Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #1
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
is this normal in a new kindle?

I bought a kindle to use with kindle unlimited, and I notice that every few minutes the image flashes. I changed the refresh to every page, thinking it would be something related to refreshing, but it still flashes. It happens when the page is static not when I’m turning the page, so it is very noticeable.

It is my first kindle so I'm not sure if this is normal, I would think not, has I had other ereaders and none of them does this, usually the flash I see is the refreshing of the page which occurs only when the page turns.

is this normal?

thanks in advance!
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You probably have the clock turned on. Turn it off and the issue will go away.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #3
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do have the clock turned on since I tend to forget the time when reading and this helps so I don't get late to work. I will turn it off and report back. Thank's
Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
If you really want to leave the clock on, I've found that I'm starting to get used to it.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
I bought a kindle to use with kindle unlimited, and I notice that every few minutes the image flashes. I changed the refresh to every page, thinking it would be something related to refreshing, but it still flashes. It happens when the page is static not when I’m turning the page, so it is very noticeable.
Above Bold emphasis is mine. I don't think what you're seeing is normal-even with the clock on. What I see on my Voyage and others here have reported with their Kindles since the clock was added is that once in a while the screen will flash quickly three times when turning a page. I have never seen a flash when the page is static. I'm sure when the time changes on the clock there must be some sort of screen refresh at the top of the screen, so maybe this is what you are noticing. It's not been distracting enough for me to see it on my Kindle, though.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OP's said he'll tell us whether or not turning off the clock sorts out the problem, so let's wait and see.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
tempest@de
Fanatic

Reporting back, I turned the clock off and the flash no longer happened.

Altough I would like to have the clock I prefer to not have the flashes, just have to tap the screen in order to see the time. I always have the clock with my other ereaders and nothing like this happens. On the positive ?I’m relieved that it’s not a problem with the device.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for letting us know - I was pretty sure that turning off the clock would fix the problem.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've noticed on mine that it seems to happen within a second of changing the page, but not during changing the page. I'm hoping that a future firmware update will fix the timing of the refresh.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I had the same observation as Shad Plante. The double flash was quite noticeable but didn't concern me much. I turned off the time and haven't seen it since.

Thanks. Of course, my over-developed tapping finger with get stronger checking the time but I'll survive.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks for letting us know - I was pretty sure that turning off the clock would fix the problem.
Unless I'm just not seeing it, I can't replicate this issue on my 8th Generation Kindle Basic. Is this only a problem with devices that have the front light?

I kind of like having the clock available, but would rather have the option to have it display on the bottom.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #12
tempest@de
Fanatic

Mine doesn't have light, it's the cheapest basic kindle available on amazon spain right now, bought last week.

And speaking of light I didn't think I would notice much difference between the kindle and the kobo glo, but I do miss the light when I read in bed. Even with the room light on I find the screen to dark, I had to put back a lamp in the headboard.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #13
Shad Plante
Groupie

One thing you can do to keep it from flashing when the clock changes is to change the setting under Reading Options -> Page Refresh to on. That way it will refresh the screen with every page turn so that the clock won't trigger a page refresh. You get more refreshes when you turn pages, but just when you turn pages is what I've been finding so far.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Mine doesn't have light, it's the cheapest basic kindle available on amazon spain right now, bought last week.

And speaking of light I didn't think I would notice much difference between the kindle and the kobo glo, but I do miss the light when I read in bed. Even with the room light on I find the screen to dark, I had to put back a lamp in the headboard.
I have a little battery operated flexible light that clips on to my ancient Sony eReaders, If I recall, I bought it fairly cheaply at a local department store. You might find something like that preferable to turning on a room light, especially if you have a sleeping partner who has to go to work in the morning!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

If you like the front light, you'll probably want to get pick up a Paperwhite (if you want to stay with Kindle). They've had some refurbished ones on Woot today for $40 – it was the Paperwhite 2 (not the newest), but I think it still has the same resolution as the Kobo Glo (212 ppi). (they're currently sold out, but they come back.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote