Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Changing Column Names

I have a lot of libraries with different variations of the same column. It's taking forever to standaradize all the columns.

Can I just go into the .db file and change the column names?

If I do, will this be a problem with the metadata_db_backup.json?

Is there an easier way to do this than going into each library and manually changing the columns. Making sure each column matches up gets tedious.

I have the list of all the columns in all the libraries, it's just a pain to match up all the libraries that need editing, going into them, changing the columns, and hoping I didn't miss one or get it wrong.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I have a lot of libraries with different variations of the same column. It's taking forever to standaradize all the columns.

Is there an easier way to do this than going into each library and manually changing the columns. Making sure each column matches up gets tedious.

I have the list of all the columns in all the libraries, it's just a pain to match up all the libraries that need editing, going into them, changing the columns, and hoping I didn't miss one or get it wrong.
You can change the visible name without a major restructure. Just don't change the #name or type
AFAIK the gui.json will be updated if you have used the columns tool.

It might be faster/easier to create a new library and tick the 'copy structure', then use the Copy To Library, delete after tool (a move) Anything left over WAS a problem, then the old, now empty Library can be deleted
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I wouldn't even contemplate changing my library databases directly. So, I'm not going to speculate what the consequences would be of you changing your library databases directly.

AFAIK the only place you can change Custom column attributes is Preferences->Add Your Own Columns->Edit Settings of user defined columns -- you can't change the Column Type attribute. The calibredb command has add_custom_column and remove_custom_column sub-commands.

Or do something along the lines as that suggested by theducks.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can change the visible name without a major restructure. Just don't change the #name or type
AFAIK the gui.json will be updated if you have used the columns tool.

It might be faster/easier to create a new library and tick the 'copy structure', then use the Copy To Library, delete after tool (a move) Anything left over WAS a problem, then the old, now empty Library can be deleted

I have used the Job Spy custom column for all libraries matrix and (I'm so embarrassed) I have 46 active libraries. I use about half of them regularly. I finally broke up my "Main" library because it was getting out of control with all the metadata I throw in it. So I have libraries for each source, which re really stripped down to dates added, Original file Names, and sources. I kick books to those after importing them into Calibre.

Then libraries for Active reading - Series to read, Re-reads, Archived, Merged, Anthologies, etc.

And finally I have about 20 old libraries used for data mining or finding lost books. It's the old ones that have the wonky columns. Libraries with names like "October 2016 Main Library" or "Toshiba ML 2" where there is a grab bag. I have gone into them all and kind of weeded through them. But I am still left with some 2000 columns overall.

Also some libraries have columns others don't. I have 6 date read columns for my Re-reads and 3 extra series columns for my Series to Read. So copying and moving isn't a great idea. Plus I did that when I split my library up initially, and I ended up changing the columns.

Don't get me started on GoodReads syncing. Most of my major libraries have around 45 columns (including composite), the least I have is maybe 20. Pages, ratings, shelves, tags, genre - then my columns for just holding badges so I can skim down the list and see what's going on across without having to move the cursor. There are two columns for that alone.

then there are those set choice columns that have been altered across the years. So the columns may have the same heading and name, but the choices can be different. Read status and book styles are some that come to mind. I don't want to keep typing in, so I just use the drop down list. I have expanded them over time.

That was a long way of saying - I have almost 2000 active columns and I can see where they are being mixed up when I look at the exported .csv from Job Spy. I just want to go into the .db and quickly retype those names.

Don't even get me started on the hundreds of inactive libraries I just moved to an external drive to use with Calibre Portable. I haven't even linked them yet.

Last edited by Rellwood; 09-28-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I have used the Job Spy custom column for all libraries matrix and (I'm so embarrassed) I have 46 active libraries. I use about half of them regularly. I finally broke up my "Main" library because it was getting out of control with all the metadata I throw in it. So I have libraries for each source, which re really stripped down to dates added, Original file Names, and sources. I kick books to those after importing them into Calibre.

Then libraries for Active reading - Series to read, Re-reads, Archived, Merged, Anthologies, etc.

And finally I have about 20 old libraries used for data mining or finding lost books. It's the old ones that have the wonky columns. Libraries with names like "October 2016 Main Library" or "Toshiba ML 2" where there is a grab bag. I have gone into them all and kind of weeded through them. But I am still left with some 2000 columns overall.

Also some libraries have columns others don't. I have 6 date read columns for my Re-reads and 3 extra series columns for my Series to Read. So copying and moving isn't a great idea. Plus I did that when I split my library up initially, and I ended up changing the columns.

Don't get me started on GoodReads syncing. Most of my major libraries have around 45 columns (including composite), the least I have is maybe 20. Pages, ratings, shelves, tags, genre - then my columns for just holding badges so I can skim down the list and see what's going on across without having to move the cursor. There are two columns for that alone.

then there are those set choice columns that have been altered across the years. So the columns may have the same heading and name, but the choices can be different. Read status and book styles are some that come to mind. I don't want to keep typing in, so I just use the drop down list. I have expanded them over time.

That was a long way of saying - I have almost 2000 active columns and I can see where they are being mixed up when I look at the exported .csv from Job Spy. I just want to go into the .db and quickly retype those names.

Don't even get me started on the hundreds of inactive libraries I just moved to an external drive to use with Calibre Portable. I haven't even linked them yet.
Hmmm... my condolences (I think).

Why you should feel the need to put your books in so many separate libraries, is a mystery for me. It's much easier to use virtual libraries or saved searches based on tags or custom columns. I do have separate libraries for sending books to my Nook and Kobo devices, but only because I send somewhat different versions of epub to each. My main library has always been the one and only (besides backups, of course).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hmmm... my condolences (I think).

Why you should feel the need to put your books in so many separate libraries, is a mystery for me. It's much easier to use virtual libraries or saved searches based on tags or custom columns. I do have separate libraries for sending books to my Nook and Kobo devices, but only because I send somewhat different versions of epub to each. My main library has always been the one and only (besides backups, of course).
Library Structure (column types) because of the material. Parental Content Control (PCC), Intake to clean metadata before adding to main library.

Tagging and a few other filters should allow V/L use in more places.

Filing Audiobooks or other HUGE file sized media that won't fit on the existing (libraries) drive
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote