Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
Calibre 64 Bit - Windows 7 Help Please

I just installed Calibre on my new PC running Windows 7 74 bit and the whole Calibre main screen comes up white with no shading of alternate rows or anywhere else.
On my old box Calibre interface was shaded grey with the rows of books alternating between white and grey.
I can't find any setting dealing with colors like this - can anyone please tell me how to restore the shading.
thanks
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Where did the extra 10s bit come from?

Try changing your Windows theme and see if that make a difference (works fine on both the Standard W7 and Toshiba themes)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Talking

The extra 10 bits came from poor typing skills..LOL

Thanks - changing the theme to Windows Classic worked - none of the Aero themes allowed the shading to show.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmm -wrong diagnosis?
I am using an aero theme & I can see shading OK
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want Aero without transparency

Windows->Control Panel->Personalization()->Window Color

Set Enable Transparency off

Adjust Color intensity

Can't recall if this fixes the alternate colors in Calibre, but it fixes problems of this nature in other places - including Windows itself.

BR

ps : I don't have Calibre on the computer I'm using, so this is a guess

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-24-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: add ps:
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I have calibre64 + aero + transparency +win 7 home premium 64 bit all playing nicely together without having to mess with any settings. latest calibre. ATI graphics card.

must be something else "wrong" in OPs environment - maybe it's a video Ram / video drivers issue?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Well I have calibre64 + aero + transparency +win 7 home premium 64 bit all playing nicely together without having to mess with any settings. latest calibre. ATI graphics card.

must be something else "wrong" in OPs environment - maybe it's a video Ram / video drivers issue?
Yes, could be a graphics card issue - the one I use for Calibre doesn't have much memory, only 256K or maybe even 128K - getting rid of transparency solved issues I had with a vertical taskbar, decorating Excel cells etc.

Damned if I can find Calibre's alternate row shading setting, can't recall ever seeing it either.

If someone can enlighten me as to its whereabouts then I'll see what it does on this ancient no name video adapter.

BR
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yes, could be a graphics card issue - the one I use for Calibre doesn't have much memory, only 256K or maybe even 128K - getting rid of transparency solved issues I had with a vertical taskbar, decorating Excel cells etc.

Damned if I can find Calibre's alternate row shading setting, can't recall ever seeing it either.

If someone can enlighten me as to its whereabouts then I'll see what it does on this ancient no name video adapter.

BR
Preferences: Tag Browser has one,The other place is Coloring Columns: There is now a setting for ALL columns (=a row in my book)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preferences: Tag Browser has one,The other place is Coloring Columns: There is now a setting for ALL columns (=a row in my book)
@theducks for you for me

My main book list has alternate row shading but because its so very very faint I never noticed it. It only became 'obvious' when I turned on the Tag Browser setting and it too was very very faint

I suspect that's spud357c's situation also.

Damn Microsoft and their Bling :lol:

BR
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
spud357c
Enthusiast

Thanks all, both the suggestion for using Classic windows theme and turning off transparency have restored the shading to Calibre nothing has brought back the alternate colors in the rows. The column color setting only deals with the columns and doesn't touck the rows.
I don't think it is a video card issue - it is a new Nvidia GT630 card with 2 gig of memory and everything else is running perfectly.
Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

you could maybe check for differences between calibre32 & calibre64 behaviour ON THE SAME PC with various themes - that will help clarify if it is a specific issue with only the 64 bit version. they can be installed side-by-side.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
spud357c
Enthusiast

I tried the 32 bit version and I was right back where I started with no shading at all. It must be a setting somewhere in Windows 7 that is causing the problem.
I am back with no theme, just classic setting and will stay that way unless someone has other suggestions.
I really miss the alternate shading of books in the library though.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@spud357c - what happens if you check Preferences->Look and Feel->Tag Browser->Use alternating row colours ?

On my rig the difference between shaded & unshaded is almost imperceptible, see attachment.

Its not something I care about much, also I find that changing one thing in Windows Personalization often has unintended consequences - so I apply the IIABDFI rule and leave it alone.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	100058  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
spud357c
Enthusiast

I tried that and no change. On my old box running Windows 98 the shading between the rows is very distinct and make it easy to sort and follow books.

As mentioned earlier in the thread turning off themes did bring the color back into the main page but the rows still all remain white.
I know it's not a big deal but I am so used to the alternating rows it just bugs the heck out me.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@spud357c - I just did a switch to Windows Classic (after saving images of my settings), I got the same indistinct... might as well not be there... shading as I get with Aero.

I have a vague feeling that the loss of distinct row shading might have happened when Windows 2000 or XP came along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud357c View Post
I know it's not a big deal but I am so used to the alternating rows it just bugs the heck out me.
I know the feeling.

I'm out of ideas mate - Good luck - BR