Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #15016
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
^^^
Such fickle fans. Let a mere 70 years go past and they abandon you like yesterday's socks.

Seriously though, all science fiction is a bit like that. Some stands up better than others, of course, I still like most of my Asimov collection, but much of my Clarke collection gathers dust, mostly it's the short stories that still seem to work. Jules Verne remains an amusing curiosity, but not what he must have been, though H.G. Wells continues to enthrall ... isn't that curious.

But I do think that with most of them, if you sit down with it in the right frame of mind, you can still capture some of the magic that was.
It's interesting which ones stand the test and which don't. Some of the Heinlein juvenilia actually do quite well (Moon, for example). Others just don't work for me any more. Foundation was one I expected to enjoy, but found was just too simplistically written to still be interesting. The Amber series is another that really hasn't worked for me this time around.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 AM   #15017
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It's interesting which ones stand the test and which don't. Some of the Heinlein juvenilia actually do quite well (Moon, for example). Others just don't work for me any more. Foundation was one I expected to enjoy, but found was just too simplistically written to still be interesting. The Amber series is another that really hasn't worked for me this time around.
I agree with you about Heinlein. Some are still very readable and some have some technology that jars me out of the story. But, I can't work out what juvenile you are referring to as "Moon". "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress" is what came to mind, but it is not a juvenile.

As to the Foundation series, I agree with you. I read them when I was young and enjoyed them. When I last reread them, the basic ideas were still interesting, but the characters are one dimensional and overall it didn't keep my attention.

The Amber series is another that I enjoyed, but could never really see what the fuss was about. Well written and all that, but it just didn't get me.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-31-2012 at 01:54 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #15018
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which was great fun in a mil-sf sort of way.

Then I started on The Collective by Kerry Downing which I bought back in 2005. I think I must have read it back then, although I have no memory of the ending. But I'm going to abandon it this time, as the characters are just not interesting or believable.

Next up: Jade Darcy and the Affair of Honor by Stephen Goldin and Mary Mason. This is a young-adult SF I think. Let's see if I like it.
Umm.. no. Not young-adult at all. But instead a really rather good SF story about a flawed hero. I liked it a lot.

Next up: Rewind by Terry England. I'm about half way through, and it's interesting, but I'm a little bit unconvinced by the politics and legal happenings. The religious reactions seem spot-on.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #15019
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I agree with you about Heinlein. Some are still very readable and some have some technology that jars me out of the story. But, I can't work out what juvenile you are referring to as "Moon". "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress" is what came to mind, but it is not a juvenile.
There's also the novella "Destination Moon" (a story written from the screenplay of his 1950 film of the same name), but that's not a juvenile either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #15020
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now, back to December's book club read - Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks.
I liked this one, but not as much as I expected to. This was my last book for 2012.

It's been a great year of reading for me. My insistence of having a classics challenge has meant reading some great works that I might not have otherwise read.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #15021
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I liked this one, but not as much as I expected to. This was my last book for 2012.

It's been a great year of reading for me. My insistence of having a classics challenge has meant reading some great works that I might not have otherwise read.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #15022
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's also the novella "Destination Moon" (a story written from the screenplay of his 1950 film of the same name), but that's not a juvenile either.
I was referring to The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. If y'all say it isn't YA, I will bow to group opinion, but somehow I always thought of it that way. Probably because I first read it when I was 12 or 13. But then I read a LOT of SF when I was about that age -- I was (and am) a voracious reader and read everything that came my way. Now I'm a bit more selective, but still read ~160 books this last year. In any case, I re-read Moon recently, and quite enjoyed it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #15023
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Rewind by Terry England. I'm about half way through, and it's interesting, but I'm a little bit unconvinced by the politics and legal happenings. The religious reactions seem spot-on.
The second half was a bit better. Overall, an enjoyable but flawed story.

I think I'll pick my next book to read when it's 2013.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #15024
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I was referring to The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. If y'all say it isn't YA, I will bow to group opinion, but somehow I always thought of it that way. Probably because I first read it when I was 12 or 13. But then I read a LOT of SF when I was about that age -- I was (and am) a voracious reader and read everything that came my way. Now I'm a bit more selective, but still read ~160 books this last year. In any case, I re-read Moon recently, and quite enjoyed it.
So for you, it was a juvenile. I found it a bit late, while I was at Uni I think. I've read it a few times and I think it still holds up.

I probably should state I am rereading "In the Ocean of the Night" by Gregory Benford. I can't decide if I will go straight on to the next in the series or find something different.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-31-2012 at 09:59 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #15025
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Right now reading Beowulf. Tricky English, especially when I just started but now I got used to it.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #15026
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Just finished The EndOf Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, a true story about a ladies journey with pancreatic cancer and the books that helped her on the journey.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #15027
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was referring to The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. If y'all say it isn't YA, I will bow to group opinion, but somehow I always thought of it that way.
The Heinlein "Juveniles" are generally regarded as being the following 12 books:
  • Rocket Ship Galileo, 1947
  • Space Cadet, 1948
  • Red Planet, 1949
  • Between Planets, 1951
  • The Rolling Stones aka Space Family Stone, 1952
  • Farmer in the Sky, 1953
  • Starman Jones, 1953
  • The Star Beast, 1954
  • Tunnel in the Sky, 1955
  • Time for the Stars, 1956
  • Citizen of the Galaxy, 1957
  • Have Space Suit—Will Travel, 1958

"Starship Troopers" (1959) is sometimes included in the list. "Podkayne of Mars" (1963) is often listed as a "juvenile" but Heinlein himself didn't consider it to be one.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-01-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #15028
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes. I have a Boxed Set collection of the paperbacks.

Many claim "Stranger..." was pretty juvenile.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #15029
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Some would say all SF...

Seriously, though, there is a kind of family-friendliness in a lot of older SF & F which means it can easily be read by younger readers even if not specifically aimed at them. That's how most of us got into it, I suspect.

I read Moon is a Harsh Mistress maybe ten years ago, and didn't think much of it at all. I still have two Heinleins to read this year to complete my Hugo list, and based on past experience I think I will enjoy Double Star and struggle with Stranger in a Strange Land.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #15030
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I read Moon is a Harsh Mistress maybe ten years ago, and didn't think much of it at all. I still have two Heinleins to read this year to complete my Hugo list, and based on past experience I think I will enjoy Double Star and struggle with Stranger in a Strange Land.
I really enjoy Heinlein's early work, but I find much of his later work (really from "Stranger in a Strange Land" onwards) to be virtually unreadable.