Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #151
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp303 View Post
Not OP, but I got the same error today.

log attached.

Thanks!
Thanks. That provided enough information for me to fix the problem. I will have have a new release of the plugin in the next day or so.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #152
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.12.1 - 30 Dec 2018

Support additional KFX feature. (Fixes "Unexpected Ion symbols used: $282")
Old 12-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #153
toonetown
toonetown began at the beginning.

Device: None
Does this plugin no longer work with version 1.25.1?
toonetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #154
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonetown View Post
Does this plugin no longer work with version 1.25.1?
The problem with using Kindle for PC 1.25.1 is the lack of a way to remove the new DRM that is used by that software. This plugin only works on books without DRM.

Last edited by jhowell; 12-31-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #155
JudahsShadow
JudahsShadow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8"
So, I'm ultimately wanting to send a KFX file I've created to a fire tablet so I can use the new page flip stuff on it (it's a specification manual used in highway construction inspections) on a fire tablet in the field. If I import via this plugin will those features be available if I transfer the work through calibre? (I'm creating the files so DRM should not be an issue).
JudahsShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #156
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahsShadow View Post
So, I'm ultimately wanting to send a KFX file I've created to a fire tablet so I can use the new page flip stuff on it (it's a specification manual used in highway construction inspections) on a fire tablet in the field. If I import via this plugin will those features be available if I transfer the work through calibre? (I'm creating the files so DRM should not be an issue).
The KFX Input plugin is not needed for this.

Use the KFX Output plugin to generate your KFX file. Once you have the KFX file created, you need to copy it to the "Books" folder of Internal Storage on your Fire tablet to have it show in the Kindle app.

You can create the KFX file within calibre using "Convert books" and then use the "Save to Disk" function to send it to your device.

Or you can use the command line interface of the KFX Output plugin to produce the KFX file outside of calibre and then copy it using the functions of your OS. General information on copying files to a Fire can be found here.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #157
JudahsShadow
JudahsShadow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8"
I thought perhaps after I saw the output thread, but should I make my KFX from outside calibre and then import, should I presume it would behave the same on transfer as if I converted it in calibre?
JudahsShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #158
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahsShadow View Post
I thought perhaps after I saw the output thread, but should I make my KFX from outside calibre and then import, should I presume it would behave the same on transfer as if I converted it in calibre?
Doing conversion with the KFX Output plugin outside of calibre produces a different result in some cases because it bypasses all of the manipulations that can sometimes be done by the calibre conversion pipeline, such as changing the cover, table of contents, and formatting.

If you make your KFX file outside of calibre and want to import it then having the KFX Input plugin installed will allow calibre to extract the metadata from the imported book so that the book shows up nicely in your book list.

However, as I wrote previously there is no need to import it into calibre just to copy it to your Fire tablet. You can copy the KFX file to the proper folder on the Fire yourself.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #159
scubawendi
scubawendi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
J...HOWELL.... I need your help!

My husband bought me a book on his MAC and I am trying to download it on my Windows 64bit. Don't ask. So, I have Calibre from forever ago (back when I was in grad school) and I updated it to 3.37. Now I am greeted with the Kindle failed to convert message. We didn't have that when I was in grad school. I use Kindle for PC (1.23.1). I cannot for the life of me figure out how to bypass this error. I have inserted every command prompt I can find you have written and suggested. I know you know a fix. Help a sister out? Thank you in advance for any assistance.
scubawendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #160
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubawendi View Post
Now I am greeted with the Kindle failed to convert message.
I need to know the exact error message in order to provide useful advice.

If it mentions DRM then there is a problem with DRM removal and you will need to ask for help at Apprentice Alf's blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #161
Musitcat
Musitcat began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S7
The new version of the plugin fixed the problem. Thanks so much for being so responsive and all your good work!
Musitcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #162
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I just bought a Kindle book. When I opened it on my Kindle for Mac, Kindle upgraded to the 64 bit version (which will be required with the next version of OSX). When I loaded it on Calibre, I saw that it is a KFX-Zip file. Calibre sees its cover but won't read it because it is DRM protected. I updated all of my plug-ins. I have been buying from Amazon because it was easier than other sources to remove DRM. Does this mean I won't be able to buy from Amazon anymore? Where do I look for help?
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #163
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
When I opened it on my Kindle for Mac, Kindle upgraded to the 64 bit version (which will be required with the next version of OSX). ... Where do I look for help?
There is currently no DRM removal solution for Kindle for PC/Mac version 1.25 or higher.

See the thread Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre for the current workable options for importing Kindle books into calibre.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #164
BaconWaifu
BaconWaifu began at the beginning.

Device: Gen 1 Kindle Fire
I'm getting a FormatError from yj_to_epub_content when trying to convert a (admittedly, absolutely huge) KFX file with calibre. The book is in the "Print Replica" format.

Relevant backtrace.:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.__init__", line 102, in convert
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.__init__", line 204, in convert_from_kfx
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.kfxlib.yj_book", line 97, in convert_to_epub
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.kfxlib.yj_to_epub", line 171, in __init__
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.kfxlib.yj_to_epub_content", line 71, in process_reading_order
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.kfxlib.yj_to_epub_content", line 110, in process_section
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.kfxlib.yj_to_epub_content", line 244, in add_content
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.kfxlib.yj_to_epub_content", line 228, in process_story
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.kfxlib.yj_to_epub_content", line 252, in process_content_list
  File "calibre_plugins.kfx_input.kfxlib.yj_to_epub_content", line 390, in process_content
TypeError: %d format: a number is required, not IonStruct
VersionString:
Code:
Software versions: KFX Input 1.12.1, calibre 3.35, Linux-4.19.0-1-amd64-x86_64-with-debian-buster-sid
Other relevant log bits:
Code:
ERROR: Unexpected book reading order names: TargetReadingOrder
WARNING: Unknown kfxgen: 3.41.1.0/PackageVersion:YJReaderSDK-1.0.1962.11 Month-Day:10-17
Features: kfxgen.positionMaps-2, max_id-609, yj_custom_word_iterator-1, yj_fixed_layout-1, yj_graphical_highlights-1, yj_pdf_support-1, yj_textbook-1
WARNING: Unknown kindle_audit_metadata: creator_version=0.1.24.0
Metadata: ASIN=B00DYHUZ2O, asset_id=CR!P08D1BZ9H14PK3CZYDZG4A734DQC, author="Hoffer, Jeffrey A.", author="Topi, Heikki", author="Venkataraman, Ramesh", book_orientation_lock=none, cde_content_type=EBOK, content_id=B00DYHUZ2O, cover_image=506x648, file_creator=FLYP, graphical_highlights=1, is_sample=False, issue_date=2013-07-15, multipage_selection=disabled, pages=405, publisher="Pearson HE, Inc.", reading_orders=1, selection=enabled, title="Essentials of Database Management", user_visible_labeling=page_exclusive, yj_fixed_layout=1, yj_textbook=1
ERROR: Unexpected Ion symbols used: $136, $137
Converting book to EPUB 2.0
Format is fixed layout textbook EBOK
WARNING: This book contains PDF resources. They will be rendered as JPEG images during conversion.
WARNING: The original resources can be extracted using the KFX Input command line interface.
ERROR: resource Target_pg_1_g_2 has extra data: {$137: Decimal('0.1'), $136: Decimal('1')}
EDIT:
It appears the problem is with either `$66` or `$67` being an IonStruct instead of an IonInt. currently digging around to see if I can gather some relevant bits of the book, such as the contents of the struct in question.

Last edited by BaconWaifu; 01-30-2019 at 10:08 PM.
BaconWaifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #165
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconWaifu View Post
I'm getting a FormatError from yj_to_epub_content when trying to convert a (admittedly, absolutely huge) KFX file with calibre. The book is in the "Print Replica" format.
Thanks for the error report. There is definitely KFX content in that book that I have never seen before. That particular book is too expensive for me to purchase in order to try to work it out. I will have to wait until I run across that problem in some other book or someone reports it in an inexpensive book or one with a free sample available.

But there is no need for you to wait for that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconWaifu View Post
WARNING: This book contains PDF resources. They will be rendered as JPEG images during conversion.
WARNING: The original resources can be extracted using the KFX Input command line interface.
Since that book is print replica, using the calibre GUI to do the conversion will only result in a book composed of a series of page images.

The KFX file actually contains one or more PDF files within it. I recommend using the command line interface of this plugin in order to extract those. That should bypass the conversion code that is failing for this book and also give you something more usable as a result.

If you save the KFX file from your calibre library to "yourfile.kfx" the command to extract the internal resources would be:

calibre-debug -r "KFX Input" -- -u yourfile.kfx yourfile.zip

You would then open "yourfile.zip" and extract the PDF files.

As another alternative, if you can find a way to obtain this book as a AZW4 file instead of KFX you would get even better results by extracting the PDF from that using the kindleunpack plugin.

-------

Update: I was able to locate a free sample book that has the same problem. The conversion errors will be fixed in the next plugin release.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-31-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Update