Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
This is something I'd certainly like to know. I think the ghosting IS bad. Headache-inducing bad. If it's as bad on the Cybook as on the reader, then it will be a deal-breaker for me.
You must have seen a Reader with extraordinarily bad ghosting. On most, it's barely noticeable, and is less visible than the "bleed through" of ink from the other side of the page that one gets in many printed books. Do you get headaches due to this effect in printed books too?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #47
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry? MobiPocket Reader is available for a wide range of different hardware platforms - it most definitely is not "single platform" and you certainly don't need to run XP to use it.
Then tell us where the OSX or Linux version of the reader can be downloaded.

Tell us where the non-Windows version of their eBook creator can be downloaded.

Tell us where the full for their ebook format can be read so that someone can create these applications if MobiPocket doesn't want to make them.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #48
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Then tell us where the OSX or Linux version of the reader can be downloaded.

Tell us where the non-Windows version of their eBook creator can be downloaded.

Tell us where the full for their ebook format can be read so that someone can create these applications if MobiPocket doesn't want to make them.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I should clarify (since some need clarification) that when I said "single platform" I was referring to pc platforms. And I mean the broader definition of the term "pc" not the Windows centric definition. Yes I know cell phones, dvd players, and even my car all have computers imbedded in them running some sort of OS. But until they gain the functionality of my laptop I still think of them as devices- not as platforms running an OS. My Sony Reader (and the Cybook) I'm told run Linux, but until someone opens it up so I can run third party apps or they add apps that extend it's functionality its still just a device.

And speaking of Cybook running Linux... If the Cybook has a Mobipocket client that is apparently written for Linux, how is it they can't release the same for desktop/laptop users? And as I understand it, it is a very small step to port from linux to OSX. They say they don't have the resources, but really- how many more Mac and Linux users are out there than Cybook users? I have it on good authority that some are even literate!
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #49
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The iLiad runs Linux, too, and has a Mobipocket reader app. I believe its Linux version is the same as the Reader's.

But I seem to recall something from somewhere that Mobipocket (now that it's an Amazon holding, anyway) requires that device makers agree not to use other (proprietary?) formats in order get access to the Mobi reading app. However, I can't substantiate that recollection, so I guess we have to take it as rumor unless somebody else can do so, so, as always, salt to taste.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenflight View Post
And speaking of Cybook running Linux... If the Cybook has a Mobipocket client that is apparently written for Linux, how is it they can't release the same for desktop/laptop users? And as I understand it, it is a very small step to port from linux to OSX. They say they don't have the resources, but really- how many more Mac and Linux users are out there than Cybook users?
One difference is that IReX and Bookeen and Pepper (PepperPad 3) all apparently did their own "ports" of the basic Java Reader to their devices. If you ask MobiPocket for support - they redirect you to the device vendor. Another reason why MobiPocket may not want to make the Java version available to everyone is that it provides a mechanism to crack their DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #51
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Another reason why MobiPocket may not want to make the Java version available to everyone is that it provides a mechanism to crack their DRM.
Past tense provided

That's how it was cracked.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #52
Ravenflight
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
But I seem to recall something from somewhere that Mobipocket (now that it's an Amazon holding, anyway) requires that device makers agree not to use other (proprietary?) formats in order get access to the Mobi reading app.
Quick! Somebody should notify Mobi that their reader has been illegally ported to a platform that is riddled with other incompatible proprietary formats- Microsoft Windows! Why, Microsoft cant even do HTML without making it incompatible and proprietary.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #53
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #54
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Egghead,

I've had my PRS-500 for about a month now and the occasional ghosting is nowhere near enough to cause headaches - at least to me. If anything, the biggest problem I've had prior to buying one of those XtraFlex Duo LED lights was trying to read by the light of a single 25-watt compact fluourescent light. Ugh! I got spoiled by the backlighting on my Axim x51v! However, now that I have my Duo LED, I've got no complaints.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
This is something I'd certainly like to know. I think the ghosting IS bad. Headache-inducing bad. If it's as bad on the Cybook as on the reader, then it will be a deal-breaker for me.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #55
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

Edit: Sorry, I somehow am not replying to the post I thought I was replying to.
phuata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #56
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You must have seen a Reader with extraordinarily bad ghosting.
That's quite possible. It was a store display model and I have no idea how it had been used and abused before I played with it. It may not have been functioning properly.
Quote:
On most, it's barely noticeable, and is less visible than the "bleed through" of ink from the other side of the page that one gets in many printed books. Do you get headaches due to this effect in printed books too?
Very rarely, and only in the wrong type of light conditions. Which may have also been a contributing factor in the store setting, come to think of it.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:34 PM   #57
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
350 Euro is $485 and 450 Euro is $624. Both prices, in my opinion, are far too high to be a commercial success, at least here in the US - especially with the current pricing of the Sony Reader.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:16 AM   #58
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba View Post
350 Euro is $485 and 450 Euro is $624. Both prices, in my opinion, are far too high to be a commercial success, at least here in the US - especially with the current pricing of the Sony Reader.
It does not work like that. In Europe we have a sales tax (VAT) that is around 18-20%, depending on the country. It is not allowed to advertise without the tax. The US pricing wil be 20% cheaper. In adds you can say that Euro=Dollar
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenflight View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. I should clarify (since some need clarification) that when I said "single platform" I was referring to pc platforms. And I mean the broader definition of the term "pc" not the Windows centric definition. Yes I know cell phones, dvd players, and even my car all have computers imbedded in them running some sort of OS. But until they gain the functionality of my laptop I still think of them as devices- not as platforms running an OS. My Sony Reader (and the Cybook) I'm told run Linux, but until someone opens it up so I can run third party apps or they add apps that extend it's functionality its still just a device.
Hmmm. If you get to define what words mean then I guess that you can indeed make any claim that you wish .

To my mind, a "computer" is any general purpose device on which I can run my own applications, as opposed to something like, say, the Sony Reader, which is a "closed" system that the user can't install his own apps on.

The iLiad, Pocket PC, Palm, etc, are all general purpose computers on which one can install one's own applications. All of these have a version of the MobiPocket Reader available for them, so with the Windows version, that makes at least four different platforms that it's available for, by my reckoning.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:40 AM   #60
Ravenflight
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba View Post
Yep the feature set would have to be pretty compelling to go from 49.00 Sony to 485.00 Cybook!

Things on my list:
1. Super white screen- No I don't mean contrast I mean is it newspaper white, paperback white, hardcover acid free white, or glossy acid free white?
2. No ghosting
3. Ability to sort easily by title and author across multiple formats
4. Fast response- screen and software
5. Remembers last page open for every file
6. Seamless handling of different formats
7. Would love to be able to read the newspaper (NY Times) with links.

Last edited by Ravenflight; 09-14-2007 at 03:59 AM.