Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you use a MAC, 600,000 of their users were infected with this trojan which could compromise credit card numbers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1405766.html

In addition, one must never give their credit card number to any customer service employees. Any one of them could use it improperly. Also, never give your credit card number to 3rd party vendors at Amazon. Those folks could also have their database compromised.

If Amazon did have their database compromised, it would make headlines and we'd all see it in the news.

The solution, in any event, is have the bank issue a new credit card to you and then change the number at Amazon.
Yes, I checked for the Trojan and don't have it. I know that Mac users need to stop thinking they are immune. The bank issued me a new card but I'm not using it at Amazon. How patient do you think the bank will be if it happens again and they already warned me?

If Amazon's databases were hacked, and they have DISCOVERED it it would be in the news. Like I said, it takes a while to sort these things out.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
luismonkey
Banned
luismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Yes
Which card did hubs hand over? The compromised one?
luismonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
What browser do you use on your Mac?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
beej,

Didn't mean to offend you. As you no doubt realize, questions like the ones raised above are legitimate in cases like yours. I suspect Amazon asked you the same questions.

It IS possible that the problem exists at Amazon. Although I don't recall any case of a large scale breach of security for Amazon's servers (and I'm sure it would have made national news if it has ever occurred), it is certainly possible that an individual Amazon employee may be the culprit.

I've had three similar experiences over the years though none of them involved Amazon and each was caught by my credit card company as a "suspicious" transaction. In each of those cases I'm not sure whether deliberate fraud or simply mistakenly entered credit card numbers were at fault. My most recent experience occurred only three months ago. Had to close the credit card number and have a new number issued to me. PITA but other than having to change a few numbers with merchants who draw automatically from my account periodically no long term problem.
They grudgingly admitted, and I believe it was an individual employee. While they carried on about their online transactions being safe, when the representative at the bank asked about individual employees--they were stymied and had to admit that was far more likely. When we explained about it being a card used only for Amazon shopping and had been stored there for a number of years, all got quiet on their end and they admitted it.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismonkey View Post
Which card did hubs hand over? The compromised one?
God no, that was closed on Monday when the credit card company called and asked if we had really spent $538 at Walmart and were trying to spend another $600 and another Walmart. When I nearly passed out, they closed the card.
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
What browser do you use on your Mac?
Safari
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
How patient do you think the bank will be if it happens again and they already warned me?
A bank that issues Credit Cards warned you not to keep a credit card on file with Amazon?
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #23
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Or it may be someone employed by the bank or financial institution that issued the card.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #24
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
A bank that issues Credit Cards warned you not to keep a credit card on file with Amazon?
They "advised" me. And told me lots of horror stories.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
I agree that the most likely scenario is someone getting your info while you were transmitting it over a network. But if you only use it for Amazon purchases, isn't it on file with Amazon where you don't have to enter it each time you make a purchase?
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
No, you think it happened there. Running around bad-mouthing Amazon may make you feel better, but you have zero proof that they compromised your card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Seems more likely you have some sort of malware on your computer than Amazon's security has been breached.
These. Not likely Amazon caused.

Amazon must follow pci standards. employees would not have access to cc numbers.

Last edited by kennyc; 05-03-2012 at 08:23 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
These. Not likely Amazon caused.

Amazon must follow pci standards. employees would not have access to cc numbers.
I respect all of your opinions but I'm gonna go with what the bank told me and Amazon finally admitted to them. SInce this card was used nowhere else, it's kind of hard to believe it happened somewhere else. From here on out, the bank handles the process and I'm out of it. I just have to decide how to make additional purchases at Amazon.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
beej,

Didn't mean to offend you. As you no doubt realize, questions like the ones raised above are legitimate in cases like yours. I suspect Amazon asked you the same questions.

It IS possible that the problem exists at Amazon. Although I don't recall any case of a large scale breach of security for Amazon's servers (and I'm sure it would have made national news if it has ever occurred), it is certainly possible that an individual Amazon employee may be the culprit.

I've had three similar experiences over the years though none of them involved Amazon and each was caught by my credit card company as a "suspicious" transaction. In each of those cases I'm not sure whether deliberate fraud or simply mistakenly entered credit card numbers were at fault. My most recent experience occurred only three months ago. Had to close the credit card number and have a new number issued to me. PITA but other than having to change a few numbers with merchants who draw automatically from my account periodically no long term problem.
I'm not offended just astounded that everyone is so complacent about Amazon. Mind boggling, really.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #28
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
[QUOTE=beej231;2067962How patient do you think the bank will be if it happens again and they already warned me?[/QUOTE]

This happens to me, on average, about once every 1.5 yrs (and it always seems to be WalMart where the card is used!)... never once has the bank warned me to do/not do anything, and with $0 liability I continue to use a CC without fear... something about your story isn't smelling right.

I've noticed a significant number of threads started by people who come in claiming to be completely innocent parties (lost CC, locked out of accounts, etc) and then warn us not to deal with Amazon. It almost starts to feel like a concerted effort, a conspira-- oh, wait... I'm starting to sound like those posters.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I respect all of your opinions but I'm gonna go with what the bank told me and Amazon finally admitted to them. SInce this card was used nowhere else, it's kind of hard to believe it happened somewhere else. From here on out, the bank handles the process and I'm out of it. I just have to decide how to make additional purchases at Amazon.
I don't believe it for a second.

I've been involved in the credit industry for most of my career starting back in the 80's

I'll leave it at that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #30
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Safari
Safari has an autofill feature, do you ever use that? The only reason I ask is that I'm always very suspicious of it since it can remember information from other forms and use them later.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote