Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
How the E-Book will change the way we read and write

Wall Street Journal Article - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123980920727621353.html

Quote:
With books becoming part of this universe, "booklogs" will prosper, with readers taking inspiring or infuriating passages out of books and commenting on them in public. Google will begin indexing and ranking individual pages and paragraphs from books based on the online chatter about them. (As the writer and futurist Kevin Kelly says, "In the new world of books, every bit informs another; every page reads all the other pages.") You'll read a puzzling passage from a novel and then instantly browse through dozens of comments from readers around the world, annotating, explaining or debating the passage's true meaning.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I disliked this article, mainly because he generalized unique features of a particular device to e-books as a whole, invalidating his conclusions. If all Readers were Kindles and Amazon the only vendor, then the article may have had some value.

Then too, he blithely extended Amazon's bookstore to Google's endeavors, with no thoughtful discussion of the pros and cons of Google "ranking" books... all in all, it was a fluffy gush piece on how much he likes his Kindle.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
robynebr
Zombie Gourmand
robynebr began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
In a way, I'm glad I don't have a Kindle with it's auto-online status, so I'm forced to hold off on my impulse buys until I'm at a desktop.

I can see his point (about buying more and reading less) - we are a world of impulse buyers. But I think many of us are the same avid readers as before, especially those of us who always kept a selection of books around just in case our mood changed. (The "bedside stack" reader.)

RE: paying per chapter, that's just a strange concept. But it does bring to mind the old "serial publishing" of novels.
robynebr is offline   Reply With Quote