Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #29761
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just finished Barbarians at the Gates by Christopher G. Nuttall. This is the first of his Decline and Fall of the Galactic Empire Trilogy. I have had this on my TBR for a long time. I enjoyed it and give it 4 out of 5.
Now I am starting Fairhaven Rising 22 nd in the Saga of Recluce by L. E. Modesitt Jr.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #29762
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I plan to start City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett on my Kobo this evening.

I am currently reading The Complete Stories by Clarice Lispector in paper. I'm reading one story at a time, every few days or so.
I did start City of Miracles and it is flying by at a good clip.

I am about 100 pages into Lispector and feel like I am being rewarded for taking my time.

I started listening to James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small this morning. I've never read it or seen the TV series.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:23 AM   #29763
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Gently Does It by Alan Hunter, which I got back in July 2013.
Which was delightful, and set (to my surprise) in Norwich! (OK, he's changed the place names, but it's clearly Norwich.)

Next I read The Deadly Mystery of the Missing Diamonds by T E Kinsey, which was almost perfect. I loved the characters and the setting, but I felt the reaction to the murder was a little muted. (It was a freebie from Amazon UK in their First Reads category in February - still time to get it if you have Prime and haven't chosen one yet.)

And now I'm starting Some of the Best of Tor.com, 2011. A freebie I picked up in 2012.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #29764
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, I don't think you are missing all that much. I liked the first one, was meh about the second, and never finished the third.
There's something plasticky and shallow about this series, to me at least. Sanderson has fast turned from favorite to unreliable.
Luffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #29765
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 2 star review of Hold Tight, by Harlan Coben:-

Spoiler:
The plot plod like a plow in pudding. I'm off Harlan Coben. He's not the author to distract my attention when I need it.

I asked for the minimum and for a while things looked hopeful. But I think that it takes real hard work to write a story on multiple fronts.

Harlan Coben ought to think like a writer who wants us to enjoy his books, not merely buy them and then grow tired of them like a lamp from IKEA. He seems easily satisfied and I'm strongly deliberating that the genre is moribund to me.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #29766
Kyle Connor
Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Getting back to reading after ages, and I've decided to start with rereading Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Always loved teeny bopper adventure series with a mythological/magical twist! Guilty pleasure, I must confess.
Kyle Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:00 AM   #29767
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Almost finished with the novel A Gracious Plenty (library download), which I'm tempted to give five stars at Goodreads.
SeaBookGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:18 PM   #29768
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Connor View Post
Getting back to reading after ages, and I've decided to start with rereading Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Always loved teeny bopper adventure series with a mythological/magical twist! Guilty pleasure, I must confess.
No need to feel guilty about it! Read what you enjoy reading.

Have you real the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer? If not, I recommend them.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:23 PM   #29769
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20,Kobo Clara HD
I finished The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. Next up is Like, Follow, Kill by Carissa Ann Lynch. Just going to read a mystery in between the Scalzi books.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:22 AM   #29770
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm starting Some of the Best of Tor.com, 2011. A freebie I picked up in 2012.
Which was an excellent collection of shorter science fiction. Recommended.

Next up: A recent freebie, Skip Langdon, vol.1 by Julie Smith. Let's see if I like it. I have the next 8 volumes to add to my TBR if I like the first.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #29771
Luffy
Wizard

My 5 star review of The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) by C.S. Lewis:-

Spoiler:
I read the C.S. Lewis books when I was a child. I read one of the books in French, never knowing where to reach for its lost to me siblings.

Now that I've reread this book, I feel that reading was worth the weeds for flowers like this. It's often funny how the expensive e-books are the ones that prove costly and the classics, true to their reputation.

Beyond the Christian mythos in this particular book, I loved most when the boy, the girl, and the flying horse spoke the same words together. Read at your own leisure and to your own satisfaction.

Last edited by Luffy; 03-01-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #29772
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20,Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I finished The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. Next up is Like, Follow, Kill by Carissa Ann Lynch. Just going to read a mystery in between the Scalzi books.
I changed my mind. I'm just going to go ahead and read The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #29773
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did start City of Miracles and it is flying by at a good clip.

I am about 100 pages into Lispector and feel like I am being rewarded for taking my time.

I started listening to James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small this morning. I've never read it or seen the TV series.
I will stick it out with All Creatures Great and Small because the narration is excellent, but I really, really dislike both Farnons.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #29774
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I will stick it out with All Creatures Great and Small because the narration is excellent, but I really, really dislike both Farnons.
I'm currently listening to it as well (the new version with Nicholas Ralph narrating), and I'm quite enjoying it. And while I originally found Siegfried seriously annoying, as the stories go on, he's growing on me. Tristan, on the other hand, is annoyingly callow.

The new TV series is good, though I'm not sure it's as true to the books as the original was. But certainly good enough that I'm hoping it returns for more.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #29775
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm currently listening to it as well (the new version with Nicholas Ralph narrating), and I'm quite enjoying it. And while I originally found Siegfried seriously annoying, as the stories go on, he's growing on me. Tristan, on the other hand, is annoyingly callow.

The new TV series is good, though I'm not sure it's as true to the books as the original was. But certainly good enough that I'm hoping it returns for more.
I'm nearly 2/3 of the way through and I am finding Siegfried rather beastly. Even through Herriot's "he is not a monster to me and wants me to learn" lenses, he is really quite awful to everyone in his own way. He takes just about as much responsibility for things as his brother does, he just does it with a more distinguished reputation so he gets away with it.