Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #1426
egoat
egoat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Being able to lock a tile on the screen could be handy. But, I tend to dismiss tiles I'm not going to use again so that the tiles that remain are more useful.
I understand that it'd work with books since they take more time to get through but a 1000 page comic finishes in a blink of a time compared to 1000 page book, so my main screen is much more dynamic, that's why I want to lock things I guess.

Otherwise I see the things I mention works for books and a person who reads books much more than me on this device might have some other issues who doesn't see why even I bother with the things I say since this device is made for books primarily.

Quote:
It has been a popular request, but Kobo don't seem to be interested. If you do want to display an image as the sleep screen, you can open the image before putting the device to sleep. It does mean you have to close the current book, but it depends on what you are after.
I think it matters for them too, a good looking picture on the device can catch an eye and drive someone to ask about it that might end up in a possible purchase for kobo.
egoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:11 AM   #1427
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by egoat View Post
I understand that it'd work with books since they take more time to get through but a 1000 page comic finishes in a blink of a time compared to 1000 page book, so my main screen is much more dynamic, that's why I want to lock things I guess.

Otherwise I see the things I mention works for books and a person who reads books much more than me on this device might have some other issues who doesn't see why even I bother with the things I say since this device is made for books primarily.
When you finish the comic, you can dismiss the tile. Then the last tile that disappeared off the screen will be redisplayed.
Quote:
I think it matters for them too, a good looking picture on the device can catch an eye and drive someone to ask about it that might end up in a possible purchase for kobo.
They are selling an ereader. Displaying a well rendered cover of a book will sell ereaders. A random picture will sell an electronic picture frame.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #1428
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by egoat View Post
My current Aura H2O reading stats show 280 books finished and 1325 hours of reading time - and I know that's low, as I've had to restore from backups a few times, which knocks the clock back.

One thing I do to keep the home screen clear is delete books from the device as soon as I'm finished with them. I've got 940 or so titles on the H2O at present, and maybe 100 are finished-but-retained. (Most of those are Heinlein, King, and Holt.) With those, I simply dismiss the "finished" tiles from the home screen when I'm done. I rarely have a tile show up in the third home screen column these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoat
No, you think it should matter to them, which is quite a different assertion than that it does. You may even be correct in that assessment, but if they've decided that they're not interested, it ain't gonna happen.

Me, I like having my current-read cover as the sleep/off screen, and I wish the Kindle would offer that as an option instead of using plain white for Off and a random wallpaper for Sleep. Mileage varies, as they say. My only quibble with the Kobo treatment is that I wish the progress display on the full-screen cover was less obtrusive; I find the white box ugly.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 02-11-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #1429
egoat
egoat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Quote:
When you finish the comic, you can dismiss the tile. Then the last tile that disappeared off the screen will be redisplayed.
I don't really bother with it that much anymore, right now my route is Library>My collections>Folder, and that's easier than dismissing a tile each time, of course being able to lock collections would be much much easier compared to 3 step navigation and then finding the book I want to read.

Quote:
They are selling an ereader. Displaying a well rendered cover of a book will sell ereaders. A random picture will sell an electronic picture frame.
You'd think, but the reason I picked this e reader over kindle is it's bigger screen and 32 gb memory which sounds unnecessarily huge on ebooks but when it comes to graphic novels it's a space you need. Which is why I picked H2O over Aura One as soon as I find it doesn't have any sd card slot. Even tho I was planning on buying Aura one for it's bigger and better looking screen with controllable orange hue. Seeing someone else using it for manga in this forum heavily influenced my decide too, since the pictures looked so great. And I'm glad I got it for that reason, way better than reading on a tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
My current Aura H2O reading stats show 280 books finished and 1325 hours of reading time - and I know that's low, as I've had to restore from backups a few times, which knocks the clock back.

One thing I do to keep the home screen clear is delete books from the device as soon as I'm finished with them. I've got 940 or so titles on the H2O at present, and maybe 100 are finished-but-retained. (Most of those are Heinlein, King, and Holt.) With those, I simply dismiss the "finished" tiles from the home screen when I'm done. I rarely have a tile show up in the third home screen column these days.
I don't want to delete the stuff I read right away and some stuff I keep reading over and over. Like I said I just navigate through library, even when there is collection tiles on the screen they change places constantly so navigating each time not that big of a deal and something I prefer if I can't lock them down on certain place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
No, you think it should matter to them, which is quite a different assertion than that it does. You may even be correct in that assessment, but if they've decided that they're not interested, it ain't gonna happen.

Me, I like having my current-read cover as the sleep/off screen, and I wish the Kindle would offer that as an option instead of using plain white for Off and a random wallpaper for Sleep. Mileage varies, as they say. My only quibble with the Kobo treatment is that I wish the progress display on the full-screen cover was less obtrusive; I find the white box ugly.
Well I hope they'd consider it, if it's out of my reach I can see why they think it's not something essential, but if anybody from kobo is reading this I believe it would be for the better. Otherwise I don't like using the bookcover sleep option, I'd rather have plain white screen that says "Sleeping".
egoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #1430
ntson
ntson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I need new firmware support Vietnamese font. Just font, i dont need GUI
All book title look like:
ph[] l[] tr[]
[]en c[]

and get back old Home Screen for me, new home screen is useless.

Last edited by ntson; 03-28-2017 at 11:24 AM.
ntson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #1431
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntson View Post
I need new firmware support Vietnamese font. Just font, i dont need GUI
All book title look like:
ph[] l[] tr[]
[]en c[]
Have you added a font that supports Vietnamese? If so, open a book and select the font. When you return to the library, this font should be used for the books.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #1432
ntson

Question

Quote:
Have you added a font that supports Vietnamese? If so, open a book and select the font. When you return to the library, this font should be used for the books.
Yes, i added font support Vietnamese.
I can read book with Vietnamese (first image in attachment)
But book title in library, TOC fonts doesn't work properly. (pls see second image in attachment).

How can I change system font, that support Unicode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	155856   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	944.3 KB
ID:	155857   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	155858   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	155859  
Old 03-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #1433
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, i added font support Vietnamese.
I can read book with Vietnamese (first image in attachment)
But book title in library, TOC fonts doesn't work properly. (pls see second image in attachment).

How can I change system font, that support Unicode.
Sorry, I don't know. The instructions I gave are what have been suggested in this situation for a while. I haven't of any recent changes to this.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #1434
ntson

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know. The instructions I gave are what have been suggested in this situation for a while. I haven't of any recent changes to this.
Sorry my English is not good.

I mean I want the Kobo firmware update that will support Vietnamese fonts, or support the display of Unicode fonts correctly.

Currently, I can only change the font to read Vietnamese language content by creating a folder called "fonts" in the Kobo root directory so that I can read the contents of the book.

While other parts, such as titles, TOC are displayed incorrectly, I can not read my earlier comments with photos attached.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #1435
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry my English is not good.

I mean I want the Kobo firmware update that will support Vietnamese fonts, or support the display of Unicode fonts correctly.

Currently, I can only change the font to read Vietnamese language content by creating a folder called "fonts" in the Kobo root directory so that I can read the contents of the book.

While other parts, such as titles, TOC are displayed incorrectly, I can not read my earlier comments with photos attached.
I understand what you want. The instructions I gave are what have been used for other languages with no support in the firmware. These are languages such as Arabic, Hebrew and Tamil. I am surprised they don't work for Vietnamese. If you point me to somewhere I can legally get the font and a book to test with, then I'll try it and see what happens.

