Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
plutino
plutino began at the beginning.

Device: boox
problem with Havon N516

I have used OIP 2.2 for a while. Recently I tried to upgrade to a few daily build. After one upgrade (I don't know which one), the internal storage of the device can only be mounted read-only. I reflashed a few different versions, including the 2.2, but the problem is still there. I also tried to ssh to the device and manually mount the partition, but still it goes to read-only. I suspect that the memory chip is somehow broken. Is there any way to tell whether this is a hardware or software problem?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
You could try to format the storage manually:
Code:
mkfs.vfat -F32 -n @VOLUME@ -m /dev/null /dev/mtdblock_storage
mount /mnt/storage
And I would suggest to install the latest flashimage over USB.
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
plutino

Thanks lunohod. Formatting the internal storage doesn't work. I don't have access to a windows computer now, so I tried to flash the reinstall firmware for 0.2.2 (cannot find one for the daily build), and it worked! Now I can have my FBreader preference saved again.

I got another question, which is why I frequently reflash the daily build recently. When reading utf-8 coded txt files in FBreader, the non-ASCII characters are not rendered right (most noticeably the quotation marks). I tried nearly all the combinations for language/coding/font, but nothing works. They are rendered correctly in coolreader, though. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
You could try to format the storage manually:
Code:
mkfs.vfat -F32 -n @VOLUME@ -m /dev/null /dev/mtdblock_storage
mount /mnt/storage
And I would suggest to install the latest flashimage over USB.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutino View Post
I got another question, which is why I frequently reflash the daily build recently. When reading utf-8 coded txt files in FBreader, the non-ASCII characters are not rendered right (most noticeably the quotation marks). I tried nearly all the combinations for language/coding/font, but nothing works. They are rendered correctly in coolreader, though. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Show me some screenshots with good and bad rendering.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
plutino

I attached screenshots of the same text in FBreader and CoolReader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
Show me some screenshots with good and bad rendering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb.png
Views:	997
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	78288   Click image for larger version

Name:	cr.png
Views:	988
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	78289  
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That's clearly a problem with the encoding (the fact that a single character shows as a series of wrong ones means that a multi-byte encoding is being rendered as a 8-bit encoding). Either something's wrong with the file or FBreader is not doing the right thing.

Maybe FBreader defaults to an 8-bit encoding, and has no problem with HTML files where the encoding is explicit in the header, but with text files with no indication, it doesn't guess or guesses wrong. CoolReader probably has a different default or guesses right.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:52 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutino View Post
I attached screenshots of the same text in FBreader and CoolReader.
Nice downloaded illegal eBook.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
plutino

The file was processed in Emacs and I've specified the coding to be utf-8. In desktop version of FBreader, it's rendered fine. How to force an encoding in OIP version of FBreader? I only see options to set default encoding (which is already utf-8).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That's clearly a problem with the encoding (the fact that a single character shows as a series of wrong ones means that a multi-byte encoding is being rendered as a 8-bit encoding). Either something's wrong with the file or FBreader is not doing the right thing.

Maybe FBreader defaults to an 8-bit encoding, and has no problem with HTML files where the encoding is explicit in the header, but with text files with no indication, it doesn't guess or guesses wrong. CoolReader probably has a different default or guesses right.