Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Just installed CM9 alpha2 on the HP TouchPad last night.
Would you mind linking which install guide you used, if any? I'm having a hard time finding a good one, and I want to put Android on mine.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Would you mind linking which install guide you used, if any? I'm having a hard time finding a good one, and I want to put Android on mine.
Used the following:
New Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide
CM9 on the Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide!

First guide is for prepping your PC and TouchPad to be able to install Android. Second guide is for actually installing Android.

Didn't try it when I installed CM9 on my TouchPad but I believe if you put the Google apps installer (signed_GAPPS-IML74K-010112.zip) in the CMinstall folder instead of the root, it will be installed at the same time as CM9 and you can skip Step 4 of Guide 2.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Thanks! I'll check them out and see if I can get Android on there this weekend.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Using Alpha 2 also. Mainly because the newspaperdirect and zinio apps in WebOS stink to high heavens. And OpenVPN works. Sadly, flash performance is much better in WebOS and IMHO WebOS is still far ahead of Android as an OS.

But switching is a pain since WebOS starts up very slowly, so I mostly use ICS.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not a huge fan of webOS. In fact, my TouchPad was just collecting dust for months until I decided to install CM9 on it.

They had plenty of good ideas and the hardware for the TouchPad was quite decent but the overall execution wasn't quite there. Flash on webOS felt more like just another spec rather than something that's actually useful. I've encountered several rendering glitches with the web browser (e.g. text that's cut off in the middle, etc). Granted, I may have given up too soon and some of the things I complained about may have been fixed in later firmware updates. Still, I'm much happier with CM9 than I was with webOS. Now if only they'd fix the battery drain and camera/mic so I can use it for video conferencing.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When saying Flash, I was referring to web video like Hulu. Runs much smoother in WebOS. Neither Android nor WebOS has problems with other flash elements on websites. Also, in WebOS I love the switching between windows and real background multi-tasking. That is why I am itching to try out Cornerstone in Android once they have upgraded to Alpha 2.

If they had followed through on that "Android apps running under WebOS" idea, I would stay with WebOS. Even though I have used Android for years, WebOS just seems more natural to me. Though I miss widgets.

In the end, apps are important. And even if they exist in WebOS, they often offer a lot less functionality than their Android equivalents.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Thanks! I'll check them out and see if I can get Android on there this weekend.
A very good scource for CM9 on the Touchpad is Rootzwiki.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18843-rel...od-9-touchpad/

On XDA-DEV you can check out a few variations on the theme.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1247

I tried several, but am staying with the vanilla Alpha 2 for the moment. Although switching is pretty easy. Just make a Nandroid backup, install the new version and if you don't like it, restoring the backup will get you back to your old version, 100%.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
When saying Flash, I was referring to web video like Hulu. Runs much smoother in WebOS. Neither Android nor WebOS has problems with other flash elements on websites. Also, in WebOS I love the switching between windows and real background multi-tasking. That is why I am itching to try out Cornerstone in Android once they have upgraded to Alpha 2.
Funnily enough, I was thinking of Hulu when I made that comment. Even with my TouchPad overclocked (which shouldn't really matter with hardware acceleration), Hulu wasn't really all that usable for me. I seem to recall the screen turning upside down every time I tried to watch a video fullscreen using the web browser and I didn't find any patches to fix it at the time. Admittedly, the latest firmware released was 3.0.2 when I last used my TouchPad. Not sure if the later updates or perhaps homebrew patches fixed the issues.

I love the cards and multi-tasking on webOS. However, the sluggishness even after overclocking, glitchy rendering on the web browser and lack of apps (or lack of features in apps) quickly made me lose interest in webOS. To me, it feels like CM9 alpha2 at 1.2GHz runs much smoother than webOS 3.0.2 did at 1.8GHz.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Funnily enough, I was thinking of Hulu when I made that comment. Even with my TouchPad overclocked (which shouldn't really matter with hardware acceleration), Hulu wasn't really all that usable for me. I seem to recall the screen turning upside down every time I tried to watch a video fullscreen using the web browser and I didn't find any patches to fix it at the time. Admittedly, the latest firmware released was 3.0.2 when I last used my TouchPad. Not sure if the later updates or perhaps homebrew patches fixed the issues.

I love the cards and multi-tasking on webOS. However, the sluggishness even after overclocking, glitchy rendering on the web browser and lack of apps (or lack of features in apps) quickly made me lose interest in webOS. To me, it feels like CM9 alpha2 at 1.2GHz runs much smoother than webOS 3.0.2 did at 1.8GHz.
3.02?? Oh dear. We have had 3.05 for months now. I really don't have any sluggishness in WebOS with a few of the patches installed and I only overclock Android. Hulu runs without a hitch. In Android I tried several different browsers (ICS+, Dolphin HD, Maxthron, stock) and I have yet to finish watching even a 25 minute program without having to restart the show at least twice (force close errors or the program just stops and never restarts). And Dolphin HD doesn't work for full screen at all, most of the others crash often when trying to switch.

Other sites, admittedly do work a lot better.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-09-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I dual-boot CM9 because I do prefer WebOS most of the time. But for apps you can't get on WebOS, then CM9 is very nice.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by misling View Post
I dual-boot CM9 because I do prefer WebOS most of the time. But for apps you can't get on WebOS, then CM9 is very nice.
Dual booting CM9(Ice Cream Sandwich) and WebOS is interesting. Will try this out. Based on the comments so far it appears to not be very stable, expected since its alpha. But does any have any issues when switching between WebOS and CM9 ?
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #27
HansTWN
Wizard

CM9 Alpha 2 is quite stable. A few well known issues exist, the camera doesn't for, for example. Some people have WiFi issues, not me, though.

Switching is easy enough and there are no issues. But you really do notice that WebOS is very slow starting up....
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
m0rdant
m0rdant began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Color
Does anyone know how you can remove books from the library in ReadMe (HP TouchPad)? Also, is there a setting in Calibre or Sigil that will create covers that will show in ReadMe?

Thanks
m0rdant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #29
manh2244
manh2244 began at the beginning.

Device: HP Touchpad (Cyanogenmod)
Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but I just wanted to reiterate what a number of users have already commented - the cyanogenmod 9 (CM9) install is the way to go if you have an HP Touchpad.

Let me tell you, I spent HOURS trying to sideload books so that they'd work with the webOS version of Kindle. Even when I got the process down to a science, I'd still run into issues with covers not loading properly. The CM9 install allows you to run Android's version of Kindle. Once installed, you can download "Send to Kindle" from Amazon and send books to your device with a right click. This version of Kindle also works much better with Calibre.

Again, this is old news by now. But in case any latecomers stumble upon this thread, read through the earlier replies for links to install CM9.
manh2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard

They should have CM10 now? Not that I care to upgrade, I rarely use it any more. Perhaps I will reconfigure mine to use with our home theater. Still works great as a general use Android tablet, but I never liked the low resolution for reading anything but newspapers and magazines.