Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Question on the output format list order when converting

I often convert ebooks to RTF so I can reformat them for easier reading for my eyes. However the listed order of Output formats seems to be fixed (starting with EPUB, MOBI, AZW3, ...) and RTF is way down in the list so I have to scroll down past the formats I don't use to get to RTF. Is there a way the user can change the order of these output formats? If not could this be incorporated in a future version?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I often convert ebooks to RTF so I can reformat them for easier reading for my eyes. However the listed order of Output formats seems to be fixed (starting with EPUB, MOBI, AZW3, ...) and RTF is way down in the list so I have to scroll down past the formats I don't use to get to RTF. Is there a way the user can change the order of these output formats? If not could this be incorporated in a future version?
Preferences: Behavior:
Remove/add ticks
Change order (use green arrows)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Is there a way the user can change the order of these output formats?
Not to my knowledge - Tab to the Output format field and tap 'r' twice on your keyboard.

Also, Calibre now supports DOCX as an Input format, if you use Word 2007/10/13 and you currently retain the RTF's, then you might want to consider retaining a DOCX file and throwing the RTF away. My experience is that a DOCX can be up to 90% (yes ninety percent) smaller than the equivalent RTF, and the resultant EPUB after conversion from DOCX is 'technically' better, it may also be aesthetically better, I don't have too many complex documents.

@theducks see attachment, I believe the list with the ticks is what formats use the calibres reader program, and the green arrows belong to the preferred input order. AFAIK - the list under the Preferred Output Format is fixed in content and order.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	107490  

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-29-2013 at 07:48 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Not to my knowledge - Tab to the Output format field and tap 'r' twice on your keyboard.

Also, Calibre now supports DOCX as an Input format, if you use Word 2007/10/13 and you currently retain the RTF's, then you might want to consider retaining a DOCX file and throwing the RTF away. My experience is that a DOCX can be up to 90% (yes ninety percent) smaller than the equivalent RTF, and the resultant EPUB after conversion from DOCX is 'technically' better, it may also be aesthetically better, I don't have too many complex documents.

@theducks see attachment, I believe the list with the ticks is what formats use the calibres reader program, and the green arrows belong to the preferred input order. AFAIK - the list under the Preferred Output Format is fixed in content and order.

BR
BR Output order is done in the Device OUTPUT Driver (you will see a list similar to the Left)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Device Driver.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	107491  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BR Output order is done in the Device OUTPUT Driver (you will see a list similar to the Left)
I don't see anything that will show the Device Output driver from Pref->Behaviour, nor can I see that dialogue anywhere else. Probably because I don't use Calibre to transfer files to and from my ebook readers - Mint Netbook and Windows RT.

BR
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I don't see anything that will show the Device Output driver from Pref->Behaviour, nor can I see that dialogue anywhere else. Probably because I don't use Calibre to transfer files to and from my ebook readers - Mint Netbook and Windows RT.

BR
I did not say: Preferences: Behavior did I
Each OUTPUT device driver has its own (customizable) order. I show the 'Folder Device'
Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
You did say that the output formats for conversion (which is what this thread is about) could be altered via Preferences - Behavior in post two as a direct answer to the OPs question. BR simply replied to what you said initially.

Quote:
Each OUTPUT device driver has its own (customizable) order. I show the 'Folder Device'
But changing this order does not change the drop down list in the conversion options which is what the OP inquired about.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You might be better converting to ePub and using Sigil to make then readable to your eyes. That way, you'll have a good source in case you ever get an ePub capable Reader or need a good source to convert from.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Yes "Behavior" is what you said
Quote:
Preferences: Behavior:
Remove/add ticks
Change order (use green arrows)
I don't 'connect' Calibre to anything - I just use Save to Disk to copy stuff to my 'devices'

If I connect to a folder and promote 'rtf' to the top of the list it does not change the order of the drop down list presented in the Conversion Output Format drop down, see attachment.

And that's my interpretation of what the OP is looking for - control over that list and AFAIK the order of that list is fixed.

But the solution is very simple - tap the 'r' twice

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	107492  

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-29-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Sorry, I get sometimes get crossed up in which threads I am working with

Quote:

But the solution is very simple - tap the 'r' twice

BR
That works. I use the First letter speed select a lot.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Hmm, maybe the OP could use the "Preferred output format" option on the behaviour page of preferences. That sort of sounds like what is wanted. And it seems to work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Hmm, maybe the OP could use the "Preferred output format" option on the behaviour page of preferences. That sort of sounds like what is wanted. And it seems to work.
If he converts to RTF frequently this is most likely the best option.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The OP converts to RTF (probably from an ebook format) for the purpose of reformatting to make the text easier to read. It's London to Brick On that after reformatting the RTF the OP converts it back to an ebook format - i.e. its a round trip conversion. If the OP changes Preferred output format to RTF then it'll be wrong on the return leg.

Just tap the 'r' key twice (once for RB and twice for RTF) - once you've done it a few times you soon realise it's a darn sight easier than wheeling a mouse around the park, clicking buttons thereon etc - and its a heck of lot quicker.

And on the return leg, tap 'r' once in the Input format, assuming the book doesn't have an RB format file - or 'd' if you take the DOCX route home.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-30-2013 at 04:47 AM.