Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
PRS-300/600 with lots of books

The PRS 505 is known to struggle with lots of books (slow to wake up after inserting a full memory card / not easy to navigate). Having broken my 505 I'm looking to upgrade ... do the new readers get round either of these issues, or do they still run the same basic software?
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Can't speak for the 600 but the 300 does not have any memory slots but has more internal storage then the 505. I quit using the memory cards in my 505 a long while ago because of the problems that it caused.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'd also like to know the answer to this question.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have about 1,100 books on a memory stick (not an SD card after I crashed the reader regularly after about 800 books).

It took 15 minutes to boot up after inserting the card. It took longer with the 505 (maybe 30 minutes).

Navigation is somewhat better with the 600 because of the alphabet listing on the right-hand side of the Books listing. You can click directly on the letter you want to go to (instead of having to go to a grouping of 3 and paging forward and back until you find the letter you want).

Having said that, if you have LOTS of "R's" (Nora Roberts, for example), you still have to page around to find the one you want. But it's still simpler than before.

One thing I've found annoying is when the books are sorted by Author (which is not immediately apparent - you have to choose that as an option), the books no longer sort by title as a secondary sort. They're all jumbled around (probably by date - I've only had it about 23 hours, so I haven't had time to play all that long yet!)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
my 505 would not take lots of books without misbehaving.....having 600 was the limit after that it would reset, give invalid pages, lose bookmarks and collections. Got the 600 today and it has happily taken all 921 of my books on the memory stick. It took no more than 5 mins to reboot, then a small wait while it formatted the book I opened then it acted normally....no invalid pages, no loss of bookmarks or collections, so I am really happy about that as it was my main gripe about my beloved 505's. The 600 is not a replacement but a worthy addition to me. I love the extras of having the dictionary too.
Still have a soft spot for my red 505 though lol
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I carry 160 books currently, no noticeable lag.

of the 160, about 70 I've read, and the rest is unread.

90 unread books which at one time I went, Hey that sounds good. I download it. design it in BD, then put it on my reader.

I never get having 1000+ books on your reader (not that I'm against the ability, but we are in the world of the ipod touch, and ipod mini, and shuffle now. where its okay again not to carry your entire library with you.) even if you are an insanely fast speed reader, you cant really knock back more than 10 a day. I'm lucky if I read 1 or 2 a week.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote