Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Which is why we need to find another independent store or publisher to support, and keep trying to support the alternatives to Amazon.

With the exception, of course, of any alternatives that associate with Lori James of ARe.
I actually check Kobo now before I buy books but tbh as I'm now retired (due to redundancy) I have to buy at the cheapest price and a lot of the time it's Amazon plus I like Whispersync audiobooks so the majority of my purchases are at Amazon. Since the UK tax law came into place two years ago buying from anyone that's adds the 20% tax onto the ebook price is just too expensive now, and that was ARE. Amazon prices are just lower.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #17
Kiya
Addict
Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Customers are reporting on Facebook that ebucks are frozen and can't be used. Dreamspinner have offered to cover any of their authors pre orders on ARE upon proof of purchase. The general consensus, considering their email to authors, is that no refunds for pre orders will be paid out. They have also sold all add space for next year.

They are taking every penny they can. My Facebook is full of pissed off and angry authors and customers.

Plus they shut down the site on Saturday night, consequently it is slow, hanging and crashing as authors rush to deactivate books and readers try to download books.
I just now managed to spend my ebucks. The best is to buy books with them from your wish list, since that way you can be sure that they are still available. Most of my wish list is gone anyway but I manage to use ebucks and that is good thing.
Unfortunately I have two books pre-ordered with them and one already does not show in my library. I presume that this will be lost money since I doubt they will refund them. I did send them email asking about pre-orders. I do not think I'll get any answer, but who knows.
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If worse comes to worse pre-orders can be disputed with a persons CC company or PayPal I suppose (unless paid for with credit).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Maybe you can send the receipt to the author/publisher. Maybe they will honor it.

Happy to hear the store credit works.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Which is why we need to find another independent store or publisher to support, and keep trying to support the alternatives to Amazon.
There's always Smashwords. At least one of the indie publishers I like (Piccadilly Publishing) sells there. But I still buy their books from Amazon, because Smashwords currently just feels like such a mess.

Maybe if Smashwords courted more indie publishers and the site was given a facelift, they could be competition?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The formatting on some of Smashwords books are just horrible. It's not an authors fault either. Smashwords has had years to fix it but doesn't seem to care. I stopped buying from them years ago.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dreamspinner Press
Quote:
W/ @allromance closure, if you preordered Dreamspinner title, forward receipt and we'll honor via our store contactATdreamspinnerpressDOTcom
Old 12-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The formatting on some of Smashwords books are just horrible. It's not an authors fault either. Smashwords has had years to fix it but doesn't seem to care. 8
Well yes and no. When all they had was the meatgrinder there was a huge problem. They now allow authors to upload their own handmade ePub though (and have for awhile).

Their site pretty much sucks though.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well yes and no. When all they had was the meatgrinder there was a huge problem. They now allow authors to upload their own handmade ePub though (and have for awhile).

That is great news. It's been forever since I bought from them. I agree the site is out of date.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 12-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Interlude Press
Quote:
If you have preordered any IP titles from @allromance, send us confirmation (screenshot or receipt) and we'll honor at the IP Web Store
Old 12-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #26
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I'm only out the 71¢ I have in eBooks Bucks. I had a few freebies I hadn't yet downloaded, but I learned the download immediately lesson from back when Fictionwise and Books on Board, etc went out of business.

I feel bad for the authors.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #27
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Good to see Dreamspinner and Interlude doing the right thing. Hopefully other publishers will follow their lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It really does. I stopped buying from them just because of how much of a pain the store interface is.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

There is finally a notice on their site. Good job everyone getting the word out. I have a feeling they were trying to get as much money as they could from unsuspecting customers before they disappeared.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 12-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #29
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There is finally a notice on their site. Good job everyone getting the word out. I have a feeling they were trying to get as much money as they could from unsuspecting customers before they disappeared.

Sent from my XT1528
The message on ARe's site has been there since early afternoon. But it's shameful they were selling ads on their site up to yesterday when they obviously knew this was coming.

RWA has a statement up on their site.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

It wasn't there when I checked a couple hours ago. There was nothing there or in social media.

Sent from my XT1528