Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds as if they add extra metadata, in that case. "Standard" ePub metadata doesn't include series information.
Gotcha. I guess Kobo does the same as you can add series to ePubs there (I don't believe it is limited only to kepub).

Too bad Nook doesn't have a larger user base.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Gotcha. I guess Kobo does the same as you can add series to ePubs there (I don't believe it is limited only to kepub).
For Kobo, the series info is not taken from the books. In fact, for purchased books, none of the metadata comes from the books. It comes separately from server. I assume the Nooks do something similar, but, I had never heard they displayed the series info separately.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
What ever Calibre does to ePubs, it works on the Kobo H2O original (mostly).
Order a collection by Series seems to work.

I have a collection with 25 books. One has only one member of series, one has 7, one has 14 and one is a PDF not in a series.

In Book view (outside a collection) by Author or Title or recent the series isn't so relevant? I'm not sure.
Book info shows the series text set in Calibre. I'm using the extended driver with the extended features (makes kepub on the fly) unticked. Also the extra css global file use in root unticked. The Basic Kobo driver doesn't seem to work so well.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
In Book view (outside a collection) by Author or Title or recent the series isn't so relevant? I'm not sure.
Book info shows the series text set in Calibre. I'm using the extended driver with the extended features (makes kepub on the fly) unticked. Also the extra css global file use in root unticked. The Basic Kobo driver doesn't seem to work so well.
If you are not converting to kepub on the fly, the KoboTouch driver does everything the KoboTouchExtended driver does (the code base is pretty much the same). Using the two step process to update metadata has caused me no problems with sending series using either driver (transfer book, let the Kobo import it, reconnect and update metadata).

Or were you referring to the Kobo Reader device interface driver? That one as it says is for the original and Kobo WiFi devices (the ones with the D-button navigation).

Not only is the series information visible in multiple views, it is also searchable which is very handy when a series has multiple authors. OTOH, I do not use collections. Once you get to the point where you would either have over 800 collections or collections with hundreds of books, they are basically useless. Search? That I depend on.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What ever Calibre does to ePubs, it works on the Kobo H2O original (mostly).
Order a collection by Series seems to work.

I have a collection with 25 books. One has only one member of series, one has 7, one has 14 and one is a PDF not in a series.

I rarely need to correct DNSB, but when he said, "the code base is pretty much the same", he is wrong. The KoboTouchExtended driver subclasses the KoboTouch driver, so the base code is the same. The differences are only where the extended driver adds functions. And as you have turned those options off (not using kepubs, and not modifying the CSS) it doesn't do anything that you would see.

So, can you please tell me how the KoboTouch driver doesn't work as well?
Old 01-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Series wasn't displaying in order in collections
Problems format of transferred books
Freezing needing a reset.
Collections becoming empty.

The extended driver with those two options off is fine. It's possible that there was some other problem with the Kobo running some sort of background task and it was a co-incidence? Or that something got confused because I disabled extended plug-in to change over. I only found the GUI location to do that later, though I did restart calibre.

It's all very mysterious how the Kobo behaves. I've now switched header & footer on and page update to every 3 not every page and most of the time the selection for adding a note is faster, though still very slow. Inexplicably sometimes as fast as it used to be and then next note might be 12 seconds! Occasionally a highlight doesn't appear, but menu does, adding note works, yet still no visible highlight afterwards.
I've been reading how to go back to earlier firmware (the one where I can dismiss all but the MRU icons might be good. Is that 4.2x or 4.3x?), however it's not entirely clear to me how after a factory reset the automatic update is avoided. It doesn't seem to mount till after the registration and update sync is done. Or is there some mysterious tap of display involved just after selecting Factory Reset?

I agree, it makes no sense that the base driver isn't fine, unless I messed up how I selected it, or I need to re-enter configuration when I change.
I should try it again?
Not till I've finished current proof reading / notes. I'm 36% and maybe it helps the speed when I import all the annotations every 250 to 400 or so and then delete them on the book. I think I've never had to do so many. My own more recent books run at 25 to 300 (first draft of 120K words) , this looks like having over 2,000!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Series wasn't displaying in order in collections
Did you choose the appropriate sort order? Or do you mean the series info wasn't being set? If so, it means you hadn't configured the driver correctly. And in fact, had turned something off from the default.
Quote:
Problems format of transferred books
As the KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended driver do not make any changes to the book code when those options are off, and other changes such as metadata are handled by the same code elsewhere in calibre, that means the problems were probably in the books.
Quote:
Freezing needing a reset.
Not caused by the driver.
Quote:
Collections becoming empty.
Which means you hadn't configured the driver correctly.
Quote:
The extended driver with those two options off is fine. It's possible that there was some other problem with the Kobo running some sort of background task and it was a co-incidence? Or that something got confused because I disabled extended plug-in to change over. I only found the GUI location to do that later, though I did restart calibre.

It's all very mysterious how the Kobo behaves. I've now switched header & footer on and page update to every 3 not every page and most of the time the selection for adding a note is faster, though still very slow. Inexplicably sometimes as fast as it used to be and then next note might be 12 seconds!
I do a lot of highlighting/annotations across my devices and don't see any issue like this. There is a bug which will freeze the device and need a sleep/wake cycle to get it going. It usually happens for me when I highlight from right-to-left, but is inconsistent. And I can sometime trigger it with a careless swipe. But, it happens a lot less with recent firmware.
Quote:
Occasionally a highlight doesn't appear, but menu does, adding note works, yet still no visible highlight afterwards.
That probably means the highlight includes the last word of a paragraph that started on the previous screen. And that the paragraph ended with only one punctuation mark. And if you just try to highlight the word, it will either turn the page or show the menus. It does what would happen if you tapped the word, so it depends on where on the page the word is.
Quote:
I've been reading how to go back to earlier firmware (the one where I can dismiss all but the MRU icons might be good. Is that 4.2x or 4.3x?), however it's not entirely clear to me how after a factory reset the automatic update is avoided. It doesn't seem to mount till after the registration and update sync is done. Or is there some mysterious tap of display involved just after selecting Factory Reset?
There is a lot of discussion on how to do this. Including in a thread over the weekend.
Quote:
I agree, it makes no sense that the base driver isn't fine, unless I messed up how I selected it, or I need to re-enter configuration when I change.
I should try it again?
It is purely up to you. The extended driver is not adding anything you want. But, if you change, you need to copy the configuration. If you change, you won't notice a difference.

But, for the record, with the number of annotations you are doing, you would probably be better to use kepubs. The highlighting is easier, faster and has less bugs (I can't remember if the first above happens, but the second is definitely epub only). It might depend on what you are editing for. If it is the words (spelling, grammar, language, plot etc) and basic style (headings, italic, bold, paragraphs), then it doesn't matter. If it is the exact style, then it might. But, my opinion is that there isn't enough difference in the style handling between the epub and kepub renderer to be important. At least for the first pass where you will find the most problems, doing it as a kepub will be easier.

And if you are trying to get anything more than basic styles working on every device out there, then go and ask in the epub forum here about how to achieve this. But, tell me so I can have some popcorn ready.