To get better support for a language, you need to talk to Kobo directly. This forum is not a Kobo support channel and this thread is really just a wish list. Bug reports and feature requests should go to Kobo directly. But, for language support, it would be even better to find a company to approach Kobo. The last two languages added, Turkish and Mexican version of Spanish, where because a book store in those countries made a deal with Kobo for support and access to the Kobo stores.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #1436
ntson

Quote:
I understand what you want. The instructions I gave are what have been used for other languages with no support in the firmware. These are languages such as Arabic, Hebrew and Tamil. I am surprised they don't work for Vietnamese. If you point me to somewhere I can legally get the font and a book to test with, then I'll try it and see what happens.

To get better support for a language, you need to talk to Kobo directly. This forum is not a Kobo support channel and this thread is really just a wish list. Bug reports and feature requests should go to Kobo directly. But, for language support, it would be even better to find a company to approach Kobo. The last two languages added, Turkish and Mexican version of Spanish, where because a book store in those countries made a deal with Kobo for support and access to the Kobo stores.
Thank you for your reply and additional information.

Can you give me link instructions? Because I have not found your instructions yet.

I am using the latest firmware 4.3.8966 on the Kobo Glo HD.
In the attached file is a Vietnamese book. You can check it.
I often read with Bookerly font, because it supports Vietnamese, so I also attach to you can check.

As I said in the previous comment, I can read the contents of this book, but other parts, such as book titles, TOC (table of contents) do not display correctly.

Again, thank you very much.

EDITED: Remove book and fonts

Last edited by ntson; 03-29-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #1437
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for your reply and additional information.

Can you give me link instructions? Because I have not found your instructions yet.
I gave them in my first response to you. To expand them:
- Add the font necessary for the language.
- Open a book.
- Select the font in the font settings.
- Close the book and go to the library. The font selected above should be used were needed.

These are the instructions given elsewhere in the forum. I only speak and read English, so don't need them myself, but have tested them in the past and they worked. I haven't heard that things have changed recently
Quote:
I am using the latest firmware 4.3.8966 on the Kobo Glo HD.
In the attached file is a Vietnamese book. You can check it.
I often read with Bookerly font, because it supports Vietnamese, so I also attach to you can check.

As I said in the previous comment, I can read the contents of this book, but other parts, such as book titles, TOC (table of contents) do not display correctly.
OK, the ToC isn't working. I don't know if that is because the firmware has changed, it has never worked there, or something else is going on. Hopefully one of the people who do use multiple languages and fonts comes along and has an answer.

Also, you will need to remove the font from your post, and probably the book. The forum does not allow posting of any copyrighted material without permission. That is why I was careful to state "legally get" in my request.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #1438
ntson

Quote:
I gave them in my first response to you. To expand them:
- Add the font necessary for the language.
- Open a book.
- Select the font in the font settings.
- Close the book and go to the library. The font selected above should be used were needed.

These are the instructions given elsewhere in the forum. I only speak and read English, so don't need them myself, but have tested them in the past and they worked. I haven't heard that things have changed recently

OK, the ToC isn't working. I don't know if that is because the firmware has changed, it has never worked there, or something else is going on. Hopefully one of the people who do use multiple languages and fonts comes along and has an answer.

Also, you will need to remove the font from your post, and probably the book. The forum does not allow posting of any copyrighted material without permission. That is why I was careful to state "legally get" in my request.

I removed book and fonts.
So, I'll try as your instructions.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #1439
Dino84
Connoisseur
Dino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Touch screen lock!

Some setting that confines input to a small portion of the screen while in a book, so that I can rest my thumb on it and hold the device more naturally, or trace text with my finger as I read.

For those of us that dont want to bother with dictionary, markings, annotations etc. A more robust user experience.
Dino84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #1440
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino84 View Post
Touch screen lock!

Some setting that confines input to a small portion of the screen while in a book, so that I can rest my thumb on it and hold the device more naturally, or trace text with my finger as I read.

For those of us that dont want to bother with dictionary, markings, annotations etc. A more robust user experience.
Sorry, but that's something I don't think you'll ever get.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo