Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
SOLD!

Two Nooks, just not to me. While I spent 30 minutes chatting with the gentleman in B&N about the Nook, he managed to sell two Nooks to two other customers for their wives. I got a chance to take a 'test drive' and also listen in on some conversations.

A couple of people passed by that owned Nooks and I asked them how they liked their devices, and they were very pleased with how responsive the company has been with the software updates. One of them figured at this rate there would be another update by Christmas, and said he thought the Nook would definitely drop $10-20 in time for the holiday sales.

So I've decided the Nook is the way to go for me, and have decided to wait. Christmas is what? Just over three months away?

Julie

*counts the days impatiently*
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
While you are waiting... set up your account at BN.com. Then you can snag whatever free books are offered while you wait to buy your nook and have them in your online library ready to go.

You can grab 12 of the BN Classic series until Tuesday.

http://www.bn.com/freelibrary

I don't know about price drops, but my rather CHEAP hubby, after we'd waited until the prices fell to the $149 mark for Nook WiFi, said he'd enjoyed his so much, he now would've been happy to have bought it earlier and paid the higher price! That's REAL unusual for him...
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
Atomix
Enthusiast
Atomix began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
if you have a b&n shop nearby, there's no point waiting for a ten dollar drop - I had to pay 210 for my nook, since it had to be shipped internationally
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Graycyn - that's an excellent idea. Going to set up an account right now.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I can see delaying gratification if you are talking about saving $10 or $20 a month but you are saving well under that. Unless the budget is really tight, I think you should get your Nook now. You will be able to enjoy it right away.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I adree w/ Prof Crash. I was thinking about waiting for Black Thursday or Xmas, but why put it off? You can get one at Best Buy right now w/ a free 25 dollar gift card. And you'll have a great library set up (and partly read) before Xmas.

I actually bought my reader yesterday and I'm loving it.

It is kinda fun researching, deciding, and even anticipating, but there's no let down in following through and getting it.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
katman
katman began at the beginning.

Hello. I'm new here, so pardon the probably silly question. I am purchasing a Nook for my wife and have downloaded the 12 classics to get her a head start. How will she get these on her Nook once it arrives?

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
While you are waiting... set up your account at BN.com. Then you can snag whatever free books are offered while you wait to buy your nook and have them in your online library ready to go.

You can grab 12 of the BN Classic series until Tuesday.

http://www.bn.com/freelibrary

I don't know about price drops, but my rather CHEAP hubby, after we'd waited until the prices fell to the $149 mark for Nook WiFi, said he'd enjoyed his so much, he now would've been happy to have bought it earlier and paid the higher price! That's REAL unusual for him...
katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
Hello. I'm new here, so pardon the probably silly question. I am purchasing a Nook for my wife and have downloaded the 12 classics to get her a head start. How will she get these on her Nook once it arrives?

Thanks for the help!
When you get her nook, you'll register it to your B&N account during setup and the books will download automatically, or when you tell the nook to check for new B&N content.
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
Her nook will prompt for registration with a barnes and noble account. Register with the same account you used to get the classics and they will then be available on the nook.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
katman
katman began at the beginning.

Thank you

Thanks for the quick responses. We've learned a lot from this friendly group.
katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
A couple of people passed by that owned Nooks and I asked them how they liked their devices, and they were very pleased with how responsive the company has been with the software updates.
I (still) like my Nook and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But I thought I'd chime on the happiness with the software updates. What is there exactly to be happy about? I'm really curious.

Personally I'm very displeased with rate of software updates. In fact nook, which runs Android operating system, is getting much less updates than B&N ereader software for other (non-B&N) Android devices. Much less.

So I'm very curious why out of all the features did they mention the happiness with responsiveness with soft updates.... Last software update for nook (running android 1.6) was around June 21, last software update for other android devices Sept 9, before that Aug 5th, before that Jul 22nd (dates from BNBuzz twitter). Nook devices is totally neglected as far as software updates.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I think the rate of software updates leaves much to be desired. Especially because they were more frequent earlier this year. Their choice of features to work on is puzzling also. I'm not sure why they decided to work on the browser instead of book organization, which seems to be greatly desired.

I'm guessing that the dev team was pulled of bug fixes to work on the next iteration for nook2 (or whatever they call it).
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
chichichobits
chichichobits began at the beginning.

Device: none
ughz how did i miss all the free ebook classics I hope they become free again lol
chichichobits is offline   Reply With Quote