Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
therourke
therourke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Jailbreak app for adding files direct to Kindle via IP?

I was wondering if there is an app to share files directly to a Kindle over wi-fi?

It would potentially mean I could send a file stored on my android phone directly into the Kindle document memory. The app would setup your Kindle with an IP address and then from a browser interface on my phone I could add files directly to the file system. Of course, this would be for adding .mobi files directly, without using usb or Amazon's email service.

I apologise if such a jailbreak app already exists. I haven't been able to find anything.
therourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
A bunch of apps Vlasovsoft Coolreader includes Wi-Fi Server - allows connection to your Kindle with sftp-client.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=229288
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
USBNet includes an SSH server (and potentially an FTP server if you're a bit masochistic).

And sshfs.

Sky's the limit, basically.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
therourke

Both those things require extra things. I need a WiFi network for the first to work, and a cable for the second.

I was hoping I could turn my kindle into a WiFi server and connect with my phone. Or something like that.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by therourke View Post
Both those things require extra things. I need a WiFi network for the first to work, and a cable for the second.

I was hoping I could turn my kindle into a WiFi server and connect with my phone. Or something like that.
Phones already have built-in hotspot support.

Also, why not the opposite? I'm sure there are apps available on Android or iOS that can turn the phone into a HTTP server. Then just use the Kindle experimental browser to access and download ebooks.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
therourke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Phones already have built-in hotspot support.

Also, why not the opposite? I'm sure there are apps available on Android or iOS that can turn the phone into a HTTP server. Then just use the Kindle experimental browser to access and download ebooks.
You can't make your phone a hotspot and then connect to the Kindle IP via your own hotspot. But your second method might work. I didn't know kindle browser could download files and add them to memory

Edit: not having any luck finding an android app that allows file sharing via kindle browser WITHOUT a WiFi connection. Any ideas?

Last edited by therourke; 06-29-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
You can't make your phone a hotspot and then connect to the Kindle IP via your own hotspot. But your second method might work. I didn't know kindle browser could download files and add them to memory
Sure you can. The phone/hotspot has its own LAN IP address. The Kindle gets assigned its own IP address (usually on the same subnet). It's just a matter of knowing what those IP addresses are. It's really no different to connecting to your router's management page (phone is pretty much your router in this case).

I do it all the time on iPhones and iPads (for ComicGlass and Plex). I think hotspot device is typically 172.x.x.1 on iOS. I didn't pay attention to the exact address/subnet since both Plex and ComicGlass have Bonjour/network discovery. From iPhone to iPad, I get transfer speed of around 60Mbps (7.5MB/s).

Quote:
Edit: not having any luck finding an android app that allows file sharing via kindle browser WITHOUT a WiFi connection. Any ideas?
Have you tried ES File Explorer? I'd ignore warnings about not having Wi-Fi and just enable it anyway. By using hotspot, you're creating your own Wi-Fi LAN.

P.S. I just checked Documents by Readdle on my iPhone. It uses something called "WebDAV" to share files. You might try searching for a WebDAV server on Android.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-29-2018 at 03:05 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:08 AM   #8
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
P.S. I just checked Documents by Readdle on my iPhone. It uses something called "WebDAV" to share files. You might try searching for a WebDAV server on Android.
Now that you tell it ... you're right!

I've tried to use Windows file sharing first, w/o success. Of course, this wouldn't work if WebDAV is used.

@therourke: On Android, you may use the great Total Commander app as file explorer and install its WebDAV plugin for this reason.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, filesystem, sharing, wifi