Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
austie333
austie333 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Multiple listings same book

Hi folks,

I have transferred a number of books to my new e-reader and when I look at the list of books I copied the listing shows multiple entries for each book - so for example, I might have loaded "Book A", but when I then go and have a look at the list of books, I see:

Book A
Book A
Book A
Book A

And it does this for every book, although sometimes it lists a book only twice. Does anyone have any idea what is happening?
austie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
First, what software are you using to put your books on to your reader? If you are using Sony's software, I can't help you much since I have never bothered with that unfriendly and limited software - I would heavily suggest the free software called Calibre for managing your ebook library and reader. If you are using Calibre and if you don't find your answer here, you should post your question in the Calibre forum for better help.

Anyways, here is an attempt at solving your issue:

1. Take a look at your reader when it is plugged into your computer via your finder/explorer (not the reader/calibre software) and go to the usb drives associated with your reader. There will be at least 2 drives - one for your reader's book/pic/music library and one that is called setting that hold's the sony reader software installation. If you have a memory card, there will be a 3rd partition that represents the card. Look at the partition/drive(s) that hold your books and look to see if there are duplicate books. If so, feel free to delete all duplications and disconnect your reader and let it rebuild its metadata file automatically. If this solves your problem, then the problem was with how the sony library or calibre puts your books onto the reader.

2. If there are no duplicates on those partitions, then the metadata database on the reader is corrupt. If so, you can simply delete the metadata xml file on the reader and have the reader rebuild the file and hopefully that will fix your issue. An alternate way is to simply reformat the reader done in the reader's Settings > Initialization > Format Memory command.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
If you are using the Sony Library software, the duplicate titles are probably due to the "Sync" feature. I had lots of problems with this when I first got my 700 almost two years ago. Now, I've disabled the automatic sync feature under "Preferences" and have much less trouble by dragging and dropping my ebooks manually.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Neon Kitten
Neon Kitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Neon Kitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Neon Kitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Neon Kitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Just got my 650 today, and already ran into duplicated books after the first sync.

I'm wondering if the problem has to do with how the Reader Library software tries to auto-set the date and time and, for me at least, gets it wrong by an hour (it sets the clock to be an hour ahead of my system time; I have tested this on both PC and Macbook with the same result on each).

The time-setting thing is an issue I'll post separately about though.

I'd really like sync to work properly, as I have to use the Reader Library to authorise borrowed eBooks from my local library. Tried Adobe Digital Editions but it's so glacially slow at reading the contents of the 650 it's useless.
Neon Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
VicStar
Enthusiast
VicStar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-650
Hi there,

I use the Sony's Reader Library and initially I had issues with multiple copies of books too.

Like rebarnmom, I disabled the automatic sync feature in the "Preferences"

Now I just drag and drop my ebooks manually.

Good luck,
Vic
VicStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #6
VicStar
Enthusiast
VicStar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-650
Hi again,

BabyD helped me a while back and I just found the thread. I hope the link works

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101215