Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #136
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I hope the development team are still working hard on improving the Discovery bar because it could be a good feature if it gave relevant results.

On another note, it would be nice if the Kobo reader allowed for margin resizing.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #137
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
If we can, no one's bothered to publicize it yet. (wish the techies'd hurry up - really feel unsafe not being able to edit the /etc/hosts file).
Agreed. I would like to also install HIC drivers for a keyboard using otg cables. I tested one and did not get the result I was hoping for. I'll try otg with external USB to SD card shortly.

Last edited by dioioib; 01-11-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: sausage fingers
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #138
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Flash

Since Adobe Flash is no longer available to new tablets like the Arc, can we download DivX Plus Player to view on demand videos and the like as an alternative to the Adobe program?
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #139
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Some recent posts from the devs would be appreciated as there are quite a number of interesting questions going unanswered.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #140
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
Since Adobe Flash is no longer available to new tablets like the Arc, can we download DivX Plus Player to view on demand videos and the like as an alternative to the Adobe program?
If there is a divx player available for android in the play store then you can install it on the arc. I've never checked.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #141
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
Or you could go grab it from the XDA Developers forum. Works fine for me, at least in Firefox.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #142
universum
universum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
It's blowing my mind that there's so little lit on the Arc out there, yet somehow there are multiple users from little ol' NS here, seeking help.
I am also interested in gaining access to the root shell, especially since Kobo advertises "open access" to the OS on their website.

For those interested, I do have Flash 11.1 on my Arc, seems to work well. I use Chrome most of the time but it might be he default browser that supports it. There are apks around, anyway.

If anyone has any ideas on how to root, I'm all ears, however I do nit have access to a PC at the moment.
universum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #143
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by universum View Post
For those interested, I do have Flash 11.1 on my Arc, seems to work well. I use Chrome most of the time but it might be he default browser that supports it. There are apks around, anyway.
Then you'll want to use Firefox - seems to work perfectly with the Flash version I got from the XDA Developers forum. And, unlike Chrome (which is listed as not compatable with the Arc on Play), Firefox is allowing us the latest versions.

Quote:
If anyone has any ideas on how to root, I'm all ears, however I do nit have access to a PC at the moment.
That would be nice. I'd love to be able to edit the /etc/hosts file. Being unable to do so keeps me from using it for most web surfing....
Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #144
universum
universum began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Then you'll want to use Firefox - seems to work perfectly with the Flash version I got from the XDA Developers forum. And, unlike Chrome (which is listed as not compatable with the Arc on Play), Firefox is allowing us the latest versions.
You're definitely right about Chrome, I just tried it and Flash doesn't work. It is the default Browser apk that supports it. I got the Flash apk from XDA as well.

I'm curious as to what the hosts file limits? Are there blocked domains? Or is it a particular protocol issue?
[ EDIT: Ignore that bit, I looked at the hosts file and I figure you just want to have some shortcuts or preferred servers... but there is that part where you said it 'keeps you from' using it? ]

Last edited by universum; 01-21-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: followup
universum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #145
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by universum View Post
You're definitely right about Chrome, I just tried it and Flash doesn't work. It is the default Browser apk that supports it. I got the Flash apk from XDA as well.

I'm curious as to what the hosts file limits? Are there blocked domains? Or is it a particular protocol issue?
Basically domain blocking (and you have to use the whole domain - you can't just do a "127.0.0.1 mobileread.com" in it to block the forum, as an example, you'd have to "127.0.0.1 www.mobileread.com"), though it can be used for re-routing traffic...

(which is why it's a damned good idea to go set it to read-only on Windows (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts), by the way - malware can fairly easily insert stuff if you don't and send your traffic from www.google.com over to their malware-infested Google lookalike)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #146
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Comparing the Arc against the Apple ipad Mini and watching Coronation Street on YouTube I found the Arc had a strange ghost-like background running through the video, and the sound was somewhat tinny, for lack of a better word. The Apple was very good on both points. In watching various episodes the Arc had less of this ghosting although slightly still there, and the video was very close to the Apple, in one case slightly better. The Apple was consistent so I am at a loss as to why the Arc was behaving in this way. What apps can one look at that would allow for better control over the audio as volume is fine, it is just too sharp or high ranged. As to the video I am at a loss. The only problems have been in using YouTube and both machines were side by side and on the same feed. In most other cases the Arc was sharper and brighter, both tablets had brightness at the mid scale. Overall the Arc proved the nicer tablet, but it still could be better.
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #147
rncomputes
rncomputes began at the beginning.

Hi Faisal,
I hope you can help me with my Kobo Arc. I cannot get my desktop computer to communicate with my Arc. It works when configured as a PTP device, but does not work as a MTP device. The Arc works fine on my laptop in both configurations. I am currently using Windows 7 32 bit on both laptop and desktop. When I tried a 64 bit version of Windows 7 on my desktop the kobo worked fine on both configurations. But I need it to work on the 32 bit win 7 as it is compatible with most of my hardware (printers, scanners etc.). I also reinstalled all my usb drivers but got the same results. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
rncomputes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #148
brianfrench
brianfrench began at the beginning.

Remove ads, promos, suggestions, recommended, articles

Kobo is awesome, except... I do not use it to find content.
I use it to read and access content.
I do that on my laptop. I do not want suggestions - I know what I'm looking for.
Thanks to this forum I was able to disable "discover" is there any way to delete or disable the above (recommended, articles, etc.). Thank you.
brianfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #149
PZ156
PZ156 began at the beginning.

Kobo Arc Help?

Hi !! I just got my Kobo Arc a few days ago and I have just started to realize how the keyboard at times doesn't respond when I touch on the search bar or url bar and I need to figure out if there is something I could do to fix the problem or do I just exchange it? Please do let me know if this is just a common problem or if it just the Kobo I am using !!!!!!!
PZ156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #150
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

First, check how much pressure you're using and for how long you're pressing on the screen when you're trying to use the URL/search bar - sometimes it's just a matter of pressing firmly. like you would for a long press, but for a short enough time for it to do a long press action (usually copy/share URL dialogue for that sort of thing). Short, quick taps generally don't do it when using the browsers.

If that's not actually the problem and if it's being unresponsive in a way that you can easily reproduce in a variety of apps (meaning it's a problem with the screen), definitely go to Settings -> Personal -> Backup & reset to do a "Factory data reset" and then take it back for an exchange.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 02-03-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc