding issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I converted a LIT book yesterday with the ConvertLIT GUI (use Google). I then ran the resulting .opf file though MobiPocket Creator (installed as Publisher Edition) and I was good to go (no weird symbols).

You can also use MobiPocket Creator with your PDF file since it looks to be mostly text.

EDIT: Rats, I just noticed you said you were on a Mac. MobipocketCreator is a PC program only. Not sure about ConvertLIT. Sorry.

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-20-2009 at 05:26 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyvisions View Post
I use a Mac and tried to batch convert some PDF and LIT files to MOBI.

This is the result I got:

Any clue as to what is causing these weird characters in place of the correct punctuation? I have tested it with PDF and LIT formatted e-books and I get the same result for both.

I really wish I could get this figured out since this looks like the best program to convert my e-books for my Kindle!
I would guess that the file is not tagged with the correct code for UTF-8 characters. I get exactly this problem with html2mobi when I have an web page using UTF-8 since html2mobi does not handle UTF-8 correctly,
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

OK, well here is another e-book that is in PDF format that I bought that way.

And same problem. If it's an encoding issue, is it with my e-book, the program, my computer, or what? Simply stating it's an encoding issue doesn't help much.

Last edited by cloudyvisions; 11-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
definitely looks like an ecoding issue. cant say more without access to the source files
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

OK, let's see if I can attach these right...haha
Old 05-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both work fine for me. Try specifying an encoding of utf-8 in the conversion options.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Both work fine for me. Try specifying an encoding of utf-8 in the conversion options.
Is there a help topic that can show me how to go about doing that? I opened the "set defaults for conversion" section and didn't see where I could specify that setting. Sorry, I'm just very unfamiliar with e-book programs like these!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

look under the look & feel section of the conversion settings the option is named "source encoding"
Old 05-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #11
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
look under the look & feel section of the conversion settings the option is named "source encoding"
Well, I typed in "utf-8" in the "source encoding" text box, and got the same result. I tried with both PDF and LIT formatted files and no change, so I'm not really sure what else to do. I did upgrade to .5.13 thinking that might help but didn't notice any change.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I can't reproduce using 0.6 so it looks like it was fixed during the conversion framework changes.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I can't reproduce using either 0.5.x or using 0.6 so the problem is likely something in the OP's environment