Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2016, 03:23 AM   #1
barlowrm
barlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle
Order of custom fields in "Edit Metadata" form

Dear all,

I have added some custom fields to my library. They all show up in the "custom Metadata" tab of the "Edit Metadata" window, which is fine.

AFAICT, however, they appear in alphabetical order, according to their header (not the lookup name).

Is there a way to alter that order? I know I could just prepend to all headers a number, so that "01 zzz" would come before "02 aaa", but I was hoping in something less invasive.

On a similar note: is there a way to split the "Custom metadata" tab into different tabs, maybe with custom names, and decide where the custom fields must be displayed?

Thanks for your help,

Andrea.
barlowrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:18 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@barlowrm - There are 3 basic options in Preferences->Behaviour->Edit metadata (single) layout. And there are two tweaks that provide further control over the custom column edit panels - 'Number of columns for custom metadata in the edit metadata dialog' and 'Order of custom column(s) in edit metadata'

I find it easier to enter, and change metadata in the book list. I have a couple of Views (via the View Manager optional PI) with different column layouts, and one can drag columns around for one off situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowrm View Post
On a similar note: is there a way to split the "Custom metadata" tab into different tabs, maybe with custom names, and decide where the custom fields must be displayed?
No there's no way to do that, short of diving into the code.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
barlowrm
barlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beautybarlowrm does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle
Thanks @BetterRed,

this is very helpful.

Cheers,

Andrea.
barlowrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Virtual Tabs in Edit Metadata (Single & Bulk)

@barlowrm:

Quote:
On a similar note: is there a way to split the "Custom metadata" tab into different tabs
Yes. The way to create Virtual Tabs in Edit Metadata is by using the Job Spy Plus plug-in's GUI Tool named "Protect/Unprotect a Custom Column from the 'Edit Metadata' dialogs (excluding the 'S&R' tab within Bulk Edit)".

Of course, you absolutely do not have to use the Favorites plug-in to use this GUI Tool, but many people do.

See the attached image, plus the related images in the Original Post of JS+:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269911

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js_protect_unprotect_custom_column_autoapply_then_restart_example.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	153069  
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@barlowrm - There are 3 basic options in Preferences->Behaviour->Edit metadata (single) layout. And there are two tweaks that provide further control over the custom column edit panels - 'Number of columns for custom metadata in the edit metadata dialog' and 'Order of custom column(s) in edit metadata'

BR
I'm probably missing the obvious, but which of the 3 basic options should I use in Preferences->Behaviour->Edit metadata (single) layout? No matter which I select, there doesn't appear to be any difference in the actual custom metadata screen.

Also, I can't find 'Number of columns for custom metadata in the edit metadata dialog' and 'Order of custom column(s) in edit metadata' in Edit metadata (single) layout.

What I'd really like is not to show the subseries stuff.

Thanks for any help.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hiding Custom Columns from Edit Metadata Tab via JS+

@peaceridge:

Quote:
What I'd really like is not to show the subseries stuff.
Easy.

The JS+ GUI Tool "Protect/Unprotect a Custom Column from the 'Edit Metadata' dialogs (excluding the 'S&R' tab within Bulk Edit)." was designed exactly for that purpose.

See the image attached below for an example.

JS+ OP: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269911

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js_protect_unprotect_custom_columns.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	920.3 KB
ID:	153098  
Old 11-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DaltonST Thanks so much! Seems to be working just great and is exactly what I wanted. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269911 has been a great help. However, clicking the eye icon doesn't do anything - do I need to set something so it shows the last defaults?
Old 11-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
DaltonST
Deviser

The icon itself is used only to invoke the Job Spy job dialog tool itself. You have to have run a job for it to show anything. The OP explains it. Configure your personal N via customization per the JS+ menu.

DaltonST
Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I'm probably missing the obvious, but which of the 3 basic options should I use in Preferences->Behaviour->Edit metadata (single) layout? No matter which I select, there doesn't appear to be any difference in the actual custom metadata screen.

Also, I can't find 'Number of columns for custom metadata in the edit metadata dialog' and 'Order of custom column(s) in edit metadata' in Edit metadata (single) layout.
They are in Preferences->Tweaks, type 'metadata' in the Find box and click Next until you find them.

BR
Old 11-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
They are in Preferences->Tweaks, type 'metadata' in the Find box and click Next until you find them.

BR
Thanks, this is also a great way to get what I want.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Thanks, this is also a great way to get what I want.
Safer too - a) you're not dependent on a plugin, b) or the exploitation of undocumented features. As in all things - less is better, least is best

BR
Old 11-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #12
peaceridge
Guru

BetterRed Trying your method -
What is wrong with my syntax?

content_server_will_display = ['*']
content_server_wont_display = [‘#subseries’,‘#read’,‘#toarch’,‘#notes’,‘#dateread ’,‘#pages’]

calibre, version 2.72.0
ERROR: Failed: There was a syntax error in your tweak. Click the show details button for details.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\tweaks.py", line 505, in apply_tweak
File "<string>", line 5
content_server_wont_display = [‘#subseries’,‘#read’,‘#toarch’,‘#notes’,‘#dateread ’,‘#pages’]
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Old 11-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@peaceridge: don't use forward (’) and reverse single quotes (‘). Use only straight quotes (') as shown in the examples.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@peaceridge: don't use forward (’) and reverse single quotes (‘). Use only straight quotes (') as shown in the examples.
Thanks so much, guess I'll copy and paste as my keyboard doesn't have the straight ones!
Old 11-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Thanks so much, guess I'll copy and paste as my keyboard doesn't have the straight ones!
If you're using Windows check your language Input Method setting, I sometimes switch to EN English (United Kingdom), IIRC its default IM produces angled single quotes so I swapped it to US International. There's an option to reset settings to default try that first.

BR