Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Journal .pdf papers in Kindle 3

Just got my Kindle and one of the main reasons is that I read lots of scientific papers in .pdf format and I get tired reading from a pc/laptop screen, while printing all of them is just a crime against humanity (and my pocket).

Yeah I know I should get the DX because of the larger screen, but there is a big difference in price and I wanted a smaller device. So I bought it knowing it wouldnt be the best solution and being determined to work around any problems.
I'd like to know if other people it use it for this type of reading and what is their approach. My .pdfs are regular papers with the two columns format and the two columns is the main problem.

I tried 200% zoom and portrait mode or 150% and landscape. In portrait the fonts are somewhat small, while landscape has the problem that Shift is a bit far in order to scoll and that it needs a lot of scrolling down.

What's your preferences or what tricks do you use in order to make it easier for you?
Any advice would be appreciated
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
phlexi
phlexi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I don't have my kindle yet, but briss (hosted on sourceforge) and papercrop (hosted on google code) look like they may be handy.
phlexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
http://acko.net/blog/kindle-faux-pdf-zoom
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I have some pdf documents that I use from work, two column format with lots of tables and diagrams. I find the K3 to handle these documents very well. It is all a matter of preference I guess. You will not know until you get a device, or see one in Target, Best Buy or Staples.

The zoom feature built in to the K3 worked well for me as well. I was reading only a single column zoomed in, scrolling downward, and it was fine. It isn't like reading an ebook where you can change the font, line spacing and what have you, but it does work.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Thanks Dwayne, don't know if I didnt make it clear but I own a K3. I'm just looking for advices for older users. What their preferences are etc.

Anyone tried this faux zoom in K3 ?
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Vitel
Enthusiast
Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3 (broken), Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Fire, Kindle 4 Black
GlassX
I am working on a program that would reflow such pdf's to fit a 6"-inch screen. Text will be wrapped, but tables and pictures will be resized. Unfortunately it is in pre-alpha phase now. I have other work to do, too. I heard some people also try to write similar software. Maybe you should wait a couple of weeks until one of such programs pops up.
Vitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
GlassX
Connoisseur

I hope some solution will be found. Converting pdfs like the ones I have is not a solution for me right now.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
Vitel
Enthusiast
Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
I hope some solution will be found. Converting pdfs like the ones I have is not a solution for me right now.
In that case you should go for a Kindle DXG or a similar device like PocketBook 902 when it becomes available. Today's e-Ink screens are slow and not suitable for panning while reading. So you need a larger screen. BTW why is document conversion/reflow not acceptable for you?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #9
GlassX
Connoisseur

I wanted a small device and DXG wouldnt do it for me. Also there is the price difference.

The documents I want to read are scientific papers in .pdf and with two columns format. If I send them via mail to my @kindle.com mail they convert but some words get cut off and Tables get all jammed up. It is not 100% unreadable but if in every 2-3 paragraphs you have a sentence that is not full, you lose a lot of information.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
Vitel
Enthusiast

GlassX
That type of conversion is not what I mean. The program that I am currently working on reflows documents in scanned/graphical form. It takes graphical lines as they are and wraps some of them around so that they fit the page width. And it understands multicolumn documents. Can you send me a sample scientific pdf so that I can test it with my program (or just post a link to it here)? I will post here the result. I need to know if the program is worth the effort. It is not complete yet.

Last edited by Vitel; 09-26-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Augix
Augix began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I get the same problem. here is the link, should be the same format PDF as GlassX means.
that would be great help with such a program !
this is an open article, you wont get problem for the access.

http://www.plospathogens.org/article...esentation=PDF
Augix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want a Kindle to read your Journal PDF, forget it. It won't be satisfying. I cannot think of any eink reader 6" or less that will be all that wonderful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 AM   #13
GlassX
Connoisseur

Sorry Vitel, I did not understand that you meant something like that.
The .pdf is with the same style as the one Augix mentioned.
For example:
http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/dmj/29/4/362/_pdf

(it is open access, so no needs to worry)

JSWolf you are right and I don't expect miracles. However I believe things could be improved. Until now I use the 200% in portrait, reading one column, or the 150% in landscape mode reading again one column.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 AM   #14
Augix
Augix began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
is that fine with u? I haven't decide the whether kindle 3 or DX yet. Is that readable for 2 column pdf in kindle 3? The main read source is pdf for me, DX should be better, however as the same reason u have mentioned, hard to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
Sorry Vitel, I did not understand that you meant something like that.
The .pdf is with the same style as the one Augix mentioned.
For example:
http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/dmj/29/4/362/_pdf

(it is open access, so no needs to worry)

JSWolf you are right and I don't expect miracles. However I believe things could be improved. Until now I use the 200% in portrait, reading one column, or the 150% in landscape mode reading again one column.
Augix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #15
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I'm using my kindle3 with roleplayinggames-PDFs which are similar formated (in 2 columns with lots of grafic) i work with 150%Zoom and "nudge"-scrolling (thats shift+5_way_controller) But, i would love to have a program wich is capable of cutting the pages at the right moments.
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote