Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-09-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
wladdy
Enthusiast
wladdy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / Kindle DX
Getting IDs of books selected in the GUI

Is there a direct way to get through the CLI the IDs of the books currently selected in the GUI?

Today, my workaround involves a custom Yes/No column whose lookup name is "current". In the GUI, I set to "Yes" the value for that column of the selected files. Then, running the following command in the CLI returns the IDs that I want:

Code:
calibredb list -w 1000 -s '#current:"Yes"' | sed -n 's_^\([[:digit:]]\+\) .*_\1_p'
This method works well enough, but requires the hassle of dealing with a dummy custom column. I'd be grateful to anyone suggesting a better, more direct approach.

Many thanks! W.
wladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there's no way to query the state of the GUI from the CLI. You could if you wish write a GUI plugin that exposes whatever state you like via a socket, but there is no builtin way to do that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wladdy View Post
Is there a direct way to get through the CLI the IDs of the books currently selected in the GUI?

Today, my workaround involves a custom Yes/No column whose lookup name is "current". In the GUI, I set to "Yes" the value for that column of the selected files. Then, running the following command in the CLI returns the IDs that I want:

Code:
calibredb list -w 1000 -s '#current:"Yes"' | sed -n 's_^\([[:digit:]]\+\) .*_\1_p'
This method works well enough, but requires the hassle of dealing with a dummy custom column. I'd be grateful to anyone suggesting a better, more direct approach.

Many thanks! W.
If I understand you correctly, you want to select some books in the GUI then run some CLI command on those books. There isn't any way to do this. The CLI doesn't know that the GUI is running, much less have any access to the state of the GUI.

A GUI plugin can see the selection and do almost arbitrary things with it. For example, you might be able to modify the open-with plugin to run cli commands on books.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
wladdy
Enthusiast
wladdy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / Kindle DX
Thank you for the prompt replies, I'll just keep using my workaround - Kovid's suggestion is way beyond my skill level!

A good week-end to all and, to Kovid, my wishes of full recovery! W.
wladdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibredb, cli, gui, selected, selection