Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #856
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
With any DRM system, the end user (or the end user's equipment) must be given the decryption key.
That's the point. Compromise the mechanism that manages the keys and you render irrelevant the strength of the rest of the system.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #857
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I figure this is a good time to restate clearly, for the benefit of newbies, and people who don't know any better, like small children or journalists:

All the talk on these forums about DRM and encryption is concerned with making use of stuff we ALREADY have legitimate access to. The tools mentioned don't work unless we ALREADY have the proper keys to read the files.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #858
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I figure this is a good time to restate clearly, for the benefit of newbies, and people who don't know any better, like small children or journalists:

All the talk on these forums about DRM and encryption is concerned with making use of stuff we ALREADY have legitimate access to. The tools mentioned don't work unless we ALREADY have the proper keys to read the files.
Or in other words:

You can only remove DRM from books you bought yourself. If you ripped an encrypted book off of the internet, the DeDRM-tools won't help you.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #859
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What page was it that the topic last fit the contents of the thread?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #860
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does it matter?

If a new version of the DeDRM tools comes out, the thread will be on-topic again
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #861
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I don't know how it is where you are, or where JSWolf is, but in the Netherlands it's indeed almost impossible these days to have internet, and not have Wifi. Every internet modem provided since the last 10 years or so that I have seen, has Wifi and a router built in.
IDK about the Netherlands, but there are certainly a lot of people elsewhere whose internet access consists only of 3G/4G on a phone, which may not have hotspot capability.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #862
Leilani
Leilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with others

Device: K3, Voyage, KOA2
Which ADE version do I need?

I don't know where to ask this question because I didn't get many search results on Adobe Digital Editions but since this is related to Calibre et al - I just got a new pc - Win10 Pro, (don't laugh, replaced a Vista machine (which worked just fine mostly, except when it crashed on a regular basis, anywho)) and I've redownloaded the latest Calibre/Alf and have a question about which version of ADE I should download. I had 2.0.1 and I remember way back when that was was the one to have because there were issues with later versions and when I checked Adobe, it's up to version 4 something. I did find the 2.0.1 page to download from and I wanted to check if that's still the one I should use instead of upgrading to 4? I'm sorry if this the completely wrong place to ask this but it is sort of related. I only have a few epub books but with AllRomance biting the dust, I may have to shop at Kobo occasionally again.

Thank You!!!!

Last edited by Leilani; 01-09-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Leilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:55 AM   #863
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The newer versions of the ADE haven't been deDRM'd. So, if your goal is to remove the DRM from your ePubs so you can read them on whatever device you want, you're safest using 2.0.1.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:29 AM   #864
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Remember to keep an operating system and maye even a computer handy on which that software will actually run in 2061
Including my own?

Quote:
Hm, OK.

In the Netherlands, you *can't* buy your own modem when you're on cable. (You can with some forms of DSL.)

We have only got one cable provider left, AFAIK (Ziggo), and the problem they often face is people complaining about the Wifi range. People (still) expect a single router to reach the entire house. That was probably possible in 2001, but not in 2016.

Wifi is so hard to get stable around here, especially when you're in an apartment, that I only use cables for everything, except for my phone, tablet, and laptop.
Actually, a single router works for us. We only got the second one to insure a good range in the garden (but we pulled cables to every single room in the house when we were rebuilding so all "fixed" devices have a "fixed" connection).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
In the US there are entire swaths of the country that rely on dialup; rural and very small towns. (Low population density.)
This reminds me of a remark I heard (again) just this morning on a Dutch radio show: the USA is still a developing country!

I wasn't sure, but apparently there are still 5 providers in the Netherlands that actually offer dialup... (one is a major one, the other 4 I've never heard of before).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:58 AM   #865
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Hm, OK.

In the Netherlands, you *can't* buy your own modem when you're on cable. (You can with some forms of DSL.))
Not yet, but that's going to change soon-ish: https://zoek.officielebekendmakingen...-2016-524.html.

Ziggo will probably have to be dragged into this kicking and screaming, but they will have to comply with this.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #866
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
We have a Lounge forum that is great for talking about non ereader tech issues such as WiFi, ISPs and Modems.

Let's keep this thread on topic.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #867
Leilani
Leilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with others

Device: K3, Voyage, KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The newer versions of the ADE haven't been deDRM'd. So, if your goal is to remove the DRM from your ePubs so you can read them on whatever device you want, you're safest using 2.0.1.
Thank you, exactly what I needed to know.
Leilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #868
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

It's a bit hard to find if you don't know exactly where to look. It's under the ADE 3.0 download link.

You can find it on this page.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #869
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's a bit hard to find if you don't know exactly where to look. It's under the ADE 3.0 download link.

You can find it on this page.
Just remember, DO NOT DOWNLOAD ADE 3.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:46 AM   #870
apprenticeharper
Apprentices Against DRM
apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Laptop
I've just released a new version of the tools, v6.5.3

This does NOT add KFX support.

It does add an explicit warning if a KFX file is detected.
It also improves the obok plugin's detection of unusually encoded xml files.

(Obok fixes close issues #151, #156 and #162 at my github repository.)

Last edited by apprenticeharper; 01-13-2017 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added issue numbers.
apprenticeharper is offline   Reply With Quote