Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
How to Force a F/W Update?

How do you force the Sony Firmware Updater (PRS-505 Updater.exe) to update the firmware on my eBook reader?

It says I currently have 1.1.00.18040 and refuses to go any further!

I have got a modified version of this f/w present (with modified fonts) and I want to go back to an un-modified std reader - so is there anyway to force the Updater by making it think it is newer than the version on my PRS-505?

Thanks
NigelS
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Yes - the exe can be treated as a ZIP file and expanded by an unzip utility, after which you can edit the contents of a data file (eBookUpdater\assets\updaterAssets\PRSVersion.dat - change the version number it thinks it's installing (to a bigger number)) such that it thinks it's going to install a later version than it really will. It doesn't change the version it's installing but it does mean it passes the test that's currently stopping you from upgrading.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Thanks, I knew there must be a way. Actually in the end I got round it by hacking one of the scripts, so it didn't disable the Update button when the version number were the same. This way I was able to run the update anyway.

Job done.

NigelS
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
vilord
vilord began at the beginning.

Sorry to drag this thread back from the dead... but I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!
I got a demo unit from a friend, and modifying the script allowed me to replace the demo software with the current version!

Thanks again,
-Jesse
vilord is offline   Reply With Quote