Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
bob_bookworm
bob_bookworm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to just add a cover page in a pdf file without converting it?

Hello,

There is no way for me to avoid this looking a silly question, so to cut it short here is my problem:
I do not want to convert the pdf file, I like it very much the way it is... I just want to add a cover page because the original file does not have one.

I tried with the 'change cover image' option within the conversion menu, hoping that would just add the cover page, but the file gets converted anyway and it is no longer readable the way it was.

Any simple way out?

Last edited by bob_bookworm; 10-08-2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: More precise title
bob_bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Use "Polish book". One of the options is to update the cover, and it will add one if there isn't one already.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
bob_bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Use "Polish book". One of the options is to update the cover, and it will add one if there isn't one already.
Thanks, but isn't that supposed to work only for EPUB and AZW3 files?
Mine is a PDF file.

Last edited by bob_bookworm; 10-08-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_bookworm View Post
Thanks, but isn't that supposed to work only for EPUB and AZW3 files?
Mine is a PDF file.
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. In that case, I have no idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If this is a "one off" thing, you could perhaps use the free trial of "Scrivener", a link is provided in this How To. If it works and you may do this often it might be worth the $40, it is a writer's tool with many good features.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
bob_bookworm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
If this is a "one off" thing, you could perhaps use the free trial of "Scrivener", a link is provided in this How To. If it works and you may do this often it might be worth the $40, it is a writer's tool with many good features.

Luck;
Ken
Thanks!!!
Will give it a try
Old 10-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@bob_bookworm - try Open Office Draw (it might need the PDF File Import plug-in) - free.

If this is something you want to do regularly you might want to consider getting a 'real' PDF editor, such as Acrobat DC from Adobe or PDF XChange Pro from Tracker. You can get a 'free' trial of PDF XChange Pro, not sure about Acrobat DC.

Added: PDF files don't have 'covers' as a specific object, the first page is the 'cover', irrespective of whether it's an image or text. So you need to 'insert an image' at the start of the PDF.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-08-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: See Added
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_bookworm View Post
...I do not want to convert the pdf file, I like it very much the way it is... I just want to add a cover page because the original file does not have one.
PDF Split and Merge will allow you to add or remove pages to a PDF file, and PrimoPDF and PDF Creator will allow you to add pages to a PDF file.

They are all free and a Google search will turn them up straight away.

You do, of course, have to have a cover page in PDF or another acceptable image format (jpg, etc.) to add.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You can also, use the free Gimp2 to make your cover image and Gimp can even export it as PDF. ( I expect a PNG would work fine though.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:16 AM   #10
cgrapski
Enthusiast
cgrapski began at the beginning.

I too have the same interest. I asked if this could be added as a feature. But Kovid's concern is there is no metadata for cover in a PDF file - so no way to check if it is duplicating the existing cover.

To me the issue is not one of batch conversion - but of amending one file at a time - when I know the cover is not the proper cover - and I have the proper cover in Calibre's database.

But the Polish Book option WOULD DO IT - if it COULD DO IT for a PDF file.

I wonder if it would be possible for that plug-in to be updated - to specifically have an option that handles PDF file covers - to add the Calibre jpg for that file as the first page of the PDF. The plug-in - as you point out - does that but only for the epub family, not for PDFs which it doesn't currently handle.

But maybe it can be tweaked to add this functionality for PDFs - even though it is not necessarily going to add all the plugin's functionality for PDFs - just the add cover. It seems to me (although I am not a programmer) that this would not be too difficult - as you can add a page to a PDF from outside of Acrobat (and add it in position as first page). And you can import a jpg or convert a jpg into a page of a PDF file.

I just wouldn't know how to write the script.
cgrapski is offline   Reply With Quote