Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
Tarana - When you say you 'received' that message, how did you get it? Text, email?
I received it by email.. by the way here is the LINK for the update.

Quote:
After June 29th, 2018, if your NOOK Device is not updated to meet these new TLS security standards, you will not be able to make any purchases, or download and manage your NOOK Content from your NOOK Device.

The following NOOK Software Versions already meet this new standard:

NOOK HD/HD+: 2.2.1
NOOK Simple Touch & NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight: 1.2.2
NOOK GlowLight: 1.3.2
NOOK Color and NOOK Tablet: 1.4.4
bernie

Last edited by gbm; 06-21-2018 at 05:32 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #17
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
gmb - Thanks for replying. Have not gotten an email yet from B&N. Wonder why.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #18
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Tarana - When you say you 'received' that message, how did you get it? Text, email?
Received via email. I didn't include the link in the post because I get dinged for including direct links on this forum.

Don't know why you didn't get it, but then I don't know what order they are using to send out global emails like this.

Last edited by Tarana; 06-21-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #19
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Tarana - Thanks. I usually get things after other people do, both email and regular mail.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #20
billsfan2
Enthusiast
billsfan2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Tablet, Nook HD+, Kindle PW 2015, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Interesting, the Glowlight Plus is not listed. I also wonder when it says Nook Tablet, which Nook Tablet does it mean.
It is the one that came after the Nook Color.
billsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #21
billsfan2
Enthusiast
billsfan2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Tablet, Nook HD+, Kindle PW 2015, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Received via email. I didn't include the link in the post because I get dinged for including direct links on this forum.

Don't know why you didn't get it, but then I don't know what order they are using to send out global emails like this.
The information is also listed on the BN support web page. I updated my Simple Touch OTA and now have the version that is up to date. I also checked my HD+ and it is up to date. That seems to be all that's required. My Simple Touch sideloaded content is intact.
billsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #22
tas03
Zealot

The BN support page is not clear as to which Nook tablets they mean. In any event, my seven-inch tablet will not be able to download the update because the updates to the apps that you can't remove have taken up so much space that the operating system itself cannot be updated. This is apparently a very common thing on both the 7 inch tablets B&N sells.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:10 AM   #23
AnitainTN
Member, Nooks Anonymous
AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.

Device: SGTS2-8, Nook Color
Nook Color here...

gbm - thanks for the link. I went there and followed the directions a little lower down on the page from what has been posted. I haven't received an email, either, but it appears some NC software (updated?) meets their protocol. My NC has 1.4.4.

I just pulled in a couple books (from Nook for PC, but I could also get them from the Nook Color) and two magazines (Nat Geo - from NC only, to maintain the graphics and pictures, including the Canon photography ads ;-). "Pulled in" being into Calibre (main library on PC) and there to Calibre Companion (main reader) on Samsung tablet running Nook app as a reader. So, if it already meets the protocol....maybe there will be BN on 6/30? One can hope.

Here is the rest of the page, there's reference to Nook Tablet, too.
Quote:
NOOK Device Software Updates for TLS 1.2 Compliance

All websites that handle customer information and process payment data are upgrading to new security standards, known as Transport Layer Security (TLS). TLS Versions below 1.2 are being phased out, and devices accessing the Internet that are not updated to utilize the required TLS Version will not be able to perform many functions related to Internet connectivity.

After June 29th, 2018, if your NOOK Device is not updated to meet these new TLS security standards, you will not be able to make any purchases, or download and manage your NOOK Content from your NOOK Device.

The following NOOK Software Versions already meet this new standard:

NOOK HD/HD+: 2.2.1
NOOK Simple Touch & NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight: 1.2.2
NOOK GlowLight: 1.3.2
NOOK Color and NOOK Tablet: 1.4.4

If you find you are having trouble connecting to the NOOK Shop, downloading and managing your content, and if your Software Version number is lower than what is displayed above, you will need to update your software using the instructions provided below.

Determining the Version Number of Your Current NOOK Software
Go to NOOK Settings.
Tap on Device Info.
Tap on About Your NOOK.
Locate the version number of the NOOK software installed on your NOOK
AnitainTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #24
jimdon44
jimdon44 began at the beginning.

Device: coby 7015
I just updated my rooted and modified ( with Nook Manager) Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight to the new
1.2.2. Things have changed. I don't know if it still is rooted but my screen options have now changed. ADW launcher is not always available after restart. Relaunch launcher cannot power off or reboot. My previous choices on pressing "N" are gone. These were available through Nook Touch Mod Manager. Nook Touch Mod Manager no longer gives me that option because "you must install the modified jars before using the program". I guess I could try and use Nook Manager again but I wondered if anyone else has experienced
this after the update.
jimdon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:57 AM   #25
tas03
Zealot

By the way, I still did not get the email, and my 3 Simple Touches, my Glowlight Plus, and my Nook 7in Tablet all show up on the Manage Devices page on the B&N site. All 5 devices are registered to the same email. Additionally, I am a B&N member. I guess this is just an example of how crummy the B&N customer experience is. If I had not stumbled onto this site, I would have no idea my devices might need updating.