Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
peterdanckwerts
peterdanckwerts began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Why does changing ISBN for one format change all?

I've just converted an ePub to mobi. When I try to change the ISBN for the mobi file, Calibre changes the ISBN for the ePub as well. This isn't actually a problem as I still have the original ePub, but surely Calibre shouldn't do it. The ISBN should be different for each format, just as a hardback book has a different one from a paperback.
peterdanckwerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdanckwerts View Post
I've just converted an ePub to mobi. When I try to change the ISBN for the mobi file, Calibre changes the ISBN for the ePub as well. This isn't actually a problem as I still have the original ePub, but surely Calibre shouldn't do it. The ISBN should be different for each format, just as a hardback book has a different one from a paperback.
Calibre has "books" and "formats" for that book. Each book can have a single ISBN, but multiple formats. If you want different ISBNs for your different formats, you'll have to create separate records and treat each format as a distinct book.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
peterdanckwerts
peterdanckwerts began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
All I'm saying is that Calibre doesn't default to good practice. It shouldn't encourage users to apply the same ISBN to different formats.
peterdanckwerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
All I'm saying is that Calibre doesn't default to good practice. It shouldn't encourage users to apply the same ISBN to different formats.
I'd say the publishing industry doesn't default to good practice. It shouldn't be requiring the assignation of ISBNs to ebooks, and certainly not different ones to the same edition in different formats. This is the information age, one of the wonderful features of the information age is that information is easily manipulated by everybody, including individuals. That means that individuals can and will manipulate books: customize them, convert them to the format they like the best and generally, do whatever they like with them. As such an identifier system tied to specific formats is anachronistic, at best.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
AFAICT, calibre is neutral on this. When you add a different format you've purchased, you can tell calibre to create a new record or add it to the existing record. Calibre doesn't care. The former is what you want, the latter is what I do. Adding books with a publisher-obtained ISBN is where the concept of ISBN has meaning, if it has any at all for ebooks.

As far as creating new formats by conversion - there is no applicable ISBN that's any better than the ISBN for the source format, so the new format should have the same ISBN as the source.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That means that individuals can and will manipulate books: customize them, convert them to the format they like the best and generally, do whatever they like with them. As such an identifier system tied to specific formats is anachronistic, at best.
Amen !
paulfiera is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, isbn