Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-18-2023, 04:55 PM   #35656
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
There's been talk about getting it covered by health insurance for years. When, in eight years time, I'm eligible for the vaccine I'll get it, no matter the cost
In Australia the Zostervax vaccine is available under the Medicare PBS scheme at no cost, but it must be administered by a GP. Shingrix is available under the scheme for the immunocomprised, otherwise it must be purchased ~$AU500 for two doses.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:15 PM   #35657
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
In Australia the Zostervax vaccine is available under the Medicare PBS scheme at no cost, but it must be administered by a GP. Shingrix is available under the scheme for the immunocomprised, otherwise it must be purchased ~$AU500 for two doses.

BR
Honest to God, if you don't have the dough now and you're in your 50's, start saving up for it. It's worth every penny. JMHO, of course, but...man, you do NOT want this. The gamble is too great.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2023, 11:15 PM   #35658
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm also pretty sure that older people who may have already had the older shingles vaccine are being advised to get the newer, better one. I know my father was.
Yup. I had the older shingles vaccine, and still got the Shingrix pair of doses asap.

Hitch, my brother had shingles and still got the Shingrix vaccines. So his doctor thought it was still worthwhile. Double, triple check whether the new vaccine won’t still give you some benefit?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:31 PM   #35659
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
The Zostervax is a pretty poor vaccine, and almost useless once you're past about 65. Even so I was going to get it, until the Shingrix became available, at which point I didn't hesitate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Honest to God, if you don't have the dough now and you're in your 50's, start saving up for it. It's worth every penny. JMHO, of course, but...man, you do NOT want this. The gamble is too great.
Hitch
What she said!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yup. I had the older shingles vaccine, and still got the Shingrix pair of doses asap.

Hitch, my brother had shingles and still got the Shingrix vaccines. So his doctor thought it was still worthwhile. Double, triple check whether the new vaccine won’t still give you some benefit?
Agreed. And this is from the CDC (USA's Center for Disease Control):
Quote:
If you’re 50 or older, get Shingrix
Shingrix provides strong protection from shingles and long-term nerve pain.
Get Shingrix even if you already had shingles, because you can get the disease more than once.
Your risk of shingles and complications increases as you age.
You need 2 doses of Shingrix. Get the second dose 2 to 6 months after you get the first dose.
(emphasis mine!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:07 AM   #35660
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The Zostervax is a pretty poor vaccine, and almost useless once you're past about 65. Even so I was going to get it, until the Shingrix became available, at which point I didn't hesitate.

What she said!!!!

Agreed. And this is from the CDC (USA's Center for Disease Control):
(emphasis mine!)
I will absolutely check. In viewing my "factors," the doctor said that mine was most likely triggered by stress, and due to some problems I've had with my website and contact form, etc. over the last two MONTHS, (don't ask), I don't doubt that's right. I am in a fairly stressful situation anyway (trust me, folks, if you own a small biz, keep it really small--preferably only yourself--when I was just a consultant, only responsible for my own well-being, it was infinitely less stressful than being responsible for 14 people and their families!) in an ongoing way, but November, December and January, until last Friday, have been uniquely so. Given that, it was hard to argue with her.

And unfortunately, stress-triggered "victims" are in groups that are most likely to reoccur, apparently. So I will ask about the vaccine. I'll pay it if she says it's a good idea. (Most people only have one bad episode in their lives, apparently. But not some lucky winners, especially those who have had severe onsets and continue to have stress. Lucky me! How anybody figures that someone gets severe Shingles would NOT be massively stressed, effed if I know.)

Hitch
Advert
Old 01-19-2023, 02:32 AM   #35661
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Nah, apparently, once you're infected, it's too damn late. I was an idiot. People, ask your doc to be sure, but don't be stupid like I was.
"Shingrix is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for adults age 50 and older for the prevention of shingles and related complications, whether they've already had shingles or not."
--- https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20057859

So it looks like it's not too late to get the vaccine to (probably) prevent a reoccurrence.

And thanks for your post - in the UK the NHS offer shingles vaccination when you're 70, but since I have some time to go until then, I'm looking into getting it privately.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:30 AM   #35662
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
"Shingrix is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for adults age 50 and older for the prevention of shingles and related complications, whether they've already had shingles or not."
--- https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20057859

So it looks like it's not too late to get the vaccine to (probably) prevent a reoccurrence.

And thanks for your post - in the UK the NHS offer shingles vaccination when you're 70, but since I have some time to go until then, I'm looking into getting it privately.
You are most welcome, Paul. As I said, I am loath, 99.99% of the time to ever really discuss the details of my personal life, health, etc., other than small anecdotes and the like, but in this instance, I felt compelled. I would hate to see you or any of my MR acquaintances suffer with this, as severe as mine is, for no damned good reason other than being as dumb as I was.

Hitch
Old 01-19-2023, 05:31 AM   #35663
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Checking Spain situation , I see they have began to recommend it for people 65 years old, and I guess that it will advance to older people (reading recommendations, I see it), but it will take time.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:33 AM   #35664
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I think my province began covering it a few years ago. Alas, only for those of a certain age.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:21 AM   #35665
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
You absolutely can get Shingles again. As a child, my brother had chicken pox and then Shingles. He had a reoccurance of Shingles just a few years ago, nearly 50 years later. Thankfully mild.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:45 AM   #35666
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
You absolutely can get Shingles again. As a child, my brother had chicken pox and then Shingles. He had a reoccurance of Shingles just a few years ago, nearly 50 years later. Thankfully mild.
Oh,yes, I know you can. I know someone that's also had it twice and it reoccurred with my Gran, too. And I magically get everything, absolutely everything, that she got. It's uncanny.

My operating assumption is that I will absolutely get it again. I'm not willing to wishful-think otherwise, at this point. The bloody things (ha) have started to blister--I must have had this longer than I knew--and OMG.

Hitch
Old 01-19-2023, 08:18 AM   #35667
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

My operating assumption is that I will absolutely get it again. I'm not willing to wishful-think otherwise, at this point. The bloody things (ha) have started to blister--I must have had this longer than I knew--and OMG.

Hitch
Do you plan on getting the Shingrix shots?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:30 AM   #35668
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Do you plan on getting the Shingrix shots?
If indeed I do learn officially that the Shingrix shots will help me from recurrence, (which I agree seems to be the case) you effing betcha. I never, never, never want to experience this again and I'm not willing to bet, again, that a) I'll never reoccur, or b) that some reoccurrence would be weaker, less awful than what I have right now. I rolled the dice once--which was mind-boggling stupid--and I'm not going to do it again.

Honestly? I don't care if the bloody things are a thou apiece, at this point. My ambulance ride is probably going to cost me that and only god knows what all the hospital ER tests will run me post-insurance.

Hitch
Old 01-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #35669
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I never thought my insurance was the greatest, but it does cover pretty much any and all immunizations. I hit it pretty hard last year: Tetanus, multiple covid, flu, shingles, and hep b -- all covered. My sister's insurance didn't cover Shingrix so she paid $300+ for each of the two doses. Happily paid, I might add.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:26 AM   #35670
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I had shingles the first time when I was 46. The pain was so excruciating that not even morphine touched it. I had nerve pain for several years after, the worst in the first year. Then I got it a second time a few years ago, not quite so bad. Hydrocodone provided relief. I paid $200 for each Shingrex shot and consider it a bargain.

My brother had shingles at age five.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness