Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #31
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
I don't think it would make any difference with regard to having to uninstall it to get updates from Amazon to install, but with Amazon releasing the source code for all versions of the Kindle, it should be possible for the screensaver code to be modified to put the directory back in the framework config. It might make the screensaver mod cleaner.
You're confused on what source code they released. They released the patches to the GPL'd code that they are required by law to do, but none of their own programs (like the entirety of the Java Framework GUI, the audible/topaz/mobi libraries, power management daemon, eInk device drivers, etc.) are open source. This means that the source code they released doesn't really help anyone at all, unless you're really interested in how they modified busybox, which I sure ain't.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #32
domulys
domulys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Has it been confirmed that the new DX screensaver hack cycles through photos? So far, I've seen only 1 photo in the cycle, though I only have 2 uploaded...
domulys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #33
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If you just added the new photo then you need to reboot your Kindle to have it appear in the rotation.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:17 AM   #34
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
You're confused on what source code they released. They released the patches to the GPL'd code that they are required by law to do, but none of their own programs (like the entirety of the Java Framework GUI, the audible/topaz/mobi libraries, power management daemon, eInk device drivers, etc.) are open source.
Actually EInk drivers are present at least in the K2 sources.
linux-2.6.22-lab126\linux-2.6.22\drivers\video\eink\Kconfig:
Quote:
config FB_EINK_HAL_APOLLO
tristate "eInk HAL Driver for the Apollo Controller"
depends on FB_EINK_HAL && ARCH_FIONA

config FB_EINK_HAL_STEPHANIE
tristate "eInk HAL Driver for the Stephanie Controller"

config FB_EINK_HAL_EIGHTRACK
tristate "eInk HAL Driver for the 8-Track Controller"

config FB_EINK_HAL_BROADSHEET
tristate "eInk HAL Driver for the Broadsheet Controller"
depends on FB_EINK_HAL && ARCH_MXC
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #35
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Actually EInk drivers are present at least in the K2 sources.
Yeah, but do those actually give you access to control the eInk display? I was under the impression that those were just interface drivers and the real work was done through a closed source binary "blob" (similar to the nvidia, and MANY other commercial, linux drivers). I could be wrong though, and I'm too lazy to go through the sources to find out -- I'd rather poor over the 300k lines of ARM machine code from the topaz library, and I don't have any intention of doing that either.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #36
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Nope, they're complete drivers. Of course they don't do much more than toggle some GPIOs and send binary image data over to the controller.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #37
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it does indeed use battery. Every time the screen is changed, it takes more battery then just left in standby with a fixed image.
Yes, but the screen DOESN'T change. It shows one image the entire time it is in "screensaver" mode. So, I fail to see how it uses any battery. The images do not cycle except that a new one will pop up each time you let it sleep, then it just stays on that image until the next time you put it to sleep (or call up the "screensaver").

Wolfie, you really need to consider owning and using a device before you wander off pontificating about it. Don'tcha think?
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #38
KindleLoverAnnie
KindleLoverAnnie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Anyone wanna help me out here? Every time I copy the BIN install file to the Kindle DX device, and then unplug it to update, no new folder is ever created. Therefore, I can't add my own screensavers. I've been at it for a good 3 hours, and still nothing. I think I might be having trouble with the "root" part. What exactly is the root of the Kindle DX?
KindleLoverAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleLoverAnnie View Post
Anyone wanna help me out here? Every time I copy the BIN install file to the Kindle DX device, and then unplug it to update, no new folder is ever created. Therefore, I can't add my own screensavers. I've been at it for a good 3 hours, and still nothing. I think I might be having trouble with the "root" part. What exactly is the root of the Kindle DX?
I don't have a DX but take a look at the Kindle 2 Screen Saver Hack wiki page. The second image shows you what the root directory looks like.

<Hint>

Still waiting for a DX owner to volunteer and share images of how to apply this hack for the Kindle DX Screen Saver Hack wiki page.

</hint>
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #40
KindleLoverAnnie

So, I figured out what was wrong... No "system" folder appears as it does in the link provided with images. But whenever I go to make a new folder named "system," it tells me it already exists. I'm so confused. How do you change the directories?

Last edited by KindleLoverAnnie; 06-18-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #41
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, I figured out what was wrong... No "system" file appears. But whenever I go to make a new folder named "system," it tells me it already exists. I'm so confused.
It's hidden folder. From within Windows Explorer do this (I don't know if this is a Mac issue):

Tools >> Folder Options >> View (tab) >> Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" >> Click "okay" and you should be good to go.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #42
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
That needs to be added to the instructions for both the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX screensaver packages.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #43
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
That needs to be added to the instructions for both the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX screensaver packages.
You can add it (I want more people to participate in the wikis) .
Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #44
KindleLoverAnnie

Found it! Turns out you have to double click on it, and adjust another setting within it.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #45
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Found it! Turns out you have to double click on it, and adjust another setting within it.
Did your selection look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SHOW HIDDEN.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	30956