Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #16
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
I'd say that one of the later battles was unbelievable, except that I suspect that Mr O'Brian could point me to a report of a very similar action that really did take place.
Apparently Jack's character and many of his adventures are modeled in part upon those of Lord Thomas Cochrane (1775-1860).

Spoiler:
If you were referring to the defeat of the Cacafeugo, that indeed based on Cochrane's capture of the Spanish xebec El Gamo while in command of much smaller vessel. Also, point of interest: "Cacafuego" is a rather a rather colorful term in Spanish.

Last edited by ElspethB; 07-14-2016 at 08:18 AM.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Interesting, I hadn't known that. I knew he researched his battles thoroughly, but not that he'd modeled Jack after Lord Cochrane.

I'm still at the second significant battle. Haven't gotten to the Cacafeugo yet, though we've had our first mention of it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
And I'd pictured Aubrey as a big, redheaded bear of a man, an English Viking with a heart of mush. Not shortish, unapproachable Russell C.
Huh?? Jack is described has having long blond hair. A big man, yes. But Russell Crowe does a good job. Now Maturin on the other hand....
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think we can all agree that Paul Bettany was a "curious" choice for Stephen. I'm still flabbergasted. But despite that, I wish the movie had done well enough that we'd gotten more. Though what I'd really like would be an honest adaptation, book by book, instead of a mashup.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:37 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm really enjoying the humor this time through. I'm going to quote one passage, in regard to a seaman who's to be court martialed for carnal relations with a goat:
Quote:
'What will happen to him?'

'Oh, he'll be hanged. Run up at the yard-arm, and boats attending from every ship in the fleet.'

'That seems a little extreme.'

'Of course it is. Oh, what an infernal bore - witnesses going over to the flagship by the dozen, days lost....The Sophie a laughing-stock. Why will they report these thing? The goat must be slaughtered - that's but fair - and it shall be served out to the mess that informed on him.'
Such a ludicrous indictment of a brutal society.... Poor goat! I can't imagine it was a willing participant.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #21
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Come on Issy. You didn't quote the best part.

Quote:
‘Well,’ said Jack, whose anger had died down. ‘Perhaps there is something in what you propose. A dish of tea? You take milk, sir?’
‘Goat’s milk, sir?’
‘Why, I suppose it is.’
‘Perhaps without milk, then, if you please.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Come on Issy. You didn't quote the best part.
I didn't want to go on too long, but yes.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)

These books are funny. One of the things I like about them.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:03 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I like it that our heroes hold to the views of the day, rather than have late-20th century attitudes, which is a flaw in so many historical novels. Stephen's enthusiasm for medical blood letting, for example.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #25
Polemides
Polemides began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Interesting, I hadn't known that. I knew he researched his battles thoroughly, but not that he'd modeled Jack after Lord Cochrane.

I'm still at the second significant battle. Haven't gotten to the Cacafeugo yet, though we've had our first mention of it.
I nearly didn't get into the series because of this. I had recently read the great biography "Cochrane: Britannia's sea wolf" before starting M&C. My first impression was that Patrick O'Brian merely had copied Cochranes deeds and added a few bells & whistles. But I'm glad that I stayed on for 21 books
Polemides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #26
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I like it that our heroes hold to the views of the day, rather than have late-20th century attitudes, which is a flaw in so many historical novels. Stephen's enthusiasm for medical blood letting, for example.
Not to mention Stephen's rather lackadaisical attitude toward hygiene! To a modern sensibility it seems so odd for a man of medicine to be so grubby, and yet it makes perfect sense for the time period.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Not to mention Stephen's rather lackadaisical attitude toward hygiene! To a modern sensibility it seems so odd for a man of medicine to be so grubby, and yet it makes perfect sense for the time period.
Yes, I thought the bit about the dissecting knife just needing a wipe, not a wash, before being used to carve their supper was very authentic.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, I thought the bit about the dissecting knife just needing a wipe, not a wash, before being used to carve their supper was very authentic.
The irony for me is that while Stephen disparages a surgeon's work relative to his calling as a physician; sepsis notwithstanding, I'd rather have trusted my life to a surgeon of that period than a doctor. What with the various tinctures, nostrums, bleedings, cuppings and so forth that were the standard tools of the trade of the physician, it's a truism that the patient got better in spite of the doctor's care.

As for Stephen v. Jack, when I tot up their characteristics, good and bad, I would tend to go for Stephen despite Jack's compelling joie de vivre, except for Stephen's slovenliness, which is gross.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hmm. I think I prefer Stephen to Jack because of Stephen's science. He's willing to try virtually anything, with sometimes fairly horrible results. But that doesn't even seem to slow him down the next time. And he has such excitement about a new bug or bird. (This is seen less in this book than in later ones, but there are still plenty of examples here.)

With Jack, it's his joie de vivre here in this book, but so many other qualities that come to the fore later in the series. Loyalty, a compelling mathematical mind, and his absolute fecklessness ashore.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Nothing like a couple of 4 hour car trips to move the reading along! Just finished Master and Commander, finishing with the Patrick Tull narration. I'll have some further comments in the coming days.

Tags
aubrey/maturin, master and commander, patrick o'brian