Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #61
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm 2/3rd through it I have mixed feelings, but still liking it. The story is killer. His characterizations are awesome. I am enjoying the ebb and flow of the pace.

But what the holy heck is up with the insanely long stretches of info-dump, where he tells us the story without using action or dialog?! I would not forgive this if the story itself wasn't so good. I am puzzled because he writes action and dialog scenes just fine. I'm not talking about diary passages or newspaper clippings. Those are fine. But he goes into "this happened and then that happened" author-to-reader mode too often.

It also bothers me that he develops some minor characters so thoroughly but I forgive this because his skill at characterization really works with the protagonists.

Aside from the issues noted, I do enjoy his writing style. It does not distract from the story. I would make one change if I were editing this tale. For whatever reason, he decided to have his colonists use "flyers!" as an exclamation where we might say sh*t or damn. That pulls me out of the story every time, breaks the mood for me.

Unless he completely flubs the last 1/3rd of the book I'm hooked and will continue the series. A coworker is 100% two-thumbs-up and waiting impatiently for the 2nd book, due in a few days now?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #62
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
A coworker is 100% two-thumbs-up and waiting impatiently for the 2nd book, due in a few days now?
Yep on the 16th
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #63
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
The Twelve pricing kinda sucks tho. amazon kindle $21.22 and hard cover less at $16.80

That is very unfair.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #64
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I really enjoyed it - listened to it as an audiobook, and it went on forever! Must have taken me about 6 weeks of car journeys to get through, but I enjoyed every minute. Looking forward to volume 2.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #65
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
The Twelve pricing kinda sucks tho. amazon kindle $21.22 and hard cover less at $16.80

That is very unfair.

applesauce
What country are you in? In the US, the ebook is $13.99 at all retailers. Still too much for an ebook, but much better than $21.

Of course, if you belong to a library that lends ebooks, you could probably wait for them to get it. My library got The Passage (that's how I started reading it, then bought the paperback to finish), so I'm expecting them to get the second book too.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #66
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yippee-ki-yay !! The Twelve is up on Audible and it's again narrated by my absolute favourite Scott Brick Downloading part 1 as I type
Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #67
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Darn, I wasn't thinking about The Twelve on Audible and I spent my monthly credit on Cabell's Jurgen last night.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #68
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
For those Audible members who don't have "The Passage" in their library and don't have a credit to spare, it's on sale for $7.49. That's 36 hours and 52 minutes of unabridged creepy goodness for only $7.49!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #69
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
That price is good when you buy the kindle edition also.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #70
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm still rereading The Passage (just over 60% through) and I still stand by my opinion from two years ago that the middle bit is a bit slow (not necessarily bad, but I like an evenly paced book). Despite that I can't wait to start reading The Twelve.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:39 AM   #71
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Yippee-ki-yay !! The Twelve is up on Audible and it's again narrated by my absolute favourite Scott Brick Downloading part 1 as I type
I listened to The Passage as an audiobook (really enjoyed it), but can't decide whether to do the same for The Twelve, or go for the Kindle edition. Mainly because I don't get that much chance to listen, as I'm not travelling that much these days and that is when I do my listening. The Passage took ages to get through, and I can imagine The Twelve would take me even longer. Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #72
melmac
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I listened to The Passage as an audiobook (really enjoyed it), but can't decide whether to do the same for The Twelve, or go for the Kindle edition. Mainly because I don't get that much chance to listen, as I'm not travelling that much these days and that is when I do my listening. The Passage took ages to get through, and I can imagine The Twelve would take me even longer. Decisions, decisions.
Actually The Twelve is 10hrs shorter than the The Passage
Passage - 36 hrs 52mins
Twelve - 26 hrs 26 mins
Old 10-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #73
melmac
Wizard

Quote:
Actually The Twelve is 10hrs shorter than the The Passage
Passage - 36 hrs 52mins
Twelve - 26 hrs 26 mins
I listen when some when travelling in the car but my trips aren't that long so the bulk of my listening gets down when I'm out walking/exercising
Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #74
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I listen when some when travelling in the car but my trips aren't that long so the bulk of my listening gets down when I'm out walking/exercising
That ten hours would help, for sure . My next Audible credit doesn't arrive until the 5th of next month though...can I wait that long?

I do listen when I'm mowing the lawn/gardening/doing chores, but as winter approaches even that opportunity is reducing. I find I can't just sit and listen - I need to be doing something or my attention wanders and I get distracted and miss big chunks of the story.

EDIT: Just checked, and The Twelve isn't available on Audible UK yet anyway...

Last edited by orlok; 10-17-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #75
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I really enjoyed it - listened to it as an audiobook, and it went on forever! Must have taken me about 6 weeks of car journeys to get through, but I enjoyed every minute. Looking forward to volume 2.
Me too. The audiobook was great and the voice characterizations were also quite well done. Happily I only discovered this title a few months ago - and now the sequel is available at Audible. I'm in for the wait with everybody else for volume three though
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote