Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
Alice98
Alice98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Question Kobo glo froze on sleeping mode

Hi, I have a Kobo glo (for around 1.5 years now). Yestreday i tried to turn it on from sleeping mode but it didn't work. It happened before when the battery wasn't charged so i simply charged it over-night. In the morning it was still frozen-i tried turning it off, basic reset and even factory reset-non worked. I heared that it might be a broken screen but there isn't even a scratch on it. The wierd thing is that the light is on as well.
*Sorry for bad English*

Thanks in advance!
Alice98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The light is on?

Is it always on, at the same level, or is it off temporarily when you reboot/press the pinhole reset button/hold the power switch for long time, ...?

If the light goes off, and back on again, that suggests the device is rebooting properly but the screen itself no longer receives updates. This could be a broken screen, loose connector, or anything.

If the light stays on and does not change ever, it could suggest that the device somehow had a hard lockup and does not even reboot anymore. If the reset key does not work either, you can either wait until the battery runs out completely (batteries hate that though), or you could open it up and carefully disconnect / reconnect the battery connector to force a power off / reset. I had that happen once with my H2O that nothing else worked.

In this case it could also be the internal microsd card failed.

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-22-2016 at 09:24 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Alice98

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The light is on?

Is it always on, at the same level, or is it off temporarily when you reboot/press the pinhole reset button/hold the power switch for long time, ...?

If the light goes off, and back on again, that suggests the device is rebooting properly but the screen itself no longer receives updates. This could be a broken screen, loose connector, or anything.

If the light stays on and does not change ever, it could suggest that the device somehow had a hard lockup and does not even reboot anymore. If the reset key does not work either, you can either wait until the battery runs out completely (batteries hate that though), or you could open it up and carefully disconnect / reconnect the battery connector to force a power off / reset. I had that happen once with my H2O that nothing else worked.

In this case it could also be the internal microsd card failed.
It's always on unless i try to reset\turn it off. Every few tries it will turn off untill a few tries after it will turn on again.
I'll try to open it up and see if it helps.

thank you!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Replacing the SD card might be worth a try. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Have you tried holding the power button down for 30-40 seconds? With luck the light should go off at some point during that and stay off. That will have turned the device off. Then you hopefully be able to get it to reset or restart. If you never get the device truly turned off it can be caught up in loops and not want to reset or restart.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Alice98

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Have you tried holding the power button down for 30-40 seconds? With luck the light should go off at some point during that and stay off. That will have turned the device off. Then you hopefully be able to get it to reset or restart. If you never get the device truly turned off it can be caught up in loops and not want to reset or restart.
I tried it and the light went off but after a few seconds it turned on again:\

From the comments here i'm pretty sure that the screen is the problem-is there a way to fix a broken screen?
Old 10-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice98 View Post
From the comments here i'm pretty sure that the screen is the problem-is there a way to fix a broken screen?
Depends what's broken exactly.

Basically the only thing that would be trivial to fix is if the connector somehow fell out of its socket.

If the glass substrate is broken - usually this results in visible artifacts on screen but not always - the only way is to get a new screen from somewhere. Usually too expensive / better to invest in a new model. And even if you manage to procure a new screen, you still have to be able to perform the actual replacement & hope that this actually fixes things. If you're unlucky you'll have spent monies on new screen but device still broke afterwards.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
SnowStyle
SnowStyle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hello,

i had similar problem quite some time ago, it was frozen forever, no button or reset was working anymore.
by opening it, i noticed a double-cable (black and red if i remember correctly) was damaged, they were misplaced and each pression on the kobo was bitting them a little, it makes a short-circuit. so it is just powered off.
If it is the same for you, just put some scotch-tape around each cable separatly, and place them correctly so they don't get damaged again.
SnowStyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, glo freezing