Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #46
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
I presume the database could easily hold the string for each file designating its place on the disk. My structure of choice would then be would be
The database can easily hold anything we want. The code that handles all path renaming, movement, and consistency management, while guaranteeing transaction semantics (try *very hard* to not lose data) is not at all easy.

The bottom line is that those of us who know how to make such a change don't care. If you care, then make the change and submit it. There is a good chance it would in incorporated if you can demonstrate that it works in all the corner cases.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #47
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I wish I was offered the choice in the preferences a setup where there was a build your own structure with tags....
There is. It's called "Save file as...."
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you edit the metadata in Calibre, will it rename the file to reflect the edited medtadata? I've not really used the GUI. So I'm not up on all the latest and greatest features of the GUI.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #49
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you edit the metadata in Calibre, will it rename the file to reflect the edited medtadata? I've not really used the GUI. So I'm not up on all the latest and greatest features of the GUI.
Yes, assuming you change the title or the authors.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #50
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
My structure of choice would then be would be

......<genre>\<author>\<filename>
etc
Wouldn't that limit you to tagging books with only one genre?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #51
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One would think so, which would really leave him stuck if he were tagging an anthology of short stories by one author which covered, say, fantasy, SF, and historical fiction, or one that had both fiction and non-fiction. And, of course, there's the question of where you file something with two or more authors. Ah, how I love calibre.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #52
N13L5
tenjooberrymuds
N13L5 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Wouldn't that limit you to tagging books with only one genre?

Graham
true, though you could still tag it with other genres in the keywords... not quite the same, of course.

Somehow, for me, it would be no loss, I don't actually tag books with more than one genre, though I understand it maybe useful for some purposes.

My main problem is that having books sorted by author doesn't really work:

I wouldn't want to have to remember the names of 50 authors of various programming books, in order to find the one book dealing with XML in Python...

Bookstores certainly sort their shelves by genre first, subject second, and author third. The Barns&Nobles in Santa Monica sections their floors by genre, then shelves are by subject, and in a given subject, you get an alphabetic setup by author.

Accessing books in Calibre's directory from windows explorer is an absolutely useless excercise, cause there's just loads of folders with author names that mean nothing to me.

Currently, I'm misusing the series field to sort books into directories that work for finding related books: one series is called Python, another is called Database, another Java, another Jack Vance, another H.P.Lovecraft, (those writers made their own genre anyway) etc.

Its not optimal use of Calibre's facilities, but at least I can sort the books into folders that allow me to quickly find what I'm looking for.

my save template looks like this:

{series}/{title} ({pubdate}) - {isbn} {publisher}

You can see, I don't even bother with the author in the filename, I could care less who wrote it, really...

If you have mostly fiction books instead of technical books, authors matter more, since most people will never forget who wrote your favorite stories
N13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #53
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by N13L5 View Post
Accessing books in Calibre's directory from windows explorer is an absolutely useless excercise, cause there's just loads of folders with author names that mean nothing to me.
Well, we've been round that loop. It's a useless exercise that you don't need to engage in - unless you want to conserve disk space and don't want to rely on Calibre's metadata handling.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #54
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Are you doing this because of a Reading Device limitation?

You can use the Tag to select just the files with the tag you want and then "Save to disk" into a chosen sub folder on your device.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #55
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
I have one complaint with calibre. It totally borks my whole computer anytime it's doing something.

I can render HD video with less slowdown in premeire pro. I just don't understand why this little program, with relatively small files, uses my system resources in such a way that even surfing the web is near impossible while it's converting/importing/downloading metadata for files.

That said it has improved a lot since I last used it over a year ago. Now I can manage a quite large library and export to my new reader with little problem. I just think the program still needs a little optimisation work. Maybe the people who sing calibres praises the loudest are the ones who don't the gui. But for the simpletons like me, it's all we have got.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #56
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles View Post
I can render HD video with less slowdown in premeire pro. I just don't understand why this little program, with relatively small files, uses my system resources in such a way that even surfing the web is near impossible while it's converting/importing/downloading metadata for files.
Calibre give you complete control over the resources you give its worker processes. Go to Preferences - Interface - Behavior and change Job Priority from Normal to Low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles View Post
Maybe the people who sing calibres praises the loudest are the ones who don't the gui. But for the simpletons like me, it's all we have got.
I would guess that 99.99% of the folks primarily use the GUI.

If the above isn't enough then go to Preferences - Advanced - Miscellaneous and check the box Limit the max. simultaneous jobs to the available cpu cores.

Doing the top item I suggested allows me to do whatever I want while calibre handles bulk updates for me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #57
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Calibre give you complete control over the resources you give its worker processes. Go to Preferences - Interface - Behavior and change Job Priority from Normal to Low.

I would guess that 99.99% of the folks primarily use the GUI.

If the above isn't enough then go to Preferences - Advanced - Miscellaneous and check the box Limit the max. simultaneous jobs to the available cpu cores.

Doing the top item I suggested allows me to do whatever I want while calibre handles bulk updates for me.
Thanks. The CPU lockup was driving me mad.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #58
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by N13L5 View Post
There's your problem. Access them from calibre instead, and the problem is solved.

Want your Python book? Type "pyt" into the search field and it'll be right in front of you. Want all your XP books? Pick "xp" in the tag browser to the left. No matter how complicated your specs for a book, calibre can find it. And if you tag properly, the search is nothing more than a couple of tag browser clicks.

Please ... please ... read my .sig.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #59
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
There's your problem. Access them from calibre instead, and the problem is solved.
He already explained how he uses the save template, that is accessing them from calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Please ... please ... read my .sig.
Your Sig, while well expressed, isn't the answer to everything.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #60
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles;
Thanks. The CPU lockup was driving me mad.
What OS are you running?

I found that if you are running Windows on a single processor/core machine performance of the whole machine is much smoother if you start Calibre via batch file with the /belownormal priority option, and also set the background calibre jobs via the Calibre preferences to run at low priority. As long as you have no heavy foreground tasks Calibre seems as responsive as normal but the machine as a whole is much more responsive when you switch away from Calibre.

Whether you would get a similar benefit on multi processor/core machines I do not know.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote