Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
vurt
Enthusiast
vurt began at the beginning.

Device: KV
SFTP: asking for password despite login without password

I turned on SSH server in KOReader and want to FTP into my KV.

Transmit is asking for password even though I'd set login without password.

In Terminal, I can ssh in without password but these directories are different from what I see via USB.

Code:
 ~ % ssh -p 2222 root@192.168.1.179
root@192.168.1.179's password: 
[root@kindle root]# ls -a
.             ..            .ash_history  .local
[root@kindle root]# cd .local
[root@kindle .local]# ls -a
.      ..     share
[root@kindle .local]# cd share
[root@kindle share]# ls -a
.       ..      webkit
[root@kindle share]# cd webkit
[root@kindle webkit]# ls -a
.             ..            icondatabase
[root@kindle webkit]#
EDIT:
I used username "root" and password "root" to login with SFTP, but I thought we didn't need a password.

Last edited by vurt; 02-06-2023 at 10:52 AM.
vurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:11 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Most people submit an empty password. But in reality anything goes.

I believe whatever the Kindle exposes over USB would be found somewhere under /mnt/us.

Last edited by Frenzie; 02-06-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:23 PM   #3
vurt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Most people submit an empty password. But in reality anything goes.
Maybe I'm not getting how to do this correctly? How do I submit an empty password?

In the username field, I had "root" and the password field was empty.

When Transmit made the connection, I'm getting a popup asking for password.

Anyways I managed to ftp in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 02-06-2023, 01:30 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Unless you setup a shared key pair, the daemon will *always* ask for a password. What the "no password check" patch does is simply allow *anything* (even nothing, i.e., just hit enter at the password prompt) to go through as valid.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:35 PM   #5
vurt
Enthusiast

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Maybe it's just Transmit then, it won't accept an empty field but the "anything goes" option @Frenzie mentioned works.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:38 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quite likely, yeah .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote