Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Plastic Logic Que to be sold in Barnes & Noble Stores

After I found this news, I saw that TheRealBillc had already posted it within another thread but I thought it deserved its own thread.

QUE™ proReader by Plastic Logic to be Sold in Barnes & Noble Stores

Quote:
2010 International CES

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Plastic Logic and Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS), the world’s largest bookseller, today announced that QUE™ (pronounced “Q”), the first proReader designed for business professionals, will be sold through Barnes & Noble’s nationwide network of stores and online at Barnes & Noble.com (http://www.bn.com).

The distribution agreement marks an expansion of the relationship between the two companies. Earlier this year, Plastic Logic and Barnes & Noble announced a strategic partnership through which Barnes & Noble will power the online store for QUE, which is coming in 2010 (information can be found at http://www.QUEreader.com). QUE will also be featured near the recently announced nook™, the Barnes & Noble eBook reader, on free-standing displays with signage offering Barnes & Noble customers choice based on their reading needs.

Scheduled to premiere January 7, 2010 at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas (Central Hall of Las Vegas Convention Center, Booth 11840), QUE is the first eReader designed to support the lifestyle of modern business professionals. More than an eReader, QUE means business.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is a mismatch between "proReader for business professionals" and selling in B&N stores. To me, "business" implies higher prices, for capabilities beyond ebook reading, and the many B&N stores implies dedicated e-book reader (perhaps for students).

So I think Plastic Logic is going for a reasonably high volume production line and relatively low prices. In contrast to the iRex DR1000S with low volume and high prices ($859). My guess is that this will be $500-550.

Don't forget that the Entourage Edge will be $490 for a 9.7" Eink screen and a 10.1" LCD screen. Prices for large-screen readers are likely coming down after Christmas.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Y'know, I can't tell if this is a smart move or not.

On one hand it's good in that it gets the competitor to the Kindle DX right in the store. However it also could confuse the heck out of the consumer, who has to mentally navigate the difference between the B&N branded device and the PL branded one.

The thing I don't get is, why bring PL into the store? It almost seems like B&N could've beaten PL to market with their own large-screen reader....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Y'know, I can't tell if this is a smart move or not.
I'm not sure either but I'm glad it is happening. This will give me a chance to check out the Que, nook, and the Sony Daily Edition before deciding which to buy to replace my Sony 505 (which my wife wants). There are things I really like about the nook, but it really peeves me that my member discount and my B&N gift cards are useless for either buying the nook or buying an ebook. Had they not been worthless, I probably would have preordered the nook because I like buying my pbooks at B&N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
The thing I don't get is, why bring PL into the store? It almost seems like B&N could've beaten PL to market with their own large-screen reader....
I suspect -- but obviously do not know -- that this is a way for B&N to shore up another market against Amazon. Many business execs who buy books probably think Amazon first. By giving them a reason to come into a B&N store (to check out the Que) and to help Plastic Logic sell the Que to the business market, B&N is attempting to increase its share of business exec book buyers.

Also, it is not just the size of the Que, it is the features of the Que. Que doesn't appear to be primarily aimed at ebook reading like the nook. It really is a business laptop in another guise. This could well benefit both parties. I personally think iRex, which has the between-size screen at 8.1 inches, would also make a good partner for B&N in its competition with Amazon.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Also, it is not just the size of the Que, it is the features of the Que. Que doesn't appear to be primarily aimed at ebook reading like the nook. It really is a business laptop in another guise.
That would be the major problem for PL, IMHO. "Business laptop" is wintel machine.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is a mismatch between "proReader for business professionals" and selling in B&N stores. To me, "business" implies higher prices, for capabilities beyond ebook reading, and the many B&N stores implies dedicated e-book reader (perhaps for students).
Well I see 2 reasons for doing so.

1. It will also be great for newspapers and magazines, which small screen e-ink only devices frankly suck at. Comic books too I suppose. So they can hype that angle.

2. It gives a place to check out the device in person, so I can see why Plastic Logic wants it in store. Though if they wanted to focus on the business crowd somewhere like Staples or Office Max would make more sense.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
That would be the major problem for PL, IMHO. "Business laptop" is wintel machine.
I hope it's not the case.

Laptops/PCs are pretty useless to me in terms of reading and marking up academic books, scholarly journal articles etc. I just print them out (or buy the paper book) and highlight and scribble notes until my hearts content.

So I really want a large touch/stylus screen reader/tablet to replace paper for that purpose. Laptop/PC will remain for everything else--data analysis, writing papers etc. etc.

The device could add in internet, e-mail, PDA etc. as that would be handy in a device that should be thinner and lighter than a laptop. I seldom take my laptop anywhere other than multi-day trips as it's a pain to lug around.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Though if they wanted to focus on the business crowd somewhere like Staples or Office Max would make more sense.
No where in the press release did I see “exclusive distributer”. I fully expect it to show up in other channels.

From Plastic Logic (PL) point of view they want to sell as may as possible which means more distribution channels. It makes since that as the Barnes & Noble (B&N) is the book store associated that they are the first distribution channel signed. From B&N point of view, while it would be nice to get the margin from selling the PL device, it is much better to get revenue from the selling of e-books vs. no revenue.

This is the same model as the IREX deal but in reverse. Initial distribution is via Best Buy (BB). I would not be surprised to see B&N begin to distribute the IREX starting in 1Q10. I think it will be after the holidays because IREX is going to be hard pressed just to supply BB and B&N wants to sell the Nook and is going to be focused on it initially, selling and supporting, as it carries their label.

This is just my opinion
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard

Fair point for sure. It definitely makes the most sense to get any hardware in as many stores as possible for exposure and marketing purposes.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Ankh,
I'm hoping it doesn't come in as a full "Business laptop" because I think there is definitely a niche market for business professionals using a device that is read-only or read/markup-only on an e-ink device.

I have 50-120 pages a day of material that I have to skim, identify the 30 pages that I must study, and read (and usually re-read) those 30 pages. Right now, I'm doing that on a computer monitor or if its particularly painful and I think I'll have to reference it often in the future, I'll print a hard copy.

I would love to read this content on a Que and from a business perspective, it only has to reduce my reading burden a few minutes a day to pay for itself.

As with all new and unknown products, there is much potential and we'll just have to see how they implement their solution.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Ankh,
I'm hoping it doesn't come in as a full "Business laptop" because I think there is definitely a niche market for business professionals using a device that is read-only or read/markup-only on an e-ink device.
I beg to disagree. That's not a niche market. Who wouldn't find a use for the device like that?

You just described the successor to laptop. We will end up, eventually, with a bendable, likely film-thin device with wi-fi (or equivalent), colour screen, stylus, touch-screen, running the same set of apps found on (powerful) workstations reserved for our stationary work table...

PC, mobility, the next generation. Paperless office.

That's a huge market.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
I beg to disagree. That's not a niche market. Who wouldn't find a use for the device like that?

You just described the successor to laptop. We will end up, eventually, with a bendable, likely film-thin device with wi-fi (or equivalent), colour screen, stylus, touch-screen, running the same set of apps found on (powerful) workstations reserved for our stationary work table...

That's a huge market.

Hard to be a true successor to a laptop as even great hand writing recognition isn't going to replace a keyboard for typing--especially for those of us that do a lot of writing. Even outside of work, e-mail and some web stuff (like this forum) would suck with a tablet with just handwriting recognition or a virtual keyboard).

So really I see myself always needing my office desktop that is my primary work machine for both research and teaching prep--statistical analyses, writing articles, lectures exams etc. My laptop which allows me to do all the same work at home so I don't have to come in every day or on weekends.

And some tablet device to replace reading and annotating which I currently still do with paper books and printouts as PCs and Laptops suck for that IMO.

Maybe a tablet device can replace the laptop if it can be put on a docking stand (or plan stand) and use wireless keyboards and mice.....but that's still clunkier to lug around than a laptop for those of us that do a lot of writing.

What I really want some thing tablet to do is replace paper for my work reading and annotating, ideally replace my Palm Pilot with PDA functions. And have e-mail and internet so I can access them for quick checks when I'm not near my PC or Laptop but have the tablet at hand.

That said, I do think there is a huge market for tablet devices in the business and academic settings--and for anyone who needs a large screen device with good annotation ability.

I just don't see it as a successor to the laptop or PC. Just a complementary device that will replace paper in the professional/academic setting.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 10-28-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
Ankh
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Hard to be a true successor to a laptop as even great hand writing recognition isn't going to replace a keyboard for typing--especially for those of us that do a lot of writing. Even outside of work, e-mail and some web stuff (like this forum) would suck with a tablet with just handwriting recognition or a virtual keyboard).

So really I see myself always needing my office desktop that is my primary work machine for both research and teaching prep--statistical analyses, writing articles, lectures exams etc. My laptop which allows me to do all the same work at home so I don't have to come in every day or on weekends.
Can't argue with that logic at this moment of time, except for the keyboard. Micro-USB ports are functionally equivalent to what we have on our desktops/laptops. External (full size or foldable) keyboard is an option.

However, I have to point out the rapid advancements of the hardware. It has been a long time since I found myself... saturated when it comes to the home desktop hardware. Yeah, 1080p monitor is nice, but if it wasn't for the death of my old monitor... The same goes for my dual core processor, if it dies, dirt-cheap quad core is what I will buy. The software, the Linux apps that I use... I feel no thirst for hardware upgrades. Those (still) hypothetical tablets of the future can easily catch up with my home needs.

The desktop at work WILL NOT go away and will be as powerful as I can squeeze from my IT. The tablet provides limited mobility within the workplace (lab and meetings), eliminates a bunch (but not all) printouts and provides a convenience to take the work home. Heck, I will pay for that oversized PDA if I have to.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, I already don't have a personal computer anymore. Just my office desktop and work laptop.

I just need something easy to write, run stats programs, clean data, make PowerPoints etc. And I have a hard time seeing a tablet being as good as a laptop for that. Just like laptops suck for trying to replace paper for reading stuff that needs highlighted, annotated, studied etc.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:

That's a huge market.
Anhk,

I agree it could be a huge market, but I think cost will keep it depressed for a few years until it reaches the 'common technology' stage and isn't just high-end because the components to make it are fabricated in small 100,000 lot runs.

My dream would be to have that device tied to something like the Apple Wireless keyboard. Use the keyboard if you want, mark-up with sylus if you want, or just read.

[Sigh] How can we be so impatient for technologies to mature when you consider the rate of change our grand-parents lived with?
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote