Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As a general rule don't copy files directly from the library. File names within a calibre library are computed via an algorithm -- the title and author name are latin-ised, and ascii-ised, (e.g 'Война и миръ by Лев Николаевич Толстой' becomes 'Liev Nikolaievich Tolstoi - Voina i mir') and the resultant file names can be shortened as you've see with 'The Hidden Harbor Mystery (Book'. And to cap it all off the algorithm is subject to change.

Exactly where are the notes you need to preserve, and where/how do you create/maintain them - within the library or on your device, as separate files or embedded in the ebook files - or ... or all of the above.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-17-2019 at 10:41 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Those send Templates {} AFFECT FILE NAMES
In addition, review your options (Device must be connected. Right click the device view icon). some have use 'XYZ_sort instead of' tick box

If your device uses BOOK (internal) Metadata. You NEED the Metadata Plugboard to manipulate device recognized (You have to figure what those are besides Title and Author)
Code:
eg {series_index}-{title} -> {title}
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #18
tomx2
Connoisseur
tomx2 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
Well, my device is not connected, as mentioned the initial issue that drives this problem is that calibre doesn't work well with devices, or at least my device (takes forever to read). I had the settings correct it was only searching the correct folder, still would not work (extremely slow) spent a great deal of time troubleshooting this.

Anyway, all i want is for calibre to facilitate editing of metadata. That's it. I'll place the book file where i want or need it. Seems like it should be easy.

Here's the desired workflow:
- Drop book file into calibre interface.
- Edit & embed metadata.
- Copy book to device & read.

That's it. That is all i am after. Notes (and reading) will be handled by the reader (moon) and are saved in a separate file on the device. And as i will be copying manually the file name will remain constant and as a result my notes will be preserved. Simple.

I'm going to delete my files (on devices) and try copying them manually one at a time. Probably take a few weeks. I'll report back on my success or failure on achieving the above desire workflow. Only real concern is that calibre (update?) changes the way it saves files, if that doesn't happen, should be no problem. If anyone has an alternative option/software that is possibly simpler (as my goal is modest, see workflow above) i am open to anything at this point, I'm spending much more time troubleshooting than reading these days!

Thanks again for all your help i really do appreciate it, great community! Tom

Last edited by tomx2; 09-18-2019 at 06:48 PM.
tomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: lLenovo Yoya tab plus , fire HD10 HDX8.9,
to get a copy of what calibre has is simple. locate the book. Open path in the details pane. there you see the file, in its folder
copy that using windows or whatever to a temp location, then connect your device and copy again from temp location onto the devide using file explorer or similar ( you can merge those 2 steps once you know what you are doing and skip the temp location bit. Just be sure to COPY not MOVE, so that calibre's own records aer undisturbed
alternatively you use a cloud storage as the intermediate location, if you have one that works on your device - dropbox, g drive, one drive....
moon will not change the file name.
moon can also get it directly from dropbox or G drive if you give it permission and place a copy there. in moon go to its files tab and use cloud instead of local to browse your dropbox or whatever
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #20
tomx2
Connoisseur
tomx2 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
Ok, mission accomplished. It took a while but i have what i need and it's working fine...so far. If calibre doesn't change it's naming convention (my greatest fear) i should have no more issues with the naming of my files, finally! I have tested the workflow and all changes made via calibre are reflected in the reader as desired (Moon Reader Pro). Re-editing a file and replacing the old file on my device works as desired (the edits are reflected on the device) and due to the file name being the same (hooray!) my notes and annotations stay intact!

For any possible future interest, my workflow is to allow calibre to perform the desired edits/metadata changes. Then embed the edits (don't use send to device). And finally, manually move your files anywhere you like to enjoy. (Choose click to open and drag the file to your device).

This ensures that calibre can not change your file names, and if the file name remains consistent all else should be fine.

Thanks everyone for all your help, T

Last edited by tomx2; 09-29-2019 at 02:34 PM.
tomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote