Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Question Glo updated and Nightmode doesn't work

(please move this thread if it's not in the correct folder)

Hello All ... it's been a looooonnnnggggg time since i visited.

I have an older Kobo Glo ... the "kobo" graphic at the bottom of my eReader is white, not dark.

Quite a few years back, my device updated to a firmware version (I don't even remember which one) that "broke" everything. I came here and used the instructions to install an earlier version. I reinstalled the Nightmode mod and everything worked fine. I know I rolled back to version 3.something

Since everything was doing what it was supposed to, I turned off Wifi and simply sideloaded everything from either Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre.

I figured, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, something happened over this weekend. I don't know if I was changing a setting and accidentally turned on the Wifi or if I fell asleep when it was on and bumped something ... heck, the cat sometimes turns the pages, so it might have been something she did! (and, hey! how come the cat brushing by turns the pages, but I sometimes have to touch it three or four times???)

Anyway, I grabbed the Kobo this morning on my way out the door. I was shocked when I turned it on! BIG changes! It's been updated to firmware version 4.18.13737 (0f26e9d78c, 9/30/19)

After initial panic, I poked around a bit, I have all my books, including library books, and I decided it wasn't horrible.

Of course, Nightmode doesn't work anymore, as I knew it wouldn't.

I downloaded kobo-nightmode_build 13 and followed the instructions ... it didn't work. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. It still doesn't work.

It's been so long since I tinkered with the "guts" that I don't want to go much further with out some expert advice.

My hubby and I really like the Nightmode ... it's too bright, even at the lowest percentage ...

How do I get Nightmode working? Is there anything else I need to know about the newfangled Version 4+?

Susie
Kansas
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Type devmodeon in the search box, and then nightmode will be an option in Settings > Device Information > Developer Options
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2019, 12:18 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
Well, something happened over this weekend. I don't know if I was changing a setting and accidentally turned on the Wifi or if I fell asleep when it was on and bumped something ... heck, the cat sometimes turns the pages, so it might have been something she did! (and, hey! how come the cat brushing by turns the pages, but I sometimes have to touch it three or four times???)
Easy, because it is a cat. Though, I would usually think they would tap you when they wanted the page turned.
Quote:
Anyway, I grabbed the Kobo this morning on my way out the door. I was shocked when I turned it on! BIG changes! It's been updated to firmware version 4.18.13737 (0f26e9d78c, 9/30/19)

After initial panic, I poked around a bit, I have all my books, including library books, and I decided it wasn't horrible.

Of course, Nightmode doesn't work anymore, as I knew it wouldn't.

I downloaded kobo-nightmode_build 13 and followed the instructions ... it didn't work. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. It still doesn't work.
That's the wrong version. In firmware version 4.2.8283 there were changes that meant that version of the nightmode stopped working. The correct version to use is linked in the post.

Or, follow @issybird's instructions. Kobo added some support, but, it isn't completely official.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Easy, because it is a cat. Though, I would usually think they would tap you when they wanted the page turned.

That's the wrong version. In firmware version 4.2.8283 there were changes that meant that version of the nightmode stopped working. The correct version to use is linked in the post.

Or, follow @issybird's instructions. Kobo added some support, but, it isn't completely official.
I followed @issybird's instructions, and that works; however, I really liked the convenience of simply using the button to toggle on & off.

I know @davidfor said "in firmware version 4.2.8283 there were changes ...", but I have an earlier version ... 4.18.13737.

I did follow the instructions, however.

I went to the above post ... George Taulsan, dated 1-19-2017. I followed the link in that post to github.

Annnd ... there I got confused ... really, I DO have an extensive background in many computer aspects, but not this one!

I see where I can "find file", I see a link to an "installer" folder, and I see a link to the zip folder of build_13, which is the wrong file.

I went to the installer folder and downloaded the koboroot.tgz file.

I figured I'd better uninstall what was already there. I copied the koboroot.tgz file from the uninstaller directory under build_13 on my computer.

And ... ACK! It completely reset! Now it's asking me for a set-up language and how I want to set up ... I picked via computer and it wanted me to go to kobosetup.com. However, there is nothing on that webpage that will help me.

I backed out of everything and tried it with Wifi ... except both of my Wifi passwords won't work because the keyboard won't accept the letters "c", "f", or "r" in either lowercase or uppercase! I've tried everything!

What's up with that????

Should I change one of my passwords to not use those letters? Is there something else I can do???

HEEELLLLLLPPPPP!

What now????

Susie
Kansas
Old 10-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Well first, 4.18.13737 is newer than 4.2.8283 which is read as 4.02.8283 in comparison rather than 4.20.8283 essentially just take the actual shown number in this case 18 vs 2

You can try cleaning your screen, which might help with it picking up those presses. If that doesn't work you can change the wifi password but your Kobo not recognizing those taps is troubling.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

As far as not recognizing the taps ... I really think it's extremely dry skin on my part rather than anything with the device. If I'm wearing "conductive gloves", the devices recognizes the taps 100% of the time.

I will change my wifi password so I can connect and see if that gets me out of the set up portion of the device.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
As far as not recognizing the taps ... I really think it's extremely dry skin on my part rather than anything with the device. If I'm wearing "conductive gloves", the devices recognizes the taps 100% of the time.

I will change my wifi password so I can connect and see if that gets me out of the set up portion of the device.
FWIW, The Glo uses IR, not capacitive, for it's touchscreen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

SIGH ... okay, I changed my Wifi password to not use the letters that don't work.

It connects to the Wifi fine, then it says there is a Network Error and it couldn't update.

Is there a way to re-install the firmware without using the Wifi or the webpage that doesn't work (kobosetup.com)??

I can connect to the computer, and the computer does recognize the device.

Thanks,

Susie
Old 10-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #9
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
SIGH ... okay, I changed my Wifi password to not use the letters that don't work.

It connects to the Wifi fine, then it says there is a Network Error and it couldn't update.

Is there a way to re-install the firmware without using the Wifi or the webpage that doesn't work (kobosetup.com)??

I can connect to the computer, and the computer does recognize the device.

Thanks,

Susie
I used the webpage kobosetup.com yesterday. You go there, click the download button in order to download the kobo application for windows or mac, and then setup using the application. I did that literally yesterday, so not sure why you aren't able to get that to work. I just checked and the website opens just fine, looks identical to yesterday.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, and the reason you can't update via wifi is that they did a security protocol change that meant an older protocol would no longer work. This was because the internet standards have changed since the device was released and the older protocol is no longer deemed acceptably secure.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #11
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Here's where to click at kobosetup.com:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-10-16 22-28-35.png
Views:	133
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	174286  
Old 10-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Ok if the website isn’t working for you you can also do a manual update which isn’t actually that much more work.

This thread has a post for all the updates to 4.18.etc for the various Kobos. Simply download the one for the Glo unzip it and put the contents in the .kobo folder on the kobo drive. There should be three things you’re copying over from the contents of the zip file.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323394

Note that some people have reported it takes awhile for the update to finish. Just let it run.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #13
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

Well Jeez! It didn't occur to me to download the desktop app in order the set up the Kobo Glo!

I assumed that was in order to, you know, read the books on my computer!

SIGH ... okay, I will try that ...

Well, it thinks it is doing something ...

It's just spinning and the progress bar isn't progressing ...

Ah ... looks like it is finished!

WHOO HOO!

I'm back!

My books are gone ... but that's okay! I have everything I've purchased backed up in Calibre and I can just re-do my library books!

The keyboard is still wonky ... I can't use "c", "f", or "r" ... but, at this point, I will just only look up words that don't use those letters!

Susie
Kansas
Old 10-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

You can try cleaning your screen, which might help with it picking up those presses. If that doesn't work you can change the wifi password but your Kobo not recognizing those taps is troubling.
Quote:
... The keyboard is still wonky ... I can't use "c", "f", or "r" ... but, at this point, I will just only look up words that don't use those letters!

Did you try MGlitch's suggestion? Especially look for obstructions under the bezel that align with those letters.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Did you try MGlitch's suggestion? Especially look for obstructions under the bezel that align with those letters.
I suggest this as well, but don't just clean the screen. Also either use a soft-bristled brush or canned air and brush/blow under the bezel. It's usually crumbs or larger pieces of dirt that get stuck under the bezel that cause the issues you're having with some keys not working.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, nightmode, update