Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Moving Books from Kindle for PC

Alert! Technically-challenged newbie here.

Recently got my Kindle 3 and several books I'd ordered from Amazon were on it when I switched it on. However, I've just downloaded a title from Project Gutenberg, and it's there on my Kindle for PC, but I can't figure out how to get it onto my Kindle 3.

Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
hook up USB cord to PC, click Sync or press F5, then turn on wifi and sync items in the menu. They should be listed under archived items
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Also project Gutenberg have a wonderful mobile version of there website which you can access via the Kindles experimental web browser at m.gutenberg.org

The bonus is that by accessing it with your Kindle (I've bookmarked the website as I use it often) you can download kindle ebooks straight on to the device - no having to hook up via USB.

I used it just an hour ago to download Gullivers Travels. It's genius!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Thanks to both of you for the help. I navigated to m.gutenberg.org but, strangely, my browser won't let me type anything, which makes finding the titles I want almost impossible.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Simply use the USB connection to copy the book from your PC into the "documents" folder on the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Simply use the USB connection to copy the book from your PC into the "documents" folder on the Kindle.
This is the easiest approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl
hook up USB cord to PC, click Sync or press F5, then turn on wifi and sync items in the menu. They should be listed under archived items.
This won't do a thing for you with titles downloaded from Project Gutenberg. Besides, the USB connection isn't used for any typing of 'syncing' whatsover. You're still confused on this.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Ekdog, have you looked at the over 15,000 ebooks availabe here in our Patricia C. Clark Memorial Library?

Same books you'd find in PG, (well, we don't have quite as many!) but better formatted by our own members.

Click on the link below for starter help.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
Ekdog
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Believe me, Harry, I'm not being deliberately obtuse, but I don't know how to do this. Perhaps you (or another patient soul who happens to be reading this) can let me know where I'm going wrong.

First, with my Kindle 3 connected via USB to my PC, I click on the download tab on the Gutenberg page, then I choose the Kindle format. Firefox gives me the option of opening or saving the file. I choose the latter. A window pops up showing that the file has been downloaded. I click on the file icon in this window. Up pops Kindle for PC and the book is ready for reading, but from here I don't know how to copy the book into the documents folder.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
Ekdog
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Ekdog, have you looked at the over 15,000 ebooks availabe here in our Patricia C. Clark Memorial Library?

Same books you'd find in PG, (well, we don't have quite as many!) but better formatted by our own members.

Click on the link below for starter help.
Thanks, Desert Grandma! I'll certainly have a look there if I ever figure out how to download the books to my Kindle.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Believe me, Harry, I'm not being deliberately obtuse, but I don't know how to do this. Perhaps you (or another patient soul who happens to be reading this) can let me know where I'm going wrong.

First, with my Kindle 3 connected via USB to my PC, I click on the download tab on the Gutenberg page, then I choose the Kindle format. Firefox gives me the option of opening or saving the file. I choose the latter. A window pops up showing that the file has been downloaded. I click on the file icon in this window. Up pops Kindle for PC and the book is ready for reading, but from here I don't know how to copy the book into the documents folder.
1. find where the book is stored on your PC - mine are in MY documents/My kindle content.
2. connect kindle with USB cable - it will appear as an extra drive in my computer. I also get a pop up saying connected - what do I want to do - select explore files & folders.
3. once you have found the kindle in MY computer or have opened it via the pop up - find its documents folder & open it.
4. copy book from MY Kindle content to the Kindle documents folder.
5. eject Kindle by right clicking it in My computer window, then disconnect USB cable
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #11
Ekdog
Connoisseur

Got it! Thanks so much to all of you!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Thanks to both of you for the help. I navigated to m.gutenberg.org but, strangely, my browser won't let me type anything, which makes finding the titles I want almost impossible.
I suspect it works for me because I'm using the 3.0.3 firmware update on my Kindle because I have no problem typing and searching on the site. You can get the latest firmware here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

Glad you got your problem sorted
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
1. find where the book is stored on your PC - mine are in MY documents/My kindle content.
2. connect kindle with USB cable - it will appear as an extra drive in my computer. I also get a pop up saying connected - what do I want to do - select explore files & folders.
3. once you have found the kindle in MY computer or have opened it via the pop up - find its documents folder & open it.
4. copy book from MY Kindle content to the Kindle documents folder.
5. eject Kindle by right clicking it in My computer window, then disconnect USB cable
Do what cybmole has stated above. An added hint is, when you click on the book to open it in Kindle for PC, it will move the book to the top of the file list in explorer in your 'my kindle content' folder. Makes it easier to find since the books are just listed by numbers and not names in this folder.

HTH,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
That's what I always do. It works!
It may work fine... but I guarantee you that the USB cord has nothing to do with it.

To those who think that the Kindle for PC application communicates (in any way, shape, or form) to the Kindle device by means of the USB cable,... you are mistaken. That's just not how it works.

K4PC communicates to Amazon's servers via the internet... the Kindle communicates to Amazon's servers via the internet (whether wifi or 3g), but K4PC and the Kindle do not talk to each other.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Ekdog
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I suspect it works for me because I'm using the 3.0.3 firmware update on my Kindle because I have no problem typing and searching on the site. You can get the latest firmware here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

Glad you got your problem sorted
Yes! I downloaded the update and I can now type with my browser. Downloaded Trollope's The Warden.

How can I be sure to know about these updates? Is there an e-mail list or something?

Last edited by Ekdog; 01-05-2011 at 11:14 AM.