Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #21661
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
Wow! Good for you! I have heard horror stories about how hard it is to quit smoking, and seen multiple friends try and fail. I admire your perseverance!
Thanks, but I didn't quit. I'm a cigarette smoker who hasn't smoked in 14 years and five months. One day at a time.

Quote:
Alas, my bizarre propensity for bronchitis cannot be explained by smoking, as I have never done so. I have joked in the past that my decade of teaching was the equivalent of being involved in biological warfare; I am now beginning to wonder if that may be closer to the truth than I want to admit.
I believe it! I never had so many illnesses as when I was teaching, and since retiring from the podium, have been healthy as a horse! Well... as an old horse...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #21662
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
Just once, I would like to catch a cold or virus and not have it turn into a bout of bronchitis. When your doctor lets you call in for "the usual prescriptions" because the diagnosis is old hat, it's gone beyond amusing and well into ridiculous. *uses inhaler* I feel like that wheezing kid on "Malcolm in the Middle." Seriously, lungs, get a grip.

I feel better already, having ranted. ^_^
Feel better. I just got over walking pneumonia so I know how badly it sucks.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #21663
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Annoyed at the results of Ms. Universe
I know, it has to be rigged. Those bloody women from Earth win every year.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #21664
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post

Stitchawl
Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #21665
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
*high five* Now that's the kind of medicine I needed! (And thank you, ProfCrash!)
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #21666
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Skibble and Betty - I hope you feel better soon..

Groan.. Why is it that every year I think I have everything under control and taken care of then I realize that I still have a long list of things to be done? I hate having to go out to stores at this time of year.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #21667
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My COSTCO run was surprisingly easy. Expensive but easy. Hopefully we have everything we need, or most of everything that we need.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #21668
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I had that same problem for years! Every single year for almost 30 years, when I'd catch a cold, it turned into bronchitis. Then I stopped smoking. Haven't had bronchitis since... 14 years, 5 months today!

Stitchawl
ditto here on the chronic bronchitis until I quit. I also had very dark rings under my eyes, I kind of think I may have been allergic. and I have QUIT! rarely have an urge to smoke, even when smoking other substances... (hey! I DO live in WA state!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #21669
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
. and I have QUIT! rarely have an urge to smoke,
If I were to tell myself that I actually have successfully 'quit,' I'd be too tempted to try to 'smoke just one' at a party or perhaps at a bar. So I'm still working on it. I too only get the 'thought' to smoke one (not even an urge, just a thought) about once every 3-4 months.

Stitchawl
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #21670
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I smoked one the night of my uncle's wake, one or two during my dad's final illness, but really had no urges to do so at the time, it was almos a self defence mechanism
Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #21671
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I smoked one the night of my uncle's wake, one or two during my dad's final illness, but really had no urges to do so at the time, it was almos a self defence mechanism
I smoked that 'just one' too many times and busted too many 'quits' to allow myself to think I really want just one... I must have tried to quit a dozen or more times, often for months, and once even for two years... and then smoked 'just one.' Was back to a pack and a half a day within a few weeks. This is the first time I've been able to get away from it. But I have to do it one day at a time. Like the sober alcoholic who hasn't taken a drink in 25 years. He knows he's still an alcoholic and won't drink today, and prays he won't drink tomorrow. Me too. I didn't smoke yesterday. I won't smoke today. And I pray I won't smoke tomorrow. One day at a time. ODAT!

Stitchawl
Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #21672
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I guess I am very lucky. I was quite close the afternoon after I blew my knee out on the slopes. when I was picked up at the e.r., there was a pack of smokes on the console, my hand hovered, and when I didn't succumb to THAT one, I think I knew I had won. it has been over five years now! ;o)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #21673
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I guess I am very lucky. I was quite close the afternoon after I blew my knee out on the slopes. when I was picked up at the e.r., there was a pack of smokes on the console, my hand hovered, and when I didn't succumb to THAT one, I think I knew I had won. it has been over five years now! ;o)

Fourteen years, four months, one day, 3 hours, 17 minutes.
157114 cigarettes not smoked, saving $47,134.23.
Time used for better things: 1 year, 25 weeks, 6 days, 12 hours, 50 minutes.

(The 'time used' part estimates five minutes spent smoking a cigarette)
This is a free aplet that served as a very nice visual 'biofeedback' reward in the first few years of my stopping. I don't look at it very often these days, but it's there if I need it. I LOVE seeing how much money I've been able to use for better things!

Stitchawl
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #21674
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Fourteen years, four months, one day, 3 hours, 17 minutes.
157114 cigarettes not smoked, saving $47,134.23.
Time used for better things: 1 year, 25 weeks, 6 days, 12 hours, 50 minutes.

(The 'time used' part estimates five minutes spent smoking a cigarette)
This is a free aplet that served as a very nice visual 'biofeedback' reward in the first few years of my stopping. I don't look at it very often these days, but it's there if I need it. I LOVE seeing how much money I've been able to use for better things!

Stitchawl
You forgot to mention the savings in health care costs your realized during those fourteen years!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #21675
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
You forgot to mention the savings in health care costs your realized during those fourteen years!
Very true! And not only health care. Cleaning bills to get the smells out of my clothes, replacement of clothing and furniture that finally had just too many little cigarette burns, but most importantly, girls who wouldn't kiss me because I smelled like an ash tray!

Stitchawl

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness