Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Is anyone buying a microsd card?

Hello - I'm curious if you find the 8gig internal memory to be enough?
It seems like it would get filled fast.
Did you buy a sd card & if so what size is it?
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I want to buy one too, but need advice on this as well! I just have the 'regular' sized SD cards at home, so I don't know what sizes the smaller ones come in...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
well, the 8gb's is actually 6.34GB out of the box. that is sub-divided into 1GB of what they call internal storage, and 5.34GB of internal SD card storage. It seems apps downloaded are sent to the smaller internal storage, and need to be manually moved to internal SD card storage, unless I'm missing something..

In any case, I've already filled up the internal memory with a couple of movies, apps and books, so yes, external sd cards will be needed. What I've usually done in the past is have a couple smaller 2-4gb cards filled with content and swap them out as needed. It's just a matter of keeping track of what's on what card, and not misplacing them.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I want to buy one too, but need advice on this as well! I just have the 'regular' sized SD cards at home, so I don't know what sizes the smaller ones come in...
the kobo vox can handle up to a 32GB card, so 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32 (size always doubles.)
Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
ron1959
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
well, the 8gb's is actually 6.34GB out of the box. that is sub-divided into 1GB of what they call internal storage, and 5.34GB of internal SD card storage. It seems apps downloaded are sent to the smaller internal storage, and need to be manually moved to internal SD card storage, unless I'm missing something..

In any case, I've already filled up the internal memory with a couple of movies, apps and books, so yes, external sd cards will be needed. What I've usually done in the past is have a couple smaller 2-4gb cards filled with content and swap them out as needed. It's just a matter of keeping track of what's on what card, and not misplacing them.
Just curious - wouldn't it be easier to use a 32 gig card instead of swapping out 2 or 4 gig cards?
Which brings up another question, If a 32 gig card is loaded with data, will the vox quickly read/map the data contents?

BTW what format are your movies and what app do you use to watch them?
Cheers...
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Yikes, the 32 gig card is $100!!!! The 16 gig is $30 - that seems more reasonable - plus may be more reasonable for the Vox to handle (in terms of processor speed), no?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
ron1959
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Yikes, the 32 gig card is $100!!!! The 16 gig is $30 - that seems more reasonable - plus may be more reasonable for the Vox to handle (in terms of processor speed), no?
I've just been comparing the 32g micro sd card prices on future shop, best buy.ca and amazon.com.
As usual canadians are getting the shaft...the price gouging is too extreme.
It might be a deal breaker as far as buying a kobo vox...
Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
For me, 5gb (what can be use) is enough. I have many app and game, many book (epub and pdf), some long, complet, manga and comic, and i still have space. For me, there is no need for a micro sd card.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1959 View Post
Just curious - wouldn't it be easier to use a 32 gig card instead of swapping out 2 or 4 gig cards?
Which brings up another question, If a 32 gig card is loaded with data, will the vox quickly read/map the data contents?

BTW what format are your movies and what app do you use to watch them?
Cheers...
it comes down to an old camera thing; sure it's great to have all the content on one card, but if you lose that card, then you have nothing. If you spread it around and lost one card (or it gets corrupted, at least you still have some content to watch

and yes, obviously the more content it has to process while mounting the card, the longer it may take.

As for format, with the vox, I've tried WMV, AVI and MPeg and all worked fine, except if the audio was dolby digital. I'll have re-convert those. I generally don't have a preference as I seem to have to change it again when something else comes out as it doesn't support the format I had been using at the time. *shrug* as for player, currently using MVideoPlayer.. I like the bookmarking feature.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
ron1959
Connoisseur

Ncix has a 32gb micro sd card on sale for C$45 (through thursday).

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=63...y&promoid=1316
Old 10-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic

I think I'll be happy with about 8 or 16 gig - it's just for me to put HD movies and other things from my PC that I want to watch on my Vox. I agree that if you get a big one, you may be disappointed if it becomes corrupted or something...
Old 10-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Ray 46
Ray 46 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch, Kobo Vox
I bought a 16GB and installed without any problem. I tend to have a lot of photos and need the space.
Ray 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
The best prices I've found have been from http://bestdirect.ca/ . Kingston 32 Gb microSD Card for $55. I've purchased lots of stuff from them and have been quite happy. No problems at all in about 15 shipments.

They do charge $10 shipping and usually use courier companies although they have a free shipping if more than $80 right now. They will sometimes ship things from both warehouses even though the store states they have lots of stock in the Vancouver store. (I'm in Alberta.)

I like their wish list so I can add things when I think about them and later when I have to get something I can go through my wish list as well.

They generally tag description of items quite well. So searching on Kingston 32gb works quite well.

Note that I don't work for them or own stock or whatever. I'm just a happy customer.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you have a CanadaComputers handy, check them out too.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
PDF files demand more space. So do comics or images. Plus, the card will keep crap out of the slot if it's in there... as Kobo did not see fit to include a cover or dummy card.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote