Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.17.13651

Kobo Firmware 4.17.13651

Kobo firmware 4.17.13651 has been released. As of September 16, 2019, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, and the Kobo Libra H2O. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: So far, at least 50 posts in this thread has been about Kobo deciding to import dotfiles/folders. I have made a fix for this issue here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	affver_20190916.png
Views:	852
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	173496  

Last edited by geek1011; 09-19-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Now I just have to wait for patches from the great folks who make them.

Not trying to rush y’all with that, I really appreciate the time and energy you put into making things which improve a device I love
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Now I just have to wait for patches from the great folks who make them.
Just as an early warning, they won't be fully ready until Sunday at the earliest, as I have a lot to do this week (both with the patches and with other stuff). If I can, I may have an untested version (probably with a few missing patches too) ready for Thursday. If anyone wants to see the progress or do some testing, anything I put on GitHub won't crash anything, but it might not totally work either.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you. Great stuff.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
I wonder if any difference between this and 4.16?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, it's already working at my Clara, with the same patches that 4.16 (thank you again to jackie_w for the patch for the details window).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the curious, I decided to take the dive on my Forma.

The header spacing when disabled is MUCH improved from that of 4.16, I'd estimate I could squeeze a line of text into the space left by 4.17 but the text would be running up against the top bezel, still legible though. On 4.16 it was easily 2 if not 2.5 lines of what would be empty space.

The footer is about the same as 4.16 when disabled, though I feel there's probably space for two lines of text I've never been able to get the footer as consistent at the header in any firmware over the last year or so.

The progress bar seems to make such minimal difference that it doesn't move any text if I disable it with the header and footer both enabled or both disabled, nor with just one of the two enabled with the progress bar.

In testing that, it appears the enabled header and enabled footer take equal amounts of space. At least switching one off and the other on did not shift the text of a book from the bottom line to the next page.

If people really want images I'll look into that. But it's quite close if not identical to what David had posted in the 4.16 thread for the 4.17 version he was using.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
geek1011
Wizard

I just tested this quickly on my Mini, and it seems my main annoyances with the previous version have been fixed.

As MGlitch said, the vertical margins have improved. Note that to get the footer margin as small as possible, you may need to adjust your line spacing/font size to get the lines right to the bottom of the reading area.

Books don't lag when opening on the Mini anymore.

Fast page turn has been fixed (it was kind of broken in 4.16).

This may have been from 4.16, but there is now a nicer updating screen.

The interface in general is a bit faster, but there is a bit more ghosting than before (note that you probably won't see this on the newer devices).
Old 09-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Has there been a change in how to install these updates manually? I downloaded a zip file, opened it and put it in the .Kobo folder, disconnected from the computer and nothing happened. I even powered off the Forma and restarted it and zilch.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Once I receive my aura one and register with Kobo does she update to the latest firmware or I need to do it manually?.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Has there been a change in how to install these updates manually? I downloaded a zip file, opened it and put it in the .Kobo folder, disconnected from the computer and nothing happened. I even powered off the Forma and restarted it and zilch.

Jim
Nope that’s how you do a manual update. You should have had three things to move into the.kobo directory, moving the folder that they’re in over does nothing
Old 09-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Once I receive my aura one and register with Kobo does she update to the latest firmware or I need to do it manually?.
It will update on its own eventually, no one can say for sure when that will be because the updates go out in waves. I had to do a manual update for my Forma because syncing didn’t grab the update yet. But it would eventually be pushed to my device.

Or you can update manually.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #14
geek1011
Wizard

Oh, it also seems they removed the option to use the old reader (and most of the code which came with it), which is nice (and explains why the firmware is smaller than the previous one). This will make updating the patches a bit easier.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #15
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Nope that’s how you do a manual update. You should have had three things to move into the.kobo directory, moving the folder that they’re in over does nothing
Thanks, I did the folder, which as you say, does nothing.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote