Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #16
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
The first handful of Honor Harrington books aren't too bad, but there's some serious sprawl later on.
The latest one in the main Honor Harrington series, A Rising Thunder, is also not too bad.

There's also Elizabeth Moon's Serrano Legacy series available from Baen.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #17
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks for the replies people, they're really helpful. I've been meaning to read Starship Troopers and LMB for ages. Any more recs?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #18
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post
I bought the e-books from Amazon.com, so they are available in the USA at least. I'm not sure about elsewhere.
Thanks, I found the HarperCollins US editions, another lot to add to my "when the US dollar dips" section of my wishlist.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:38 AM   #19
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I can't stand Tom Kratman's writing. I hear that Baen authors aren't really edited, except for copyediting. Man, he needed a good editor with a vicious red pen to reduce the size of each book by half. If that had happened, his Carrera books would be a lot better.
Each to their own. I enjoy most military SF and personally quite like Kratman's writing and in particular his Carrera books.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #20
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
For those that don't know it:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...r_Master_s_War

Their Master's War by Mick Farren

It's like Starship Troopers or The Forever War, but I thought it was better.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #21
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post
Well you can go ahead and strike David Weber off your list then. I like Weber, but that man needs an editor to reign him in.
That will never happen with a Baen book. I've heard Toni Weiskopf say, more than once, that they don't edit Weber because it only makes him slip his deadlines even worse than they already do.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #22
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Are any of the Company Wars books by Cj Cherryh available on kindle? I've got Downbelow Station, but none of the others seem to be.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #23
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Check out Ryk Brown The Frontiers Saga on Amazon. Free if you have kindle unlimited. 14 books in the series so far.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #24
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Are any of the Company Wars books by Cj Cherryh available on kindle? I've got Downbelow Station, but none of the others seem to be.
The two prequels Heavy Time and Hellburner are available direct from the author at Closed Circle, but they are set a long time before Downbelow Station. None of the others are available yet to my knowledge.

However DAW have recently released her Mri Wars books as The Faded Sun Trilogy ebook omnibus.

(Edit: After reading DAW's ebook version of The faded Sun Trilogy I have to warn that it has a lot of OCR errors, especially in the punctuation.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-16-2015 at 11:30 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #25
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
That will never happen with a Baen book. I've heard Toni Weiskopf say, more than once, that they don't edit Weber because it only makes him slip his deadlines even worse than they already do.
His editor at TOR (for Safehold books) must be of the same mind.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #26
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Charles E. Gannon - Caine

Military Sf ? Uhm, I could advise the Caine series.
It is a mixed bag, and certainly the second book is military sf, I suppose.
The series, until now is composed of 3 books,

Fire with Fire, Trial by fire and Raising Caine. All BAEN and in bundles as well, if you can still get some of them.

The second I found very compelling, if you like those books where Earthmen are smarter than anybody else (which is belittling the book a lot). It is really good.
Did you try the classics (Starship trooper, Forever war) ?
I also like Scalzi, "Old man's war" is really good as well, as is the second of the series.
Tried Weber (Redliners is free, if you wish to try). Good first part, especially the assault scenes, then it goes down.

I found quite readable the Odyssey series by Evan Currie, all four of them. Strongly advised.

Jay Allan (his marines serie) or Gus Flory (Galaxy of Heroes, only 2 books, but for once mankind is badly put, and it is quite readable and compelling) or B.V. Larson (the Star Force serie, cheap but quite nice and even if not small tomes, quite a quick read). Some of these guys are probably held as second fiddles to bigger guns, but they are quite good, and their books are worth the money they cost.
Or William Dietz, I found his "Legion of the Damned" quite nice
I would second also the Empire of man, read the first one, and it was good.
Enjoy.

Last edited by brudigia; 10-14-2015 at 03:51 PM.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Forlorn Hope is a very good Military Science Fiction book by David Drake. It is a standalone, not a series.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Forlorn-Ho...N%3DB013BEE32M
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't think anyone's mentioned David Drake's RCN series, starting with "With the Lightnings". Highly recommended.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #29
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Military Sf ? Uhm, I could advise the Caine series.
It is a mixed bag, and certainly the second book is military sf, I suppose.
The series, until now is composed of 3 books,

Fire with Fire, Trial by fire and Raising Caine. All BAEN and in bundles as well, if you can still get some of them.
I'm currently listening to Fire with Fire. (By the way, the author is Charles E. Gannon.) After picking up the book as a Kindle freebie (still free!), I took advantage of the Audible "deal" of $1.99. Watch out -- there's also a Kindle "second edition" that is selling for $6.99.

I might also suggest the Nicholas Seafort series by David Feintuch. This starts with Midshipman's Hope and there are 7 volumes in the series. The books are free through Kindle Unlimited. Otherwise, prices range from $3.99 to $6.99.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #30
Chaiwala
Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Forever War, Old Man's War, Terms of Enlistment, and Ender's Game are my favorites of all time so could start there.
Chaiwala is offline   Reply With Quote