Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Ainol Novo 7 Fire (Flame)

Decent tablet - silly name. Decent, that I will see. Today is my birthday (21.08 ) so I took the risk and ordered it. Was just released on the market. 1280x800 7" IPS screen, 16 GB, SD card, hdmi, 3G dongle support, Play market, ICS 4.0 etc etc. Cost me 136 € with delivery (with free delivery its 131 €) I ordered it from a UK company based in Taiwan.

Nexus is not even sold here yet (SD card missing etc). I wanted to try a 7" tablet, basically a new shiny toy. What better excuse than birthday
And anyway if it's a disappointment, not a very big money loss.

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 08-21-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Antonino1989
Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antonino1989 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Hi, I'm Antonino, I'm from Italy, and i signed up to ask you a question.

From where did you buy it?

And another thing.

You said you bought it from a UK company based in Taiwan.

I hope they ship from UK, because people may occur in import taxes...

Let me know please...

If they ship from UK I could order one!

Thanks.
Antonino1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I sent you link to your mailbox at MR. I'm not sure if I am allowed to give it here, I don't want to do unwanted advertising, I was just a customer.
I think they send it from Taiwan. They immediately sent me an invoice and order confirmation.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
nuffins
nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ainol novo 7 flame!! (hopefully)
hi i am interested in getting one of these tablets could you please mail me the uk website??
nuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffins View Post
hi i am interested in getting one of these tablets could you please mail me the uk website??
You've got mail.

For anyone else interested you may want to google ipadalternative and take it from there. I do not know the company, I'm taking risk like the next person.
Tablet sounds good but is Chinese, nuff said.
Advert
Old 08-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
nuffins
nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nuffins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ainol novo 7 flame!! (hopefully)
Did the suppliers give an estimated delivery time??
nuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Tablet sounds good but is Chinese, nuff said.
The iPad, Nexus 7 are many others are Chinese.

Regards _ John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post

Regards _ John
True true. But they would differ on the level of quality control I guess.

Update: it has been shipped. Let the tracking check every 30 minutes begin hee hee

delivery sales guy said 5 to 15 days with Singapore Post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdOl...e_gdata_player
Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
True true. But they would differ on the level of quality control I guess.

Update: it has been shipped. Let the tracking check every 30 minutes begin hee hee
I think you will be happy with your Fire (official name). I have two Ainol tablets; a Novo8 and an Aurora. There is nothing wrong with the quality. The only complaint I have is with battery run time, but they are shipping the new ones with a 5000 mah up from 3700. This should give a run time of about 7-8 hours.

Keep us posted on your thoughts and what you think of the battery life.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

It arrived to my local post office. I will pick it up today after work!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Careful when playing with fire!

Apparently, the early batches may have some sort of glitch which causes the touchscreen to become unresponsive after a few days of use.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/3806...hscreen-input/

You might want to wait until they sort out the source of the problem with the screen controller.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
Careful when playing with fire!

Apparently, the early batches may have some sort of glitch which causes the touchscreen to become unresponsive after a few days of use.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/3806...hscreen-input/

You might want to wait until they sort out the source of the problem with the screen controller.
I know. I read all there was anywhere about it and other bugs. I don't expect miracles. We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed...
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Oooh! Lovely! Play store works, is fast, been playing with it for an hour now, downloading some apps. Beautiful screen. Gee I DO hope it won't be ruined anytime soon because it is a nice piece of kit. I installed Go Launcher Ex and a theme. And Juice Defender. Lots of space for apps. Still, need to figure things out. I so very much hope that mine will not have any serious bugs, I would definitely hate to return it. It is a pleasure to hold, nothing cheap plasticky looking.
Delivery was fast (7 days), no tax, extremely well packed. Seller claims on website they test every unit before sending. It came with English settings. Wifi signal is strong, battery was at 90% out of the box. A lot of Chinese bloatware.
Can't figure out which firmware version I have or where to look for it as touch screen controller fix was released.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post

Regards _ John
Mate there's a big different to tablets that are manufactured in china for companies like ASUS ,samsung, apple other vs CHINA designed and manufactured there .

1. Firmware on tablets designed in china from company's like ONDA,TABTRONICS & others tend to be a bit poor and when the manufacturers fixes problems with the firmware they end up creating others
problems in the process.

2. Once a China company releases a new tablet in there line they drop the Support on there previous models so if they did not fix any problems before the new version came out then your screwed.

3.Quality Control - China Manufactures tend to have lower quality control so more shoddily made tablets on the production line end up getting to the customers.

Large Companies like Asus,Samsung & others that use china factories to make there tablets force much higher QUALITY CONTROL STANDARDS on the manufacture producing there products and the none china companies spend more time testing and refining there tablets for longer to get out any kinks.

4. when there is a high demand for china made tablet the manufacturer will tend to lower the quality control so they can get more tablets out of the factory to sell even though there substandard products.

I personally have been doing direct business with china manufactures in the southern province of shenzhen for the last 6+ years so know the pitfalls of dealing in china.

A tablet designed outside china can make a large difference to overall quality,there are some good tablets made in china but there's a lot more average or very poor ones made also.

ONDA
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Onda-Vi4...7113296&sr=1-2

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Didn't I say so as to different standards of quality control. Anyway I knew full well I play Russian roulette with buying whatever from China. It seems though I carefully chose a good seller. The unit seems to have been tested, it came with English settings AND a 16GB card already in it which I did not expect as it was not mentioned anywhere. I strongly suspected they also flashed it as it has full access to Play Store as opposed to what I read on internet.
I played with fire indeed, thinking I will take it for a ride today and whatever happens if it is broke I will send it back. Returns costs will be covered so the site says.

My general remarks:
So far I cannot complain. It took 3 battery recharges to see it improve. It charges veeeeeery slowly via usb plugged in adapter socket. Today I played continuously for some 2 hours to see if it would crash on me or not. It is still alive. Battery went from 99% to 72% in 2,5 hours of installing apps, surfing, playing with wallpapers, widgets and occassional mahjong. Battery temp 30*C. The first day it did get warmer. It seems to have stabilised after full recharges.
Wifi signal is strong and if it occasionally disconnects I blame various settings of extreme Juice Defender and WifiOpti. The thing that eats battery most is actually the screen, not wifi. And it is a beautiful clear vivid screen. I recharged the tablet overnight and so far since morning it lasted 15 h, 53 m - I used it actively for 2,5 hours the rest it spent on a shelf.
I hope it will continue to perform well. I'm quite pleased.