Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
jenniann111
jenniann111 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Aura/Glo or Kindle Paperwhite?

So my Kindle touch has recently died and I think it's time for a new reader. I had a love/hate relationship with it over the three years we were together. It was super buggy and I had it replaced under warranty at the beginning (the new one was a bit buggy but I learned the tricks for managing that). The wifi didn't always work and i had to reset it frequently. I'd like to avoid those problems if possible.

I'm looking at these three models because I really dig the idea of a built in light as I most often read in bed at night and hate waking my significant other. I'm open to suggestions, however. Here are some other factors to consider:

Most of my books are kobo format, and I also use overdrive (which in my area seems to have mostly epub). I'm not opposed to buying kindle books but would like to be able to read the books I already own.

I would really like the option to sync books automatically as I sometimes only have my phone or tablet with me and do use ebook apps such as kobo, kindle and overdrive.

I'd prefer something fairly light and portable, but if I can sync books automatically this is less important, as I can read on my tablet or phone when I'm on the go.

Thanks!!
jenniann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
LucCas
LucCas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
My e-book reader

Hello everyone,
I have just registered and I would like to share may experience with Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch and Nook Simple Touch. Now I only have Kindle Touch and Nook Simple Touch. I'm ordering now a KindlePaperwhite because in Brazil, my country, Kindle Fire and Kobo Aura are still expensive.
They all became part of my life as an addiction (really). When I first experienced the possibility of having all my books (not all of them actually) with me, at the reach of my hand, in my hands, it was an addiction. Seriously, as the first part is really the possibility to carry all my books with me, the addiction part is not really true, for I've change and had my KoboGlo forgotten and lost in a bus...
All of them have interesting functionalities and their flaws.

-Kindle Touch plays .mp3 files and audiobooks, although its memory capacity is very low. Kindle Touch has a very bad book pages viewer (I mean, you can't easely change pages to see all your books in a comfortable way. Just two screen touch buttons would be okey - forwards and backwards. But it doesn't have them). Kindle has the best and clearest (I don't know why) screan. Other readers have a kind of greyish images.

-Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo were the best readers in terms of software facility. A slidding bar to move on over your book collection and book collection not attached to any online registration (as occurred with Kindle Touch). MOBI format is read with justification on both sides, left and right. Kindle only justifies the left margin. When you have duplicates in you device (repeated books in your device) just to see how they are displayed, Kobo Touch and Glo tells you which format you are currently opening. That is very important when you want to know which format has the best appearance and readability.

-Nook Simple Touch seems to have the longest battery duration. Very easy to use, but the screen resolution was not the best, when compared to Kindle Touch. However, it is has much better software the KoboTouch. The screen was very responsive and it has physical buttons to move pages backward and forward, so that you don't leave traces of your fingers on the screen.

So, as a conclusion, my ideal e-reader would have the screen whiteness of Kindle Touch; a screen resolution of Kobo Glo; software functionality of KoboGlo, external buttons FORWARD and BACKWARD of Nook; SD card expansion up to 33Gb and jackplug for mp3 files. That would be the perfect e-reader. In terms of specific book functionality, the e-reader should come with a good internal monolingual and bilingual dictionary.

If your new Kindle Paperwhite can offer you some of the characteristics above, it will be a good device. However, no device will be perfect if it does not offer you a battery that lasts at least a week. That is one of the reasons I didn't by a Tablet even when a Tablet can offer thousands of functionalities.

I hope I helped a bit.
LuCas
LucCas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Speaking of bugginess -- the Kobo has a much bigger reputation for being buggy. Then again, I am not accustomed to hearing complaints about Kindles being buggy (Cloud Collections aside).

In all fairness, though, many people handle their Kobos without any bugginess. It kind of has to do with which features you use, or so I've heard.

The only crashes I ever get on my Kindle come when a website crashes the hacked browser I installed. Hardly the Kindle's fault...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, glo, kindle, kobo, paperwhite