Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2020, 02:06 AM   #1
dnmmx
Enthusiast
dnmmx is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Kindle PW4 Minimum Brightness

Hey everyone,

I have PW4 with JB.
I want to know if it is possible to have minimum brightness lower than what's provided at level 1 i.e. Default minimum brightness. The reason is at night even the minimum brightness looks too much. I have tried the dark mode as well, but I think we all can use lower than minimum brightness at some point in time.

Everyone's input will be appreciated. Thanks.
dnmmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:13 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
No news since
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313191
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
dnmmx
Enthusiast

Thanks @hius07 for your answer.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmmx View Post
I have PW4 with JB.
I want to know if it is possible to have minimum brightness lower than what's provided at level 1 i.e. Default minimum brightness. The reason is at night even the minimum brightness looks too much. I have tried the dark mode as well, but I think we all can use lower than minimum brightness at some point in time.
I don't have a PW4, but there is a KUAL extension to fine tune current brightness that works on a Voyage, but the file names are likely different on a PW4.

What are the files in /sys/class/backlight/

( ls -l would be best to see which are ordinary files, directories, and symbolic links. )

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ighlight=light
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
dnmmx
Enthusiast

Hi J.p.s.
Here's the screenshot for you from PW4

https://ibb.co/6vWKL4F

By the way the extension or settings up the value doesn't change the brightness. Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Btw, change in actual_brightness also doesn't make any changes.

Last edited by dnmmx; 12-13-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Advert
Old 12-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi J.p.s.
Here's the screenshot for you from PW4

https://ibb.co/6vWKL4F

By the way the extension or settings up the value doesn't change the brightness. Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Btw, change in actual_brightness also doesn't make any changes.
The extension can't work on a PW4 because the contents of /sys/class/backlight/ are different, that is why I asked, because I do not have a PW4. Also, please use text instead of a photograph or at least use a screenshot. You can use the "screenshot" command in the terminal or tap 2 diagonal corners of the display.

When you did the echo > 1 command, did the screen get dim?

If not, there is nothing you can do.

If it does get dim, you can change all instances of max77696-bl in the script to bl.

/sys/class/backlight/actual_brightness is readonly. You can't change it.

You can save text output from a command like this:

ls -l /sys/class/backlight/ >> /mnt/us/command_out.txt

Then you can copy command_out.txt to your PC.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:32 AM   #7
dnmmx
Enthusiast

>>> When you did the echo > 1 command, did the screen get dim?
No, it did not get dimmer.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
>>> When you did the echo > 1 command, did the screen get dim?
No, it did not get dimmer.
Then hisses and boos go to amazon.

Tags
kindle, kindle pw4, paperwhite 4