Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
CC uses 2 different ports, depends on how (Wireless device connection | Content server) you connect. 9090 | 8080 are Calibre defaults.

Did you try the things from the CC FAQ? http://faq.calibrecompanion.co/

Wireless / remote connections have many players in between. It only takes one balking to gum up the works (and that is just for a LAN type connect. Try from outside that: OMG) .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #17
Sosakan
Sosakan began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad/kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
CC uses 2 different ports, depends on how (Wireless device connection | Content server) you connect. 9090 | 8080 are Calibre defaults.

Wireless / remote connections have many players in between. It only takes one balking to gum up the works (and that is just for a LAN type connect. Try from outside that: OMG) .
Yeah, tried anything applicable from the faq and have manually set the ip and port on all devices for content server. I’ve also tried on different networks to no avail. My network is a bit wonky and weird, which might be a problem:

Connection from wall
I
Comcast modem/router
I . I
Ethernet run to my room. First WiFi network
I
Unmanaged network switch
I . I
Laptop Secondary router
. I
WiFi

Clear as mud? Good! My internet works 80-90% of the time, but for what I pay and having to use Comcast, it could be worse. I’m no network guru and I’m sure it could be done better, but this is the cheapest way I could do it with my crappy skills.
Sosakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #18
Sosakan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosakan View Post
Yeah, tried anything applicable from the faq and have manually set the ip and port on all devices for content server. I’ve also tried on different networks to no avail. My network is a bit wonky and weird, which might be a problem:

Connection from wall
I
Comcast modem/router
I . I
Ethernet run to my room. First WiFi network
I
Unmanaged network switch
I . I
Laptop Secondary router
. I
WiFi

Clear as mud? Good! My internet works 80-90% of the time, but for what I pay and having to use Comcast, it could be worse. I’m no network guru and I’m sure it could be done better, but this is the cheapest way I could do it with my crappy skills.
Took too long to edit my diagram failure....

Quote:

Connection from wall
To
Comcast modem/Router
To both an...
Ethernet run to my room and my First WiFi network (tortwire1)
Ethernet goes to...
Unmanaged network switch
Splits to my
Laptop and a Secondary router
Which gives Me WiFi network 2 (tortwire2)

Clear as mud? Good! My internet works 80-90% of the time, but for what I pay and having to use Comcast, it could be worse. I’m no network guru and I’m sure it could be done better, but this is the cheapest way I could do it with my crappy skills. I have also double checked to make sure all relevant devices were on the same network, so no noob mistake there!
Old 08-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I assume that you want 3 different networks for some reason?
(wired, tortwired1, tortwired2)

If not, you really want to use the tortwired* as access points. Try and put those routers into bridged mode (those do not want DHCP turned on. The Comcast will supply all DHCP services)

Also,(not an expert here), private addresses (192, 172, 10) do not route.
You port forward from the WAN side INWARDS.
You can't address something on router 1 (comcast) from tortwired1 or 2. (and never from a tortwired to the other tortwired)
Old 08-21-2019, 12:25 AM   #20
Sosakan

Quote:
I assume that you want 3 different networks for some reason?
(wired, tortwired1, tortwired2)

If not, you really want to use the tortwired* as access points. Try and put those routers into bridged mode (those do not want DHCP turned on. The Comcast will supply all DHCP services)

Also,(not an expert here), private addresses (192, 172, 10) do not route.
You port forward from the WAN side INWARDS.
You can't address something on router 1 (comcast) from tortwired1 or 2. (and never from a tortwired to the other tortwired)
So, confirmed, my network “solution” is janky as heck! 90% of what you said went wayyy over my head. Could you dumb it down and maybe give me a list of things (in order) I need to do? I have the very basic principles down - I can DO what needs doing, but I lack the requisite knowledge to know WHAT to do. I’ve tried learning this stuff on my own, but certain subjects are very hard for me to wrap my mind around. I can build you a pc, program a basic app for it, but the second “networking” is needed, I’m out of my depth.

Thank you all for the continued help!
Advert
Old 08-21-2019, 12:27 AM   #21
Sosakan

Also, I have no need for three networks, it’s just the only way I know how, other than an expensive mesh setup to get internet all over my apartment. If you can help me simplify it all to one ssid I would be forever in your debt!
Old 08-21-2019, 01:24 AM   #22
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
1. google "access point"
2. use one router only, set everything else to be access points, wired back to that 1 router. read the manuals for how
3. consider hiring a geeky teenager to do it for you - they are cheap & they know everything

[ FYI I also have 3 devices, and various switches, but 2 out of 3 are setup as access point, so I only have one router.. CC works fine.. each access point has its own SSID so that I can see that I am connecting to.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:41 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats

stumped had it.
1 router: The Comcast one, since that is your access to the World (and MR)

If it has WiFi. Put it UP high so the signal does not need to go thru all the stuff at floor level.
The Arris (Xfinity branded) units don't seem to have problems covering a whole house with WiFi at my sisters place.
Mine is in the middle of a smaller (apartment) place and I get very good WiFi (Laptop, phone and Tablet) all the rest I have wired (TV's, Blu ray's, MFC, Desktop PC's)
You may need to change channels, if your device see very many OTHER WiFi.

Also 1 network. Use 1 SSID (all AP are wired to the main router). They should run in 'cellar mode' if they are the same brand (a true AP will. Businesses and other large venues use just 1, the AP hands you off to the strongest signal, just like you cell does)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:43 AM   #24
Sosakan

Still reading up on access points now, will try to implement everything tomorrow providing all goes well.

At 36, I am still hesitant to farm out my tech to young’uns quite yet I also am stubborn, and given some direction prefer to brute-force it if I have to...so I can learn...yes.

Thanks stumped and theducks, I appreciate the help more than you know!

Should I put the xfinity router in bridge mode?

Last edited by Sosakan; 08-21-2019 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:16 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

up high is key
you dont need line of sight to everything but you want the router to be not close to large lumps of metal or glass. the absolute worst location is often where an ISP installer puts it, on the foolr, downstairs, behind furniture.
if your router is not deigned to be wall mountable , put up a little shelf. I made a corner shelf based those glass/perspex things that folks buy for bathrooms.

for experimenting, you can get free apps for phone or tablets that show wifi strengh and speed , so you can go around the house measuring the signal, then go back & tweak router location - redo...
My virginmedia hub is made by Arris, and covers the whole house reasonably well from an upstairs central bedroom, but I added access points for fast streaming in specific locations. the 5Ghz band is best for speed but is worst for going thru walls and ceilings

here is vriginmedai video tips for best location:
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/get...fi-signal#hub3

wifi is not as efficient as wired but you should get about 50% of the advertised broadband speed over wifi with a well positioned router. e.g. I have 200Mbs wired, & I can get 100+ on wifi to a tablet from an access point in same room- which is way more than I actually need.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #26
samcohen
Connoisseur
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry for the late response. I don't know the exact answer to your question as I have just inherited some of the technical debt. We are working on some fixes to the content server in the new update that I will hopefully release soon. Sorry I'm not much help.
samcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #27
Sosakan

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
Sorry for the late response. I don't know the exact answer to your question as I have just inherited some of the technical debt. We are working on some fixes to the content server in the new update that I will hopefully release soon. Sorry I'm not much help.
Thank you all for the help! I’ve turned my pc, network, and Calibre library upside down and inside out trying to fix this thing, with no luck.

Thank you Mr. Cohen for responding. I guess I will just have to wait and hope the newest update fixes my problem. If not, and people are still willing, I’d like to continue troubleshooting/brainstorming solutions.

Thank you all very much!
Old 08-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #28
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This is a reply to a PM that the OP sent me. He suggested that I add it to this thread, which is a good idea.
-----
I no longer am involved with CC development. I do help people from time to time if the question is straightforward, which yours is not. The CC developer is samcohen.

As for your problem, it is almost certainly related to routing on your home network. Setting up a routed network requires one to be extremely careful about IP ranges and routing tables. No two subnets can have the same IP prefix. The routers must know how to redirect packets between the networks, which means that they must know where the networks are "located" -- e.g. the routing tables.

In order for CC to work, the device must be able to "ping" the calibre computer and vice versa. If either ping does not succeed then local connectivity is broken. If the pings do succeed then the next test is to connect from the mobile device to calibre's content server (browser, not CC). If that doesn't work then probably the anti-virus on the calibre computer is blocking access, but it could be other things such as firewall or wireless isolation. If it does work then CC should work if given the correct IP address and port on the calibre computer.

CC's auto-connect will not work on a routed network. It uses broadcasts, which are not propagated by routers.

Things can fail if there are multiple paths between the device and the calibre computer, because packets can be routed off a cliff.

Good luck,
Charles

Edit not in the PM: And as theducks said, routing private networks is problematic. It can be done, but doing so requires routing table magic. The reason: the entire point of a private network is to avoid polluting the public IP space.

The solution is to pick a large private network space, for example 10., and subnet it. For example, in your case you might have subnets 10.1., 10.2., and 10.3. Routing would be (relatively) easy to set up, and there wouldn't be any need to route outside the local network.

A better solution is to use one private net with several access points (bridges), as suggested by several people.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #29
stumped
Wizard

It may be useful to give this a blue sky rethink.
Ignoring what you have now, what would you want an ideal network to support i.e. what devices would you like to be able to connect and at what speed, and in what rooms. Included in that is which ones are in fixed positions. E.g. big TV, which need to work while you wander about .e.g.smart phones. Which need a lot of data, fast.g.4k netflix, which need only a relatively small data flow e.g. smart hifi speakers, Alexa devices, Google home...
One you have that sorted , look at what tech setup could deliver it.
Unless you have a 20 room mansion, a single well placed router / hub with some form of extensions should suffice..
The modern approach is to have a mesh WiFi which covers the whole house but you may find that is overkill for your actual needs. For example, my own WiFi signal dies in the garage, but I don't actually NEED WiFi to work in the garage.
As for calibre companion, do you really need the ability to download books to devices in every room of the house, could you maybe get it working in one location, close to your router, and settle for that?
Old 08-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #30
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
It may be useful to give this a blue sky rethink.
Yes. Then try to fit the results into what equipment one already has and hope it works.

I did something like this when I had an ISP router and several Netgear wireless routers. I turned the routers into bridges (access points) and spread them around. This worked, sort of. Unfortunately internal roaming didn't work well.

I now have a three node Linksys mesh system connected to a Virgin router in modem mode. The mesh boxes are connected by cable. They are located near desktop computers, so the desktops can also connect using cable. This system work very well for me. None of the desktop machines use WiFi. The portable devices that do roam seamlessly as I walk around, with no blackout spots. The cost: some £180, which may put it out of reach of some people. You get this price by using a 2-band router instead of 3-band, which is OK if the backhaul is cabled.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote