Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That makes 49! I wonder if we'll make 50 participants by the end of today?
Old 01-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #47
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I hope we do! Happy New Year!!
Advert
Old 01-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #48
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Just added Jacklyn Brady as my first new author for this year's goals. Hope the second book in the series is as good as the first.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #49
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Starting the year off right with a 4.5star manga. Good stuff!
Old 01-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #50
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've settled on the following this year:

• Read 75 books in total (the first must be Game of Thrones, which was given to me for my Birthday by my eldest daughter)
• Read a book in each of 40 predefined categories
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 AM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not quite. But we are now at 50 participants! Welcome Phyllis41!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #52
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not quite. But we are now at 50 participants! Welcome Phyllis41!
Yay!

Welcome, Phyllis4.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #53
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I started my first title for 2017 (afte midnight new year's day)
It is Watership Down by Richard Adams. It's a book I had been meaning to read all my life, and only just now decided to read it due to Mr. Adams's passing.

So far I am enjoying this so much! I admit, I had been turned off of "talking animal" books after growing up with A.A. Milne classics, then when I had my own children reading "Arthur" books, and my daughter got into Brian Jacques Redwall series. None of it appeals to me.

This, however is a classic all on its own that looks (5 chapters in so far) like one I will re-read again and again. Too bad it took me nearly 50 years
Old 01-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #54
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I started off this years challenge with two non fiction books read. Both WW2 books by war correspondent Ernie Pyle. Brave Men & Ernie Pyle in England. Both were very good. I'll need to watch how others have set up their own threads for 2017. I guess I can just wait till the end of January and add a total of books read under different genres. Then that would be my monthly totals.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #55
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've decided to make my descriptions of the books I read in my 2017 list longer than I've done before. Especially for collections of stories - I'm going to try to comment on every story, rather than just an overall assessment, which is really what my star rating is for.

I've just done reviews of the two magazine issues I've read this year (Analog and Grantville Gazette). It was good to review to stories again after having read them all.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've added two goals to my intentions for the year, although they don't reach challenge status.

The first, inspired by DrNefario's story-a-day challenge last year, is to read some poetry daily. I'm finding it a little hard to remember as yet, but so far, so good, even though a couple of times it's happened after I've got into bed. I figure developing the habit is the most important aspect at first, but I'd like to get more purposeful about it. Poetry isn't popcorn.

The second is to increase the quality of the books I read. I was disappointed last year that I barely achieved a three-star rating overall at Goodreads. Since three stars is my baseline, that means the good books were entirely offset by the mediocre to poor. Some outside factors contributed to the lackluster showing, but while I'm pretty good at abandoning books I dislike, I need to become even more ruthless, as well as choosier. Abandoned books don't count toward my totals, but there's no point in throwing more time after wasted time. I've amused myself by creating a worst category, so at least I get to clock the duds that way.

I'm pleased that the three books I've finished so far have rated at five, three and four stars respectively and that I've already jettisoned another book.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #57
Nyssa
Series Addict

Decisions, Decisions

I'm hoping to finally update my challenge, with my first book read, by this evening.

I'm not sure, however, if I want to:
  • Add a link to the book description,
  • Add a link to my review of the book, or
  • Not link to anything at all.

If I link to the book description, I may also include my star rating. Again, however, I'm not sure.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #58
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm hoping to finally update my challenge, with my first book read, by this evening.

I'm not sure, however, if I want to:
  • Add a link to the book description,
  • Add a link to my review of the book, or
  • Not link to anything at all.

If I link to the book description, I may also include my star rating. Again, however, I'm not sure.
Add a link to your review for sure! some of us like that :-)
Old 01-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #59
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Add a link to your review for sure! some of us like that :-)
Cool! Thank you.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #60
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

rats, wrong thread. Sorry...

Last edited by Ravensknight; 01-07-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: wrong thread :-X
Closed Thread